The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default What percentage of horse women are slobs?

My wife is a horsewomen, and a slob. My sister is a horsewomen, and a slob. I am a horseman, and a horrible slob, although I doubt it has anything to do with horses. Most of the other horsewomen that I have met....are not tidy. So, with no disrespect intended to anyone, what percentage of horsewomen would you consider to be slobs?

And yes, I do understand the composition of my audience. It is my intention to compare these results with those obtained from other sources in the hope of a more accurate detailing of spousal duties and/or performance. Thank you for your time and input.

I am a slob, but fortunately [edit], so my husband is more than happy to pay for my horse habits.

Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up could you ?

Oh, no wait, you just did.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 29, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: to remove offensive language

Well! Uh, welcome to Coth?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I would have to say at least 75%. There are very few horse people's houses I will partake of a meal in. I have the normal clutter associated with children, but because I dislike housekeeping, yet want a clean house, I have a few tricks.

Absolutely no animals in my house. The dog does sleep in the laundry room, but that is as far as she makes it.

No nicknacks whatsoever. Nothing else for me to dust.

Rugs by the doors. NO SHOES IN MY HOUSE. You lose them at the door, other than company obviously.

I think many use time as a reason their homes are dirty, but really, in the 30 minutes a day one spends perusing CoTH, you can make quite a dent in housework

And Kate, Oh no you didn't just say that!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Spousal duties: Husband treats wife like the queen she is, and in exchange, she forgives his shortcomings.

Wife forgives shortcomings, and nags husband to help her with the house chores if he can't stand looking at it so bad, because she knows having a tidy barn/stalls for her horses trumps having a tidy house, and then forgives husband for not helping her with these things because it is one of his shortcomings.

Both must be willing to graciously accept and generously offer massages. If energy permits, other spousal activities may be enjoyed.

And thus concludes my lecture on the spousal duties of an equestrian household as seen by my humble and silly opinionated self.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Default slobs

Kate Wooten, did they get it? No one blinked!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    We did here at work, lol.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I got it, on the second reading! I wonder if the mods did? Hee, hee.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    I'm just trying not to giggle too loud on screen about it....ties in sorta with my 'lesson program' I thought about starting when pole dancing became the 'it' fitness program for middle aged housewives....put a creative spin on riding lessons, teach women to ride horses, and teach them how to use equestrian skills to make hubby more inclined to be happy to pay for it...

my house is fairly tidy. No really huge piles of crap anywhere, I do take out the trash regularly and I sweep, but I may vacuum every 6 weeks. I dont fold clothes, I have a clean pile and a dirty pile.

BUT my barn is spotless and you can eat off the floor. reason, I spend more time there.

Classic Kate, Classic

Most of the horse people I have known through the years don't keep a very neat house. My current trainer does but she also pays someone to help her. My house does suffer a bit because by the time I get home from work and the barn I'm pooped. I wouldn't say it is sloppy but it could be better.
    Thank goodness my husband is a saint about it and does not require bjs to keep me in horses.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    I am a slob, but fortunately I am remarkably talented giver of BJs, so my husband is more than happy to pay for my horse habits.

Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up could you ?

Oh, no wait, you just did.
    You must be slightly better than me, because I pay my own horsie bills. However, he does overlook the lack of cleanliness and order in the house - and doesn't bat an eye at the sparkling barn & attention to detail the horses (and dog) receives. I guess one only has to be just "good enough"
    Cindy

Huh, I guess they aren't real horse people, because the ones I know are not slobs...

Let see, house growing up... Dad married the Pony Club D.C., very clean house, unless you can't forgive all of the horsemanagement training materials laying about in the second living room. Us "kids" were expected to keep things up, and we had a cleaning service that came twice a month.

My own house, clean. Leave your shoes at the door, yes, I have a dog, and cats... and that is why I have to vacuum at least twice a week.

Friends, well, growing up if they could afford $1200 a month in board and training, they usually could afford a house cleaner as well. Clean houses...

HA! Kate... That is what motivates the hubby to clean the house for ME. I believe it was a comedian who said "Housework the ultimate aphrodisiac", I agree with him! Nothing better then coming home to a clean house which I did not have to clean!

I think we also may need to explore acceptable levels of neatness. The house, although I'm responsible only for my room and bathroom is clean. But it's not very 'tidy' stuff stacked everywhere, the dogs leave a lot of hair and I track a lot of hay around, but that's what the broom, dustpan and dirt devil are for. My laundry sometimes makes it into the dressers, but usually just folded and set on top of them, dirty clothes generally make it to the hamper by the end of the day, and dishes are always done.

Sometimes, I wish I could just take the leaf blower to all the dust all the electronics gathers, but the swiffer thingy does the job. It's just motivating to make myself DO the cleaning that's the problem. Parents. MAKE YOUR KIDS DO CHORES! I wasn't even allowed (and I do mean allowed, for some reason there was this belief that I would break everything and flood the kitchen if I did it) to wash dishes until I was 18, married and a mother, had NO clue how to do laundry...my parents did not do me any favors by doing all that for me until it was time to boot me out of the nest, would be much easier if I was already in the habit!

My house is very clean as is my truck, trailer and barn. I do have 2 dogs in the house. I feel like my husband and I have a better quality of life if the house is clean and if I keep up with it regularly it doesn't get overwhelming.

Oh yes, I have the same talent as Kate, but I use it for getting the things that I really, really want!

This is very interesting, please keep the information coming. Also, if possible please include an actual percentage, or at least vote for yourself. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    I am a slob, but fortunately I am remarkably talented giver of ____, so my husband is more than happy to pay for my horse habits.
    Last edited by didgery; Dec. 29, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Figured I'd do it before the mod's did!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Kate Wooten you owe me a new computer. Spewed red wine all over it. : )
    [edit] (ahem) It *does* pay its way.
    Slob? Not a chance.
    Perpetually dirty fingernails? Limited wardrobe choices? Forever-untidy hairdo? Stained sweatshirts? Occasional hair (horse or human) in the sauce?
    Check check check check.
    But, slob??
    Nuh-huh.
    Tidy and neat, generally clean and uncluttered, tastefully decorated (early English hunting lodge), streamlined living.
    The current-future-ex-Mr. HR calls it "Tidy-dirty."
    He also references "Testrostrogen" as the predominant hormone running rampant (amok?) in the horse world.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 29, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: to remove offensive language
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

My house was MUCH cleaner before I got horses. And the yard looked a lot better too. I actually do more weeding in my horses' paddocks than I do at home, and I make sure not to mention such things at home. Their run-ins look better than my kitchen floor at the moment.

lol kate, it's good work if you can get it!