The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another New Use for Poop: Keep Away the Users

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ugs-woods.html

A thick layer of pig dung spread across a forest floor has put a stop to youths using an area of woodland as a drink and drugs den.

The unusual, and innovative, approach was taken in Middlesbrough after elderly residents complained about the behaviour of youths in nearby woods.

After the pig manure was put in place pensioners told the council there was 'a slight whiff' but that they would rather have 'a pong than a bong'.

A spokesman for Middlesbrough Council said the innovative approach was taken after complaints were made.

'An inspection of the area revealed it was being used to drink alcohol and take drugs as paraphernalia known as “bongs” were found,' he added.

'The Neighbourhood Safety Team commissioned the Area Care Service to cut back trees and thinned out the area to make it clearly visible from a footpath.

'The area care staff also provided and spread the pig manure. And since the deterrent was introduced a few weeks ago the woodland, between Stainton and Willowbank, has remained free of youths.

The council spokesman said: 'Feedback from the residents indicated that although there was a slight whiff in Willowbank, they would much rather have a pong than a bong.'

The measure comes at a time when Middlesbrough Council faces cuts of more than £50million from its budget over four years.

They were forced to reduce the number of uniformed council wardens who deal with anti-social behaviour in the area, confiscating alcohol from young people.
    Councillor Jan Brunton, who represents the Coulby Newham ward said:

'At first I was against it because of the smell.

'I would rather have found another way, so we tried to find a manure that did not smell as much due to the people living nearby.

'But I am pleased to say it has worked.

'I don’t know where the youths have gone, but they’re not here.

'It does not smell now but the manure is still here, so it has acted as a deterrent.'

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Cheap, innovative, effective!!!

But no trebuchet. There oughta be a trebuchet.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I totally agree JS. Never enough seige weapons.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

We had a similar problem at a farm I managed several years ago. The teenagers from the neighboring subdivision would sneak over into our woods and have drinking parties and a bonfire. We weren't able to catch them as they'd hightail it out if there if they heard anyone coming. The area was a mess, between all the empty bottles and cans (which we picked up after every weekend party).

Finally, one morning I told my stall cleaner to dump four Gator loads of horse manure over their bonfire circle. That was the end of it.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

Cheap, innovative, effective!!!

But no trebuchet. There oughta be a trebuchet.
    Filled with flaming pig poo!! Genius!

They always have a trebuchet at the Long's Peak Scottish Irish Festival in Estes Park, CO. They launch bowling balls into the lake!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Malls and shopping centers have found an easy way to keep youths from congregating in high-traffic areas. They pipe in classical music.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams