The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2010 Flashback

Not exactly HR, but noteworthy nontheless:
    Count your blessings.
    I think there's a thread in here somewhere about it, but I couldn't find it.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

TOTALLY HR!

This Winter {knockwood!} none of us will be dealing with the HellOnEarth that was last Winter.

I remember threads about ice-storms, power outages and the other "pleasures" that go with horsekeeping in bad weather.

For me it meant clearing a path to the barn 3X daily through the 2-feet+ of snow that seemed to replace itself as soon as I finished shoveling.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

God what a memory.... I will never, ever forget shoveling off the barn roof with snow up to my armpits... I' 6-0... in the middle of a frikking whiteout; or dragging fence repair kits all over the 300 acre farm on a sled tied to my waist with a rope, or dragging the 150#, 1200 amp battery down to the logging skidder... or the 4 months I spent in excruciating pain because I couldn't stop moving snow despite the fact that my right SI was so inflammed it patently refused to heal... or the time the 4wd skidder was on so much ice I couldn't back it up and hand to shoehorn it into the barn aisle... with 3" on either side of the tires... to get enough speed to get over the icey spot.... or cutting the tree off our cousins fence when the wind chill was -7.... or feeding roundbales by pushing them out through the snowdrifts with a bulldozer blade...

On the plus side: Breaking trails with Clydesdales. Snow dolphining on same. Getting to drive a HUGE peice of machinery.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

We had the snow that WOULD NOT LEAVE 2 years ago.

It was so bad that my, then 8 year old, got tired of sledding in the snow.

He still isn't quite ready for a good snow storm.

Of course some of that may have been because he came with me to clean out stalls.

Ah yes. The winter from hell. Tractor practically worthless. Freshly herniated disc. Kitchen renovation in which we tried to install a flitch beam to hold up the roof during a blizzard. Tearing down a wall and discovering a hole leading to the outside. Of course, during another snowstorm with high winds and frigid temps so the house really got aired out. Cutting and hauling wood through the snow. Cooped up chickens. Cooped up dogs. Cooped up horses. Cooped up people.

Good times. And may it never happen again!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling