The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spin off getting paid w/ gift cards, check out the Square!

I was reading the "getting paid with gift cards' threads and I got to thinking about trainers/farriers/vets/BO's and other service people be it the hay guy, or the braider at the local show, whats the best way to pay them?

Of course the common answer, unless you have an account with them and get billed ie farrier/vet/bo it's with cash or a check.

I have a very small business, I made dog treats that I sell at Farmer's Markets, and while most of my sales are cash, I have had to turn away customers because they do not have cash nor do they carry checks.

I got the SquareUp. Its a little device that I stick into my smartphone it opens up the app and I type in the amount I am going to charge on the card and then I slide the customers card through the little square. They then sign their name with their finger on my display screen and I can send them a receipt either text or email.

I get an email 2 seconds later letting me know that I have received a payment of $X amount from the card ending in 1234. There is no charge to me to have the square, but I am charged a small %, 2.7% of the total sale. If I type the card's digits in I am charged 13 cents and the % as well.

But if there are weekends that I don't use it, there are no charges and the best part; the square is free and super easy to set up. I have it linked to my checking account and I get the money in 1-3 business days. You can include tax %, a tip %, and look back at all your sales!!

So all you braiders/bo's/bm's/farriers/pet sitters/freelance grooms ....go and check it out. I really like having the ability to take credit cards. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it takes Visa, MasterCard, AmEx and Discover!

www.squareup.com

I used to at the AQHA Congress and it was great! We charge a credit card fee to cover the percentage that we get charged.

I highly recommend it as there are NO fees when you don't use it. Oh - double check to see if the reader works with your phone type. The phone I had at Congress did not work with the reader, so I had to type in all CC numbers. But worked great with my boss's iPhone.

I bet it even takes gift cards...
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

They were actually using it on December 23rd at Anthropologie to make "more registers" and speed up the check out process. From the customer side, it was super easy to use.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I ended up helping a friend of a friend last minute with her booth at an event a few months ago, and installed this on my iPad. It's super easy to use - with absolutely no training I had it up and running (inluding downloading the app) in <10 minutes.

Several of the vendors at our local farmer's market have started using it, and it's very convenient.

That's a great tip for so many!!! I may tell my Sis's DCP about that. She has complained a few times about the fees she pays (but it's worth it. You wouldn't believe how many people screw over the DCP...anyways), so that may be a nice solution for her!
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

I bought a CD a couple of weeks ago at the local farmers' market. The musician's assistant had one of those ... she said she loves it. It worked really well, and, iirc, she was able to email me a receipt at the same time.