The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Colors

While filling out a registration application for a mare I came across the following color options:
    Dark Bay
    Black Bay
    Brown
    Dark Brown
    Brown Black

What is the difference ?
    Thanks !
    Last edited by Elfe; Dec. 30, 2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Senior moment !

Ugh, why do they do that

I've never seen a black bay who wasn't actually brown (dark seal brown). If your guy is "black" in his body, but has a brown muzzle, I could see using this option.

Brown is about the only obvious color IMHO - horse is like...a brown crayon or something LOL

Dark Bay is something I *might* see as referring to, maybe, a mahogany bay.

Brown black? WTH?

I don't know, you might just have to ask them, as they really aren't making sense LOL

I can help with some of those.

Dark bay is still clearly a defined bay . You can clearly see the red influence on the body, but it's dark - - as opposed to a blood bay or bright bay.

A black bay is a horse whose body appears black or a very dark chocolate (I think of it as dark chocolate candy, as opposed to milk chocolate); however, in the winter, their muzzle turns brown and their nostril edges are lined with black. Their ears also clearly define a black at the tips and a dark chocolate appearance elsewhere on the ears.

In some registries "brown" are those horses who could fall into the black-bay category, but maybe have streaks of real chocolate brown hair in their mane and tail. Their body could be in the milk chocolate spectrum heading towards the dark chocolate. They're not quite bay as the hair does not take on the red sheen, but much too dark or the wrong shade of coloring to be classified as a liver chestnut.

Dark brown is an intensification of the brown color to a deeper shade of dark chocolate.

I have never had a brown-black category to choose from, but I would guess that would be an even deeper color to the dark brown category. The winter coloring is going to be a major indicator. In all brown and bay horse categories, the muzzle hair grows in as BROWN with black rims. Albeit that brown may be quite dark, but never will be it be truly black. It will always have a chocolatey appearance if you compare the hair to something that is a true black.

The muzzle hair of a truly black horse in the wintertime is going to be very black.

The black muzzle color of the summertime hair cycle is not an indicator of black or brownness, since many colors of horse have black muzzles, including grey and chestnuts. You only notice the brownness come through in the wintertime coat.

That's the best way I can think of to describe these.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the help, but I am still unsure about what applies. Her German papers state the color as being " Dunkelbraun" which I figured to mean dark brown.
    I have another mare, who was already registered when I bought her, who is described as "brown" and yet she is darker than the first mare !
    Here is a video with the mare in question, she is the one being hand walked while her foal is racing around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2N9s..._order&list=UL

Thanks !

I would put her as dark brown as that's what she is - dark seal brown

Its even harder to figure it out because most of us are registering while the horse is a FOAL - often before they've even shedded out. So some of them darken (or lighten) quite a bit. Why not just use bay, black, chestnut, and maybe "dark brown" (for those almost black horses with the brown muzzles)? Urgh!

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Its even harder to figure it out because most of us are registering while the horse is a FOAL - often before they've even shedded out. So some of them darken (or lighten) quite a bit. Why not just use bay, black, chestnut, and maybe "dark brown" (for those almost black horses with the brown muzzles)? Urgh!
    Wholeheartedly agree ! BTW, that is the way the Jockey Club does it, they have obviously figured out that making it too complicated only leads to confusion.

Once I have the mare registered, I also have to register her filly. I have no idea what color she is. Her winter coat seems to be a dark shade of bay, but she is darker underneath. If I wait until she is older to register her, it will cost more.
    Ugh!

Elfe, do you have any pictures of her newborn but dried off?

Based on the video, I would describe the mare as dark bay and the foal as bay.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

I wouldn't use dark bay for the mare, not at all, not when dark brown is a choice . The mare is clearly brown of some shade, and she's very dark. She could easily be mistaken for black, but I do see the browner muzzle and brown highlights in her flanks

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Yup. Arabians have Black, Bay, Chestnut or Grey (for PBs lol).

I'd pick Black Brown for the mare, and bay for the foal.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).