The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blankets for shark fin withers?

My new TB is quite high withered and narrow over his back. It's gotten cold the past few nights, and he's been wearing one of the extra blankets, a Weatherbeeta, that while the correct size, really does not fit his shape. No matter how I adjust it it slides back and rubs his shoulder and withers.
    What are some fairly inexpensive medium or heavy weight turnouts that might fit him better? Something that comes higher up on the neck, maybe, and will not get pushed back by his big withers?

Schneiders Stormsheild v-fit/v-free whatever it's called LOL

I have an Amigo Mio that really fits my shark fin TB nicely.
    Rider's International blankets were another that I tried that really rubbed him raw.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Schneiders Stormsheild v-fit/v-free whatever it's called LOL
    This^^^
    I have both the sheet and blanket, and have used them on different horses, and they fit great, with no rubs. They're still waterproof after 4 yrs.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Agreed on the Schnieder's, I have Morgans and Saddlebreds which tend to be high withered and these blankets fit great.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

This is my "wither" mare. If that blanket fits her without harming her withers, it will fit anyone

Default another vote for schneiders

this year I got this new vtek one for my high withered saddlebred and love the fit. every other type i have tried has rubbed her mane off.

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...band-turnouts/

i bought this new briton v-free one also but the neck opening is a bit too open on her, it does not rub the mane but it seems to slip back a bit on her whereas the v-tek one stays put.
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...band-turnouts/

I have found good luck with high neck blankets - both an off brand heavy weight and a Centaur mid weight. I'm glad I went with high necks because my cooler I (rarely) layer underneath is not, and it rubs his withers even after 12 hrs
    “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”
    -Winston Churchill

Ditto the Schneiders blankets.

I like the high neck blankets with my high withered arab. I find it even helps to put the standard neck over the high neck blanket when I need to layer.
    I use what is now seems to be a combined neck rather than a detach a neck. I would think the mid neck one would work the same way.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Orican high neck and Schneiders Vtek or Vfree or whatever. Both of these blankets work well on my horse with huge withers.

Another vote for the Schneider's V-Tek. I have 2 for my TB with withers like the Himalayas, plus a low back. They are very reasonably priced, fit great and wear very well. They are by far the best fit for him out of everything I tried.

What about the Rambo Wug?

Dalemma

I love the Rambo Wugs but they thin my horses mane about 6 inches in front of his withers and my horse with high withers ended up with wither sores. I use the Schneiders V-Tech wither relief blankets on him now and love them!

I would not use a Rambo Wug, IME they rub a big-withered horse terribly.

The Schneiders are great. I've also used the Rider's International stuff with great success.

Can anyone vouch for the waterproofness of the current Schneiders? I have many of them, probably 5 - 8 years old, and while they wear like iron not one of them can withstand any kind of moisture. I'd like to buy more, but don't need the headache of blankets that won't keep a horse dry.

I bought a Schneiders turnout sheet last winter or two winters ago and washed it frequently last and it was waterproof to the end of the season.
    I washed it over the summer and resprayed it with waterproofing spray. I respray all of my waterproof blankets at the start of the season.
    It is still waterproof and in great condition.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I use Rhino Wugs. They don't rub at all, and they're the easiest blankets to put on and take off. Here's a pic of my high-withered mare that really shows the withers, and another with her wearing one of her Rhinos. I probably have tried every blanket on the planet and will only buy Rhinos now.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...bold50/266.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...bold50/076.jpg

Just curious about what I can do for my shark fin tb. I have a Saratoga Primaloft blanket liner that seems to fit a bit tight over the withers when she puts her head down to eat. The contoured rump causes the blanket to slide back a bit. She takes a 78" size... Unfortunately it's a closed front blanket. I wanted to buy another one another size up but was wondering if the blanket would just slide back a bit further and still end up being tight over the withers? Would it help if I cut a slit in the top of the neck and make it into a cutback version??? I want to use the Primaloft...but this is the only style of Primaloft liner that I can find

My wither-y mare HATES her Schneider's blanket. HATE HATES HATES. It pulls on her chest something fierce. I've also found the 1200D blankets don't hold up at all, and the neck opening on *some* of them are so big that they just don't fit anything. I dislike one of mine so much I'm giving it away.

My mare tolerates her old Dover Dominick, which of course they no longer make. But she prefers them to weigh as little as possible too.