The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    993

    Default Barn Drama Junkies??

    So, I have several horsie friends who live/board in various locations around the country and of course every barn has an occasional dramatic event/boarder, if you will. However, my one friend is at a barn with crappy care and a lot of drama - it seems to consume her now that Facebook exists and she can be tuned in to it 24/7. Its all she ever talks about.

    However, when I suggested that perhaps she try to find a new barn she was horrified by the idea that she wouldn't know anyone at a new barn. Um, if your current fellow boarders are the bunch of ignoramus, backstabbing witches that you say, wouldn't you WANT to meet new people? Then I got to thinking...without the drama, what would she do with her time? So, are some people just addicted to the drama?
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Yes, there are people who can't live their own lives without histrionics. Which is whi I'll never board again.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Dec. 26, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Ignore her. Ignore her drama. Ignore the barn drama.

    So long as it doesn't impact me, I couldn't care less.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    I do find barn drama highly entertaining, from a popcorn-and-beer vantage point (i.e. not about to affect me directly). Crazy horse people tend to be a whole 'nother level of crazy, and I have just enough cynical reality-show-viewer detachment to watch and enjoy the resulting implosions.

    Now, if the drama affected me or my horse directly more than once or in a dangerous fashion, I'd be long gone... or in a situation like your friend's, where it sounds like she's interacting with the crazies and interacting with others about them behind their backs. But if it's just getting to witness a choice spectacle every now and then, I don't mind so much. (;

    I have ended up friends with a person who turned out to be That Crazy Boarder, and politely distanced myself from her once the other personality appeared, including moving barns. I am always entertained to hear stories about her through the grapevine, but I wouldn't go seeking her and her drama out. But the other two barns I've been at, both for years, had plenty of Crazy Boarders in and out, and I just kept to myself and snickered quietly when they weren't around.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2008
    Posts
    532

    Default

    I work at one Barn and ride at another. Both barns have a lot of people in common. When ever a new person comes in we always say, "We love it here, there are so many great people, blah blah blah.... and we don't have any drama here! It's really wonderful!"

    And it's true, we all refuse to deal with drama (mostly by ignoring it, or refusing to get all emotional). And so the dramatic person usually just moves along on their on accord. The BO's both do a great job of setting the tone for their barns.

    I hate drama in real life, however I do enjoy a good dramatic thread here in COTH.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    9,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I hate drama in real life, however I do enjoy a good dramatic thread here in COTH.
    Same here
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

    COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    I've often found myself morbidly curious about barn drama. I've been at the same barn ever since I bought my horses, fourteen years and drama-free. The biggest scandal that's ever rocked our barn was when the cat food started disappearing at an alarming rate. We caught the offending raccoons in live traps and relocated them several miles away across the river and order was restored.

    Of course, the barn consists of the BO, her daughter and son-in-law, myself, my mother, my step-dad, and a young woman with chronic pain issues who cannot spend much time with her horse so we take care of him. Other long-term boarders have left for various reasons over the last few years- one man passed away from cancer, one man sold his horse and her longest boarder (23 years), well her old pony finally passed away. BO is hesitant to fill the empty stalls until she finds someone that really jibes with her, us and the barn. I know she's turned down a few potential boarders based on their reputation of being troublemakers at their other barns.

    I think we've got that rare, elusive and mythical combination of like-minded horse people with the same standards of care that never argue. Throw in an awesome farrier, a vet everyone loves, trusts and agrees on and happy, easy to handle, healthy horses and I believe we've got ourselves barnyard utopia.

    Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to see how the other half lives but dang...I just love my barn so much I could never leave! Quiet, boring and idyllic- just my style!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 4, 2000
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I do find barn drama highly entertaining, from a popcorn-and-beer vantage point (i.e. not about to affect me directly). Crazy horse people tend to be a whole 'nother level of crazy, and I have just enough cynical reality-show-viewer detachment to watch and enjoy the resulting implosions.
    Same here. I dropped out of the boarding world more than 20 years ago, but still have lots of friends boarding at different barns. I love lunches and phone calls where I get to catch up on all the latest craziness ... and some of it really is . Way better than any TV show.

    *star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,943

    Default

    I board. I take care of my horses, socialize with non-drama llamas, and go home. Not worth my time. I hid the posts of the boarder who insisted on carrying over the drama onto FB. Now my life is quiet there, too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

    http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    I think some people just cannot live drama free lives. I try not to get involved in drama in general. My sister, OTOH, cannot exist without drama (or at least its drama to me, for her its just her normal existence! LOL). So really, I guess its all about perspective.

    Thankfully, my barn with the exception of a few people, is relatively drama free.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2005
    Location
    The Land of the Frozen
    Posts
    13,787

    Default

    So glad I don't board!!!!

    Recently I went through my FB friends and hid the newsfeeds of all of them who are constantly posting drama, rants, and complaints. Life is too freakin short.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2010
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I do find barn drama highly entertaining, from a popcorn-and-beer vantage point (i.e. not about to affect me directly). Crazy horse people tend to be a whole 'nother level of crazy, and I have just enough cynical reality-show-viewer detachment to watch and enjoy the resulting implosions.

    Now, if the drama affected me or my horse directly more than once or in a dangerous fashion, I'd be long gone...
    Me three. I guess I'm guilty as a "gossip", because I love to hear about the drama when I have some extra time at the barn. But 95% of the time I just show up, chat with some boarders while I'm tacking up, ride, and go home. I simply don't have the energy, nor the time, to get crazy like some.

    I know at least one horse person in particular who is a drama fiend. About every 2 years or so she burns every bridge in a fiery, flame-throwing, nuclear-explosion fashion that involves lots of talking behind backs. It is super fun to watch, especially because she's so transparent, but I'm glad it only happens every 2 years or so because it's also exhausting to watch. Anyway, she managed a few massive implosions before she finally had to leave the state; I think mainly because she burned every bridge possible and had no other options.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Me three. I guess I'm guilty as a "gossip", because I love to hear about the drama when I have some extra time at the barn. But 95% of the time I just show up, chat with some boarders while I'm tacking up, ride, and go home. I simply don't have the energy, nor the time, to get crazy like some.

    I know at least one horse person in particular who is a drama fiend. About every 2 years or so she burns every bridge in a fiery, flame-throwing, nuclear-explosion fashion that involves lots of talking behind backs. It is super fun to watch, especially because she's so transparent, but I'm glad it only happens every 2 years or so because it's also exhausting to watch. Anyway, she managed a few massive implosions before she finally had to leave the state; I think mainly because she burned every bridge possible and had no other options.
    I think she moved here, because that sounds exactly like a couple of people I've known... and keep a healthy distance from! But they sure are entertaining, in retrospect. (;



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 6, 1999
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    It's been forever since I dealt with a drama llama until I boarded at this one place. This new boarder comes in and she creates it like no other. And this barn was just me and BO. That's it and we aren't drama people. And I laid into her so she steered clear of me but that electricity was still there. I would see the barn from the road and see if she was there and dread it if she was. I'd drive in very slowly so maybe our overlap would be minimal. Then another person came in. And unfortunately, she's super nice. This crazy person absolutely stalked her. I have since left that barn and wonder how much more hte BO is going to take.
    But this person came in with both guns blazing trying to stir the pot. And the worst part? Her job is taking care of cancer patients. I just can't imagine this person being able to comfort anyone. I have never had such disdain for a human ever.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2008
    Posts
    257

    Default

    I used to watch barn drama from afar. It was mildly entertaining, until it was turned on me for no reason. I left and am living happily in a drama less barn situation now! It sure makes for a relaxing ride!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2007
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Ignore her. Ignore her drama. Ignore the barn drama.

    So long as it doesn't impact me, I couldn't care less.
    Exactly. When it spills over into your life, affects your horse's care & your barn time, then you either call their bluff or give them enuff rope to hang themselves.

    I've done both.



Similar Threads

  1. Barn drama woes...
    By beckzert in forum Dressage
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Apr. 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
  2. Barn drama spinoff - lesson student drama
    By vacation1 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2010, 02:16 AM
  3. Another barn drama ?
    By JohnDeere in forum Off Course
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2009, 07:37 PM
  4. Barn Drama -- Please Help!/Vent
    By NewAlternative in forum Off Course
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
  5. What would you do - barn drama!
    By joharavhf in forum Off Course
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: Nov. 26, 2008, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness