The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Acceptability of tool trunks as tack trunks in higher level barns?

So this might seem like a silly, petty question(hence the alter), but I'm just wondering. I got a working student position in a higher level(A and AA shows) barns, and I definitely can't afford a custom tack trunk and would rather not spend the $150+ for a plastic one either. But I was just wondering, among higher level barns, is using a tool trunk acceptable, or should I suck it up and buy an actual tack trunk? TIA

It probably depends on the barn, some prefer wooden trunks of any style and then a cover in barn colors with your monogram while some prefer custom trunks in barn colors. If you can get a cover to throw over the tool trunk, no one would ever even know 90% of the time. If you're going to leave it uncovered, don't be surprised if your trunk gets sentenced to a life of hiding in the corner of the tack room or at the end of the shed row at shows.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Your post assumes that all top level barns are the same. I'd just ask whomever hired you whether you can get away with it....they may have some out of the way storage area where they'll let you put it even if you aren't in the main aisle. Communication is key--I've seen trainers sometimes give working students an old trunk to use that's been hanging out in the barn. Best just to communicate with them directly rather than to worry and speculate and spend money on the wrong thing.

Reason #1,999 that I could never be a hunter.

Even in my rural, hours from any rated show world (but the barns show rated), the hunters have the nice wood trunks. With custom covers. I don't know if it's negotiable.

I love the eventing shows, where my $59 rubber maid beheamoth with wheels is all the rage....
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

Well, I would ask whoever you have been in contact with at this barn. Most barns really don't care, some provide trunks, etc. but if they are REALLY that concerned with what you keep your horse stuff in, that strikes me as slightly pretentious. Just slightly.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

If I may quote the immortal Joan Crawford: "No plastic tack trunks!"

That having been said, I don't think it's reasonable for anyone to expect you to buy a $900+ box in custom colors for a barn you'll work at for a short time (and for free, no less).

If the trainer is a bit Joan, he/she can hook you up with an old one of the barn's pattern. Any Joan hunter trainer worth the name has some of these around.

I don't think you need to ask anything more than "where would you like me to store my equipment?" Let trainer work it out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks guys! I asked, and they said they have one I can use. Smart idea!

Quote Originally Posted by akor View Post

Even in my rural, hours from any rated show world (but the barns show rated), the hunters have the nice wood trunks. With custom covers. I don't know if it's negotiable.

I love the eventing shows, where my $59 rubber maid beheamoth with wheels is all the rage....
    So true

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default It's not acceptable, but don't worry about it.

They will either hide it in the tack room or find you one to use. I have willed old tack trunks when I've left barns to girls just like you. And I remember when I got my first Warner's trunk and it was the most exciting thing ever. Due to moves across country, barn moves, barns changing colors, barns changing trunk colors, barns deciding that my old trunk in their colors that used to be the right size was now too big and needed to be smaller, I have lost count of how many trunks I've had. I currently have an Oakcroft that is six months old and I did not need on the DAY OF DELIVERY. So, trust me, they will have a trunk for you at the barn. Don't worry about it. Now, if I just knew where my Mark Watring trunk was... I could really use it for Thermal this year

Saw that youll get to use a tack trunk at the barn which is great, but when you do eventually buy a tack trunk, make sure you get a plain wood one rather than one with custom colors. While they look awesome when youre at that barn, you wont be at that barn forever and its about 300 bucks to get the vinyl replaced. plus, a nice wood trunk will always be acceptable at a show barn, and its easy to replace covers.

Do you have a crafty father? Mine is making me a solid oak tack trunk out of material he had sitting around. He does woodworking as a hobby, so really mine is free as there is no labor charge. I think that one could be made by a hobbiest for rather cheap, maybe 200 or so? It would be worth looking into if you would like your own, and they are much nicer than the comercial ones!

Glad that you found something at the barn you're at! I have used a big rubbermaid for years (not having the funds for a $900 trunk) and my friend at the barn gave me one of her old covers. You couldn't tell the difference, until you opened it of course .
    I agree that when you do decide to purchase a trunk that you go with a classic wood. I found a great site- http://www.sawhorsellc.com/ with nice trunks at lower prices than I've seen around.

Glad they were able to find a trunk for you to use.

For anyone looking for a well made, affordable wood trunk, Tom Burt at Westbrook Hunt Club in Ct is making some beautiful ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageOverFences View Post
    Saw that youll get to use a tack trunk at the barn which is great, but when you do eventually buy a tack trunk, make sure you get a plain wood one rather than one with custom colors. While they look awesome when youre at that barn, you wont be at that barn forever and its about 300 bucks to get the vinyl replaced. plus, a nice wood trunk will always be acceptable at a show barn, and its easy to replace covers.
    Good advice. We only use wood trunks at our farm too (but the covers are made in the barn colors). A quality solid-wood tack trunk never looks bad in any barn, and it never goes out of style.

Plus, you can even re-purpose it into a cute coffee table one day, if needed!

In a big show barn, I would go with a nice wood tack trunk.
    You don't want to take a "toolbox" to a big "AA" show.

Quote Originally Posted by ewaggoner View Post
    Glad that you found something at the barn you're at! I have used a big rubbermaid for years (not having the funds for a $900 trunk) and my friend at the barn gave me one of her old covers. You couldn't tell the difference, until you opened it of course .
    I agree that when you do decide to purchase a trunk that you go with a classic wood. I found a great site- http://www.sawhorsellc.com/ with nice trunks at lower prices than I've seen around.
    Thanks for the link, I'm going to order a few for the new show season.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bird View Post
    In a big show barn, I would go with a nice wood tack trunk.
    You don't want to take a "toolbox" to a big "AA" show.
    I take my "toolbox" to AA shows. I do have a cover for it, though, and don't expect it to be displayed prominently in the tack room set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by akor View Post

Oh for Pete's sake. Why is their rural location relevant? People living in rural areas shouldn't have nice stuff? And it's not just hunters...the jumper riders probably have nice tack trunks too.

OP - you got some good advice. Until you settle down with one barn, I'd stick with the wood trunks. The vinyl ones are pretty too, but it's really pricey to change the vinyl. (This from someone who cheaped out on getting my name on the top of my trunk.)
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Silly Alter....go ahead and invest in a nice but inexpensive trunk....you will have a need for one in the future if not exactly at this time in your career.

At my barn I do not care what the trunk is made of as I have purchased several covers for my clients to use at shows and at home. I do not expect them to purchase a new trunk just becuase they chose my faciilty, but i do require neatness in the barn and at shows....therefore the "uniform" covers.

Perhaps that would be an option for you....to purchase a cover in the barn's colors....inexpense from Dover!

I found a really nice, big, good condition wooden tack trunk on Craigslist for 100 bucks. Check on ebay, CL, etc. Also, my local Dover had a floor model with some issue where the varnish was cloudy that they were willing to sell to me for a discounted rate. It would have been fine with a cover. Hope this helps!
    Professional hunter princess