The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,141

    Default Panther Attack Kills Horse in Florida

    Another reason I'm not moving to Florida.

    http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle....349&source=rss
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41,168

    Default

    My neighbor lost a broodmare to a mountain lion last month.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Sorry, but wounds to the muzzle and ears sound a lot more like dogs than a cat. Cougars typically attack from the top not the front. Interesting.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    565

    Default

    This would seem VERY out of the norm for the area. I grew up in Lee/Collier county, and some of my family still lives there. In 18 years of living there and another 5 of frequent-ish visits, I have only ever encountered one panther/wild large cat. Nearly anyone you will meet from the area will tell you similarly. I know numerous horse and farm owners in the area, and this is basically unheard of. Night turn out is absolutely the norm, as it is so hot, and the sun is so bright, night turnout is generally the most humane and common (especially for show horses) way to do it. I feel bad for the owners, but the chances of something like that happening are very, very small. It was a fluke



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    810

    Default

    We had what was thought to be a Florida Panther attack on a horse here in South Georgia (like 15 miles from the state line) about a year ago. There were claw marks and some bite wounds, but nothing too serious. But we've only had one that we know of. The panthers seem to be making their way up here where it's less populated.
    The dude abides ...



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Definitely not a common occurrence, but big cat attacks happen in many regions throughout the country.

    I am glad to see it was a panther. Initially the news was reporting that the horse appeared to have been killed with an ax. Either way, this is very sad for the family to lose their mare. She was 7 months pregnant and her previous foal was recently stolen from the family.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, take a right, FL
    Posts
    4,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    Sorry, but wounds to the muzzle and ears sound a lot more like dogs than a cat. Cougars typically attack from the top not the front. Interesting.
    This is what I was thinking. In fact it sounds very much like what pit bull type dogs will do. I wonder if there were also any dog tracks there or who actually ID'ed the tracks. It could also have been a young panther who was just kicked out of Mom's territory and was desperately hungry. It seems odd that it would not stick around for a meal though if the poor horse died of shock or heart problem/stress.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

    Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *Liz* View Post
    This would seem VERY out of the norm for the area. I grew up in Lee/Collier county, and some of my family still lives there. In 18 years of living there and another 5 of frequent-ish visits, I have only ever encountered one panther/wild large cat. Nearly anyone you will meet from the area will tell you similarly. I know numerous horse and farm owners in the area, and this is basically unheard of. Night turn out is absolutely the norm, as it is so hot, and the sun is so bright, night turnout is generally the most humane and common (especially for show horses) way to do it. I feel bad for the owners, but the chances of something like that happening are very, very small. It was a fluke
    100% grew up in Collier County where my family ran a large boarding facility. In the 20 plus years its been there we had one QH get swiped by what the vet thought was a small black bear. Horse was a total Her Derp and we could totally see him walking up to a bear to say hello. He got a few staples and was none worse for it.

    Saw black bears all the time on our rural road and the neighbor lost a few chickens and a goat about once a year to what fish and wild life said was a female panther roaming her territory.

    The horses most certainly were on early morning or all night turn out most of the year because of the heat. Mosquitoes were much much more a threat to any horses/humans in SW FL then a panther.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    We're in SE Virginia near the Great Dismal Swamp preserve. Lots of bears, bobcats, coyotes, etc.... and if you believe the sightings, panthers also. I do believe that they are here as I've spoken to a few people who saw a panther and they are credible people...not nutcases.

    Anyway, back in 2007 we had a boarder mare that was out all night come in with four really odd parallel scratches running down her side. They looked for all the world like claw marks. We, of course, assumed she did something to herself in the field...horses can get hurt on anything after all...but we never did figure out on what she did that to herself despite looking. The cuts were not too deep and healed eventually. Our fields are open, no woods, no machinery...totally "safe." Anyway, at the time we joked about the "Dismal Swamp Panther" who must have attacked this mare and thought it was funny. It was not that long ago that I spoke to an animal control officer who was involved in an attempt to trap a supposed panther (big cat of some variety) on someone's property and I realized that the horse really might have been attacked by a real panther. Not a warm fuzzy thought.

    A couple years ago in N. Georgia a panther was shot by a hunter. DNA showed that it was a migrating Florida panther and it was a long long way from home. Those cats do move a long ways in search of mates or habitat. There have also been plenty of credible sightings along the Appalachian mountains as well as in the Piedmont regions.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2000
    Location
    Upperco, MD
    Posts
    466

    Default

    And to think I always reassure my horse there is nothing in the woods that can attack us. I live in Maryland, so I hope this is (still) true!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Posts
    707

    Default Mountain lion reserve?

    There used to be a place in FL where Mountain lions were "rehomed". Don't know if it still exists, but maybe a escapee . . .



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    About 20 years ago, a friend of my mother's swore she had a mountain lion/panther in the loft of her barn. She couldn't get the horses in the barn and heard something in the loft. She looked up and there was a mountain lion. She and the horses left and the next day it was gone. Dept. of Natural Resources told her there was no way in Middle Tennessee, but she knew what she saw. And my sister (and others in her office) said they saw a mountain lion on the back road near their office. This building was in an area with a lot of undeveloped hills and farms, also in Middle Tennessee.

    StG



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    I've seen this linked all over my friends and families FB's and what is the saddest to me are the people saying how they would never allow their horse to be exposed to such a monster blah blah. and the few saying they would shoot to kill if they saw it on their property.

    The Florida panther is estimiated to number at about 160 individuals. That is a species on its way to being extinct. It finds its self in that position because of the development of habitat from the east west and north.

    The most violent threat to its survival is human enchroachment.

    Who knows why if it truly was a big cat it attacked a horse could have been sheer hunger and it was spooked off the carcass. They are very shy reclusive animals .. maybe the horse stumbled upon the cat crossings its pasture. All speculation.

    Either way we built our homes on top of theirs in Collier county they deserve to be there and if some of our lifestyle get bruised every so often because of it so be it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fl...herHabitat.png
    Is just an idea of how much we really do over lap their home turf.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2005
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackinaround View Post
    I've seen this linked all over my friends and families FB's and what is the saddest to me are the people saying how they would never allow their horse to be exposed to such a monster blah blah. and the few saying they would shoot to kill if they saw it on their property.

    The Florida panther is estimiated to number at about 160 individuals. That is a species on its way to being extinct. It finds its self in that position because of the development of habitat from the east west and north.

    The most violent threat to its survival is human enchroachment.

    Who knows why if it truly was a big cat it attacked a horse could have been sheer hunger and it was spooked off the carcass. They are very shy reclusive animals .. maybe the horse stumbled upon the cat crossings its pasture. All speculation.

    Either way we built our homes on top of theirs in Collier county they deserve to be there and if some of our lifestyle get bruised every so often because of it so be it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fl...herHabitat.png
    Is just an idea of how much we really do over lap their home turf.

    I completely agree with this...

    Also ears and face dont make sense - We had a moutain lion attack here in CO - one of my friends horses and he jumped on her back and tried to take her down that way - luckily he failed and both ended up fine.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    My guess EquineLVR if it was a FP it was young hungry and inexperienced. It did not sound like the horse had enough wounds to be able to tell if it was actually killed by the cat vs died from shock /stress.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    Here is the article about the Florida Panther shot in Georgia that apparently walked 650 miles from Florida.

    http://www.ajc.com/news/mountain-lio...he-111249.html

    Here is an even more amazing story more recently of a lion that travelled from the Dakotas to end up road killed in Connecticut. This happened this summer.

    http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...3963244430.txt

    http://granitegeek.org/blog/2011/07/...-south-dakota/



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2004
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    4,808

    Default

    My Mother grew up in North Florida/South Georgia. She has often talked about the 'panner cats' and their eerie screams.

    I am sorry for the horse owners. But also wish there is a way the FL panther can survive.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2011
    Location
    Coastal Marsh of Texas
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    It's easy to tell the difference between cougar tracks (or any cat) and dog tracks.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2008
    Location
    Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World
    Posts
    6,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    Definitely not a common occurrence, but big cat attacks happen in many regions throughout the country.

    I am glad to see it was a panther. Initially the news was reporting that the horse appeared to have been killed with an ax. Either way, this is very sad for the family to lose their mare. She was 7 months pregnant and her previous foal was recently stolen from the family.
    I'm glad to read that also, as our paper also reported it as an axe killing, and that make me sick to my stomach.

    I've been here 7 years, and have not heard of any attacks in my immediate area.

    There were reports of a black bear roaming around our little "town", not sure if it was true or not, but probably was.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2001
    Location
    Rosco, GA
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    Our local animal shelter used to have two panthers that were confiscated by sheriffs from a guy in a bar. I wonder how many of those panthers are being released by idiots who got in over their heads. A guy in New Mexico used to trap them to send to Florida for a program to strengthen the genetic pool, as the difference between Florida Panthers and the ones he was trapping was insignificant, so I wonder how reliable the reports could be about the panther sightings being Florida panthers?



Similar Threads

  1. Off course thread on horse vs pitbull attack
    By Cruisesmom in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 3, 2011, 05:51 PM
  2. Man jailed for pitbull attack on horse.
    By Equibrit in forum Off Course
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2010, 04:39 PM
  3. The Pink Panther Learns About Horses
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul. 29, 2010, 11:08 AM
  4. Replies: 213
    Last Post: Nov. 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness