The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    Sorry, but wounds to the muzzle and ears sound a lot more like dogs than a cat. Cougars typically attack from the top not the front. Interesting.
    For that the cat would need something to jump from onto its prey, usually.

In most cases Fish & Wildlife departments across the country refuse to acknowledge the reappearance of predators (cougars, wolves, etc) in their states.

The fact that the FL F&WC biologist confirmed the tracks found at the scene belonged to a cougar, and that the wounds were consistent with those made by a cougar, is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hackinaround View Post
    and the few saying they would shoot to kill if they saw it on their property
    I'm one.

I will not tolerate apex predators near me. I don't care who was there first.

Shoot, shovel, shut up. And I don't miss.

Smile That's no reason not to move to Florida!!!

No, No, No! Panthers, bears, gators . . . no, no, it's the bugs, and the rain rot, and the bugs, and the no-see-ums, and the humidity, the high priced hay, and the bugs . . .

Just kidding, I love Florida! It is a happening place all year round. Come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    I'm one.

The day city folks let flies, fleas, ticks, roaches and mice procreate in their pantries I will consider letting pests and predators do so near my house and barn.

We live in a wildlife preserve and have enough sense not to insist we don't keep our immediate dwellings clear of unwanted critters, be they rats, rattlers or mountain lions.

Mountain lions around here have a territory of about 150 square miles they travel around every three weeks.
    Those territories overlap between mountain lions, so you may see more than one occasionally.
    When one has a litter, they then stay in one place for a few weeks, but generally, mountain lions roam and are solitary.

If one decides the pickings are good in one area and stays around, they are encouraged to move on.
    If they don't, they are hunted down, to protect whoever lives there and their animals, like the one that is staying around my neighbor's place and killed a broodmare recently, if he doesn't move on.
    That is game warden policy, don't let undesirables make themselves at home where they are a danger to humans, be it feral hogs or rattlers or mountain lions, however we have to do so.
    Many years ago, while our bobcats generally are shy and don't hurt anything, we had one that acquired a taste for barn cats.
    She raised two kittens right by the house and all three were then stalking out small pets, cats and house dogs.
    The game warden came, evaluated the situation and shot the two youngsters and the mother moved on.
    He gave the proceeds of the valuable pelts to the local orphanage.

To keep the area you live in relatively safe is pure common sense, if nothing else, just as it is not to let mice raise their young in your kitchen drawers.

It is sad to kill anything, but it is more sad not to take care to keep yourself and those under your charge safe.
    Common sense wins here, unless we want to follow animal rights extremists and keep humans in cages, so animals may have the world for themselves to roam and kill each other without human interference.

Bluey, I will squeeze the trigger without remorse on any animal that can eat my kids.

Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyB View Post
    No, No, No! Panthers, bears, gators . . . no, no, it's the bugs, and the rain rot, and the bugs, and the no-see-ums, and the humidity, the high priced hay, and the bugs . . .

Just kidding, I love Florida! It is a happening place all year round. Come on down!

You forgot the wild hogs and the hurricanes.....and the bugs. I love it here!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

There have been panther sightings in Alabama, but the wildlife department refuses to admit they exist.

No the worst thing is Florida is the tacky tourist. Guys with shorts, black stretch socks, sandals, and a hawaiian shirt knock off. RV's driving 20 below the speed limit, and them taking an hour to park it because they rented it or just bought and don't have a clue about driving an RV. And one of the joys of moving to middle AL from lower is that the Love Bugs don't exist up here.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Bluey, I will squeeze the trigger without remorse on any animal that can eat my kids.

Simple as that.
    If I weren't so opposed to a life long prison sentence I might extend that to include questionable human beings. They worry me MUCH more than wildlife!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Cats do strike in the face-they slap and try to break the neck.

Friend of a friend lost three foals to a mountain lion and all three had cuts to their heads though they died of broken necks. The mares all had cuts on their legs/haunches.

I'm one.

I don't know, the meat might be kindy tasty. You might want to add a step or two in there somewhere....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Lots of mountain men said that mountain lion meat was the best. I'd try it if I had a chance.

The biggest aspect of SSS is the S for Shut Up!

Shoot, Strip, Sear, Salt, Savor, Shovel, Shut up
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    If I weren't so opposed to a life long prison sentence I might extend that to include questionable human beings. They worry me MUCH more than wildlife!
    True. Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

scary!

And i thought all i had to worry about were coyotes and bobcats.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Shoot, Strip, Sear, Salt, Savor, Shovel, Shut up

Our farm straddles a river that just happens to be a Mountain Lion corridor. We see tracks in the snow often. They have not caused any trouble, yet and I doubt they will. Why? Because a cat, any cat, is opportunistic. We have a healthy deer, cottontail, and hare population and any cat is going to hunt the prey that poses the least risk to themselves.

Would I "protect" ours if we had a problem cat? Of course. I'm actually a pretty good shot, I just don't get a thrill out of killing. We do however take certain precautions to prevent possible problems. Foaling is done at the buildings which are well lit and have cameras. Young foals are not on the river, although I think the river poses more threat than the cats. And our stock is well monitored so the cats are well aware that there are people here.

Mountain Lions are solitary hunters and the chances of a Mountain Lion running up and grabbing a horse by the nose is incredibly slim, unless the horse is already down. A horse on it's feet would be a pretty formidable opponent in a frontal attack.

I too, feel bad for anyone losing a horse to an attack by any animal but all too often the wrong animal is blamed. Here in Western SD every time any livestock is killed it is blamed on coyotes or cats and it is almost always domestic dogs.

The foals I mentioned were six months old and in a pasture near the house when they were attacked. Fish and Game said cat was old and thin.

My inlaws live on a river here and have had their horses attacked near the houses every fall. There is obviously a problem cat that comes through that time of year. This year two horses got scratches on their flanks and then hurt on the fences when they tried to escape. They were a stone's throw from the houses; inlaws can hear the cat scream at night. They, and F&G, have tried to catch it but so far no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    The foals I mentioned were six months old and in a pasture near the house when they were attacked. Fish and Game said cat was old and thin.

My inlaws live on a river here and have had their horses attacked near the houses every fall. There is obviously a problem cat that comes through that time of year. This year two horses got scratches on their flanks and then hurt on the fences when they tried to escape. They were a stone's throw from the houses; inlaws can hear the cat scream at night. They, and F&G, have tried to catch it but so far no luck.
    Gutpile + scoped rifle = dead kitty

FIL tried that last year-he slept out in the hayfield by the river most of hunting season and still never got a shot. Though he did get pretty cold by the end of it! It only lasts a few weeks and then the cat must move on b/c the problems end.

Years ago, as I was coming out of the hay barn, a big buck jumped the tall panels into the yard, bending the top pipe and stood there panting, looking at the pond.
    In a second this very light yellow big mountain lion came running up from the dam, that obviously had been chasing the buck, looked at the panels and the buck and decided to leave running back down into the dam.

I wish I had a camera then, but they didn't make disposable ones in those days.