The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *cough* because I need one more dog

I have two already. Well technically they're my mom's dogs. They refuse do do anything for me and are spoiled rotten for my mom. I just want to be able to have a farm dog to hang out with me (it gets pretty lonely doing chores all by yourself). I miss obedience training, I want to try agility, and I want a "best friend" I can hike/run/bike with. I found this ADORABLE aussie/cocker puppy for adoption. The best part is that he is being fostered on a farm and is cat/dog/horse/chicken socialized already. I am IN LOVE. He's going to be a med sized dog which is what I want, and I love working with Aussies! But I don't need another dog right?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Not many people actually NEED any dog, let alone dog #3. But it sounds to me like this dog needs a home and you have a spot that would work. As long as you have (and can reasonably predict that you will continue to have) the means to take care him, why not? Life is too short to have one dog at a time!

Says me with five of them.

He sounds perfect for you! (Did you really think most people on COTH would try to talk you OUT of another dog

Of course you need another dog!

Where are the pictures?!

I have 11, so I imagine you can guess my answer.

personally aussies and cockers don't do much for me, love a heeler though, but his current foster situatation and socialiazation skills are priceless and he sounds like a great pup, you should go for it

ps- I am trying to decided if I should get the belgian malanois puppy/dog that needs an upgrade should come home with me an our gsp pup/dog (both are 6 months old, am I crazy?)

Of course you need another dog. You ALWAYS need another dog. Sounds really cute too. My cocker, Bailey was one of the sweetest dogs ever...and extremely obedient.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Burbank View Post
    ps- I am trying to decided if I should get the belgian malanois puppy/dog that needs an upgrade should come home with me an our gsp pup/dog (both are 6 months old, am I crazy?)
    Are they the gender? If yes, then you are crazy. If they are opposite genders, go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

yes, Big Grey, they are both boys, mine already neutered, if we get the other he will get neutered

Everyone should have an Aussie at some point in their life! In my most humble opinion, they are the best dogs I have 5 dogs, two of which are Aussies and one of which is half Aussie half Heeler, so I think you can guess my answer
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

of course YOU need a dog..........it's not [I]another[I] dog for you..............the other 2 dogs belong to your mother and are not companions for you.....you stated so in your first sentence..therefore....YOU surely need a dog as YOUR buddy, trained to YOUR needs by YOU.......one that will be at YOUR side at the barn, in the car, wherever...............not an unreasonable desire at all......and it certainly seems as though this dog has a good start on being just what you want....
    BTW, i have 5 dogs, and could rather easily be talked inot 6,
    so this opinion is completely unbiased..