The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2001
    Location
    New Amsterdam
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Does anyone know what the toxicity levels for horses (like mcg per day will = toxicity) for the fat soluable vitamins? Also mineral toxicity levels?

    I ask because we always are warned (and we repeat these warnings) not to 'feed too much' because of toxicity...but how much is too much?

    ****
    NEW YORK HORSE RESCUE



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2001
    Location
    New Amsterdam
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Does anyone know what the toxicity levels for horses (like mcg per day will = toxicity) for the fat soluable vitamins? Also mineral toxicity levels?

    I ask because we always are warned (and we repeat these warnings) not to 'feed too much' because of toxicity...but how much is too much?

    ****
    NEW YORK HORSE RESCUE



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 1999
    Location
    A place called vertigo
    Posts
    12,489

    Default

    Vitamin A is the only really one that comes to mind, but it is such general knowledge and most sources (for people and animals) are in the form of betacarotene. When the body needs more A, it will break down the betacarotene. You will turn bright orange before you overdose on betacarotene, it's a very safe way of getting A.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2001
    Location
    New Amsterdam
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Thanks, Flash! So where would you see the orange on a horse if they were getting too much? On the sclera of the eye, perhaps? You can see jaundice there...maybe it works the same way.

    A, D, E, & K are all fat soluble vitamins....so the ones possible to overdose. Not that too much of the water soluble vitamins can't cause problems too, but its less of a problem. And we hear a lot of cautions about getting "too much" selenium....so if anyone knows how much is too much of any of the above, I'd appreciate the info.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,978

    Default

    From a website on selenium toxicity:

    "The maximal tolerable level of selenium in horses is estimated at 2 mg/kg of diet (NRC, 1980), and the LD50 for orally administered selenium is considered to be approximately 3.3 mg of selenium (as sodium selenite)/kg of body weight (Miller and Williams, 1940). Copper pretreatment can increase the LD50 markedly (Stowe, 1980)."

    And, according to the chart on this page, Vitamin A is toxic at 200,000 IU, D is toxic at 18,000 IU and it's unlikely that you could give enough E, B1 or B2 to be toxic.

    Found this info in a 5 minute google search on equine vitamin A toxicity.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2003
    Location
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Thanks, Simikie-- that vitamin page is now on my favorites list!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2001
    Location
    New Amsterdam
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    thanks Simkie!

    I didn't put 'equine' in my search string and wasn't finding it.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,978



  9. #9
    RzngBbz Guest

    Default

    Even though the "toxic" levels of Vitamin A are listed as 200,000 IU/day and Vitamin D are listed as 18,000 IU/day, remember that when doing horse rations it is recommended not to exceed 100,000 IU/day of A and 10,000 IU/day of D.

    Vitamin A above those levels can interfere with calcium absorption and create a calcium deficiency, which then leads to the horse pulling calcium from the bone for basic metabolic processes. This can then lead to osteoporosis in our horses.

    Vitamin D in excesses over 10,000 IU/day can lead to soft tissue calcification which then leads to arthritis in our horses. Just a little more info on the subject!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2003
    Location
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Ditto on the selenium. While 2 ppm of the total diet is the "maximum tolterable" (by which I gather they mean something along the lines of "there ain't a horse alive that can tolerate it"), the recommended range is MUCH lower: .1 to .3 ppm of diet. According to Karen Briggs, in Canada it is mandatory that feeds containing supplemental Selenium print the warning: "Do not permit intake of supplemental selenium to exceed 0.3 in the total ration (hay or forage plus grain)." According to a study cited in the NRC, supplementation of 1 ppm/day for horses 1 to 6 years of age produced Se blood levels in some of the horses "considered well above the concentration associated with myodegeneration." (p. 17).



Similar Threads

  1. Magnesium toxicity
    By Meadow36 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: Sep. 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
  2. Construction site toxicity?
    By TheHorseProblem in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 14, 2011, 10:21 PM
  3. Selenium Toxicity
    By Equilibrium in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov. 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
  4. Selenium Toxicity- Am I feeding too much?
    By Not So Practical Horse(WO)man in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jul. 11, 2009, 07:34 AM
  5. Aluminum Toxicity?
    By Magzilla in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2009, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •