The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wool Quarter Sheets?

I want to get a quarter sheet for my horse. I really like the old Shire's Newmarket one that is wool, but it is not cut out for the saddle. How important do you think it is to have a cut out for the saddle versus one that goes under the saddle. I tried the Rambo Newmarket polar fleece one that is cut out, but it has a funny cut and doesn't sit right on my horse. Would love to hear from anyone who has the older original Newmarket. A new Shire's QS is $150.00 vs. $79.00 for the Rambo polar fleece

Whenever I've ridden with a quarter sheet, I do not pull it off once the horse is warmed up--I leave it on for the duration of the ride. If you're planning on leaving the sheet on for the ride, you don't need a cut out.

If you'd like to warm up with the sheet and then remove it, you WILL want a cut out. I have found the quarter sheets with the cut out fit best if I put the sheet (the "arms" around the cut out) in between the upper and lower flaps of the saddle, rather than under the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    If you'd like to warm up with the sheet and then remove it, you WILL want a cut out.
    Or you can learn to tuck the quarter sheet up around you. I have two wool quarter sheets and after a winter riding racehorses in Ireland I can't imagine using anything with a cutout. If it is cold enough to use a quarter sheet I am usually going to do a long, slow warm up followed by short intense work and then a long, easy cool down. When I do that I leave the sheet down for the warm up, tuck it under me for the 15 minutes of good, hard work, and then let it down for the cool down.

Just tuck it up like this when you are saddling:

http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/26

and then when your horse gets warm tuck it up by folding the back of the quarter sheet forward between your bum and the saddle and taking the lower back corners and tucking them under the stirrup leathers on each side. It is surprisingly comfortable and easy to do.

I like to sit on mine if all I am going to do is walk out or warm up in walk. Nice and cozy for both of us .

Centaur makes some nice wool quarter sheets. You can do a google search, but here is a quick link:
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...mpaign=ER90267
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I have a Centaur from Bevals. It is very nice, with the cut out.

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Shires QS. Is it thick and bulky? Costco_Muffins?

I LOOOOVE my Shire Newmarket quarter sheets! So warm and old school...not too bulky and the highest quality. You will be very happy you went with one-its classic and timeless. A great investment.