The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Simple yet comprehensive: How "animal rightists" do what they do -WHY you should care

http://www.pet-law.com/articles/42

How They Do it:

How Animal Rightists Pass Laws

1. They invent problems or magnify small ones. The real problems generally are much less than the good that comes from the same activity but we are only told about the problems.
    2. The animal rightists batter public officials to solve the problems they've announced. Although they are a small minority, they never stop complaining
    3. When officials say "Okay, tell us what to do," the ARs are there with examples of laws passed in other places.
    4. Since the new laws never solve the ‘problem,' the ARs seek greater punishments and still more laws to help enforce the old ones
    5. As one law begins to spread, a new ‘problem' is identified and the next step begins – go back to #1, above.

Why You Should Care:

--because sooner or later, their agenda will affect YOU and your pets and livestock.

"The money to support the animal rights agenda comes from millions of Americans who love animals and who, without understanding how their money will actually be used, mail checks to HSUS, PeTA, and other lesser known AR organizations."

"Surprisingly, when the subject is unfamiliar, the bigger the lie, the more likely people are to believe it."

Wayne Pacelle, President of HSUS:
    "One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding."

"The truth is that animal rights is mental illness masquerading as philosophy."

"What's going on is a quiet, mostly non-violent war for the future of America. The major battles are just starting: they will be fought and won by one side or the other over the next five years."
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Wayne Pacelle, President of HSUS:
    "One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding."
    Are you serious?? Did that guy REALLY say THAT? WTH?!

"The truth is that animal rights is mental illness masquerading as philosophy."
    Somehow i don't find it so hard to believe anymore, when people are spewing crap like the extinction of the human race is the way to go...

This is the quote that should make it clearly obvious what nutjobs they are:

'Les U. Knight' (pseudonym), "Voluntary Human Extinction," Wild Earth, Vol. 1, No. 2 "If you haven't given voluntary human extinction much thought before, the idea of a world with no people in it may seem strange. But, if you give it a chance, I think you might agree that the extinction of Homo sapiens would mean survival for millions, if not billions, of Earth-dwelling species ... Phasing out the human race will solve every problem on earth, social and environmental."

And right after I read this, the HSUS commercial with all the sad puppies comes on TV and it makes me SO angry that they're using them as pawns in their game. I bet not a single one of the sad puppies in the commercial was helped at all by HSUS, even after being used by them.

The COTH posters known for being animal rights extremists and defenders of those will now say you are misunderstanding them, they are only looking after the welfare of animals by eliminating all use of animals by humans.

With their illogical demands we ban all uses of animals by humans, one at the time as they are doing, because someone, somewhere may abuse an animal, they don't realize they are carelessly calling for using a nuclear bomb to kill the mosquito bothering them.

Worse yet, they come post their animal extremists agendas on, from all places, a horse forum.
    Last I looked, horses are animals and domesticated ones at that.

As someone stated before, "you can't fix stupid".

Here is a list of quotes from just one source, the HSUS:

http://activistcash.com/organization...-united-states

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    'Les U. Knight' (pseudonym), "Voluntary Human Extinction," Wild Earth, Vol. 1, No. 2 "If you haven't given voluntary human extinction much thought before, the idea of a world with no people in it may seem strange. But, if you give it a chance, I think you might agree that the extinction of Homo sapiens would mean survival for millions, if not billions, of Earth-dwelling species ... Phasing out the human race will solve every problem on earth, social and environmental."
    Didn't Jim Jones try this in the 70's? My stock answer: Lead by example...

On the Rick and Bubba show they are doing a "Best of" week, and reran the time the PETA people had a cage with naked people in it next to the circus, and when Speedy went down, had his own cage and bullhorn, and was protesting PETA. It was hysterical. Speedy had a big Mac, milk and was calling the PETA people out on the fact that they had leather belts, leather shoes, and one had a nice suede/sheerling jacket on. He also was talking to one of the guys, but Steve only used his bullhorn, and the protester was really ticked when Steve said he had rights too. PETA people think they are the only ones with rights.

I bet that nice gate guard here wondered why I was giggling when I showed him my ID this morning. He probably thought I started my liquid lunch early.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

.... soon, they will be back! The RARAs will be in posting in this thread saying we just don't understand them. "Please don't label them" MANURE!

We know who they are, we know their agenda. Soon we'll hear and see all of the repeated propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Are you serious?? Did that guy REALLY say THAT? WTH?!

Somehow i don't find it so hard to believe anymore, when people are spewing crap like the extinction of the human race is the way to go...
    He did but it was taken out of context. He was referring to breeding heirloom breeds of cattle, and not believing that they needed to be protected by an Endangered Species act.
    The full context is here-
    http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2007/0...ate-disto.html

Here is the truth about Richard Berman who started ActivistCash, CCF, and Humanewatch

He keeps 92 cents of every dollar raised in his charities. Known as "Dr Evil" by 60 Minutes. He lobbies AGAINST MADD trying to lower the BAC requirements, and lobbies FOR Cigarette Companies, and Big Ag.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...pposition.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Here is the truth about Richard Berman who started ActivistCash, CCF, and Humanewatch

He keeps 92 cents of every dollar raised in his charities. Known as "Dr Evil" by 60 Minutes. He lobbies AGAINST MADD trying to lower the BAC requirements, and lobbies FOR Cigarette Companies, and Big Ag.

There you go, more animal rights extremist defending by attacking who is pointing to their failings, because they can't deny them.

Berman is doing God's work.

He did but it was taken out of context. He was referring to breeding heirloom breeds of cattle, and not believing that they needed to be protected by an Endangered Species act.

7HL called it, and it didn't take long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There you go, more animal rights extremist defending by attacking who is pointing to their failings, because they can't deny them.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Backpeddling and obfuscation; he's picking gnat crap out of pepper. Pacelle's dangerous lunacy is a matter of public record - and I notice he has posted no PROOF that this was said in conjunction with the ESA -- as if that would make it any better! "They" have "no problem" with "one generation and out" -- doesn't matter to me WHO he is talking about, it's promoting typical RARA fascist control of what OTHER people do with animals.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Berman is doing God's work.
    INDEED.

My opinion, I would not go to an animal rights forum and try to tell them why they should have animals and go enjoy nice carriage rides in NYC.
    That they should be thankful for all that animals give us, from companions, transportation, entertainment and sport, to food and all other products they provide us when dead.

Why do some animal rights extremists and defenders, spouting their agendas, think they can come to an animal user's forum as here and not be called on how little sense animal rights extremism makes to those using animals, here owning and training and enjoying all about horses?

That is an important difference and why some are considered extremists, they have not learned to live and let live.

Wasn't it Ingrid whatsername of PETA that said something to the effect of "a rat is a pig is a boy" in reference to the "value" of animal versus human life?

I seem to recall several years ago an article in COTH documenting that PETA had spent large sums of the money they collected for their "cause" to buy personal belongings and homes for PETA Board members. ANyone recall that article?

I had a horse who was getting down on his knees and slurping rainwater from the puddles in his muddy turnout rather than get his hooves muddy walking to the water trough. Wonder how long he'd survive in the wild, poor abused, sheltered, pampered creature that he was. (I immediately hung two water buckets in his stall) And having to work 45 mins to an hour a day! Slavery!!!!

Just like you can quote selected phrases from the Bible and make it say absolutely anything you want, so can you do the same thing from any other source.

I have no great love for Mr. Pacelle, but he very well might have been quoted out of context at that particular time.

As for rabid RARAs, I have found them very few and far between on this forum. Now, perhaps someone may find somebody else who disagrees with certain points of view, but in the long run they are miles and miles away from believing in the RARA viewpoint. But it's so much easier to just slap a label on someone and let it go at that.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    I have no great love for Mr. Pacelle, but he very well might have been quoted out of context at that particular time.
    Notice that he provides no proof that he was 'quoted out of context' ....

I have been following the HSUS for decades; this was said in the early 90s, when they hadn't hit their full stride as the behemoth money-making machine they are today; they were much more openly radical, and that statement fits perfectly with where they were then - and where they still are, even if it's not for public consumption. They have smoothed out the edges since, realizing that the public MOR stance is much more lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Backpeddling and obfuscation; he's picking gnat crap out of pepper. Pacelle's dangerous lunacy is a matter of public record - and I notice he has posted no PROOF that this was said in conjunction with the ESA -- as if that would make it any better! "They" have "no problem" with "one generation and out" -- doesn't matter to me WHO he is talking about, it's promoting typical RARA fascist control of what OTHER people do with animals.
    If that was true, they wouldn't be AGAINST BSL, and OK with hunting. You should be going after the tru ARA groups like ALF/PETA. Context SHOULD be important to you since you have groups trying to use disinformation against you. You are doing the same thing you are accusing the anti carriage people of doing. Facts DO matter.

Which of the issues that they are against, are you for? Canned hunts, Cockfighting, Dog Fighting, Horse tripping, Bear Baiting?

And Bluey/Mildot- It makes you look stupid to call someone an ARA when they own 3 dogs, 1 horse, care for 5 barn cats, eat meat, wear leather, and are against BSL, and ok with small abbatoirs in every city for horse slaughter. That's attacking the messenger, just because I disagree with you on commercial slaughter for human consumption.
    You can't dispute anything about Richard Berman in the link that I linked. He makes 92 cents of every dollar donated to his "Faux charities", and is employed by Big Ag, The alchohol industry and tabacco industry.