The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pros and cons of fly masks

Just wondering if theres anyways that a fly mask may become a danger? Obivously a pro is no flies in my ponies' faces

If they get something in the eye (burrdock seed) the fly mask acts as a cheese grater when they scratch the eye in an attempt to remove the irritant.

Saw this first hand. Not a pretty stain of an eye injury. It took up A LOT of stain.

On the other hand, it has been helpful for my horse that has uveitis to be comfortable out when he has flair ups (he hates his stall and will jump out or pace the stall).

oh dear! that's not good! Thanks for your help

I have kept a fly mask on my mare 24/7 since this past March. She had a terrible corneal ulcer that took 2 months to heal. Now I'm so paranoid of her rubbing, etc, I keep the fly mask on her. My vet did say it was probably best to keep it on her.

I hate that she has a rub (that almost looks like bump) on her nose from the fly mask but I figure a rub on her nose is better than another potential problem with her eye(s).

So I can't see a con to a fly mask...

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    I have kept a fly mask on my mare 24/7 since this past March. She had a terrible corneal ulcer that took 2 months to heal. Now I'm so paranoid of her rubbing, etc, I keep the fly mask on her. My vet did say it was probably best to keep it on her.

I hate that she has a rub (that almost looks like bump) on her nose from the fly mask but I figure a rub on her nose is better than another potential problem with her eye(s).

So I can't see a con to a fly mask...
    My mare has Uveitis and has to keep a mask on 24/7.
    http://horseyshades.com/
    They are loose fitting at the nose and might be something that would benefit your mare.

I know what you mean about rubbing. One night it was raining and (stupidly) I took the mask off to give her a break.

She must have rubbed it and within days I had to have the Vet out as she scratched her Cornea.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    My mare has Uveitis and has to keep a mask on 24/7.
    http://horseyshades.com/
    They are loose fitting at the nose and might be something that would benefit your mare.

I know what you mean about rubbing. One night it was raining and (stupidly) I took the mask off to give her a break.

She must have rubbed it and within days I had to have the Vet out as she scratched her Cornea.
    I will check out the link!

Yep, too paranoid to let mine go without her mask! Not worth loosing an eye over it! When mine had the corneal ulcer, she also had conjunctivitis (sp) and the vet figured she started rubbing and caused the ulcer. Treatment was so involved that I had to take her to my trainers barn for 2 months as I couldn't medicate her enough times during the day!

Thanks guys!

Mine is recovering from an eyelid injury and he will never not have a mask on if he is gonna be stabled, and if is in a paddock with trees that sucker's staying on then too! I do NOT want his eye messed up again! I don't really see any cons except that you might have to buy several because they always seem to rip or get stolen by pasturemates or otherwise are destroyed quickly.

Well, they can cause rubs, and if you don't check under them religiously it's easy to miss an injury, and if you don't clean them regularly they could cause an infection, and there is always a possibility the horse will get caught on something and injure itself. But I've been using them for more than 20 years and I've never actually had a problem (beyond the odd lost or destroyed one) and I wouldn't hesitate to use them as long as you are good about taking them off regularly to make sure there's not a problem. My old mare wears one 24/7 April- October.

I have one mare that wears one all day light hours all year. Other than the hassle of trying to keep her in an intact mask (she works hard at destroying them) and the annoyance of fighting with velcro in the winter, I can not think of any cons.

Cons:
    -Houdini-the-Pony can rip any flymask off exactly 13.7 seconds after he is out of your sight. Expensive to keep replacing them. (but as an unexpected Pro, take a walk through your pasture and enjoy "discovering" all those flymasks... it's like an Easter egg hunt!)
    -your non-horsey neighbors may get themselves all worked up and confront you about keeping a "blindfold" on that poor horse all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    Cons:
    -Houdini-the-Pony can rip any flymask off exactly 13.7 seconds after he is out of your sight. Expensive to keep replacing them. (but as an unexpected Pro, take a walk through your pasture and enjoy "discovering" all those flymasks... it's like an Easter egg hunt!)
    -your non-horsey neighbors may get themselves all worked up and confront you about keeping a "blindfold" on that poor horse all the time!!!
    Walking the field is a great way to get extra exercise in!

After a corneal ulcer last spring, my guy is never going outside without his mask on! He just loves to rub his head on stuff and the mask really seems to protect his eyes. The Crusader mask I just bought fits him great and has stayed on, even with all his rubbing. Make sure the mask you use is big enough around the eyes especially...so many of the cheaper ones just aren't. I could definitely see the fabric scratching the eye if it sits too close.

I love the masks but they are not without issues. Rubs on a couple that just could not leave well enough alone. But my biggest complaint is I can not see/read their eyes when they have a mask on. No biggy for the more mature stock. But when I walk up to the barn brats I surely dislike not seeing into their heads and deciding what games are a foot as soon I get close.

I came to the conclusion that the pony who will not keep his mask on and is difficult about getting it put on prefers flies. So I let him choose that.

The other horses like their masks.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket