The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A New French Equestrian Movie - Dressage!

Who is our resident CotH French translator - we need to know what is going on here! The movie is to be released in January 2012.

http://vimeo.com/33661568
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Well.....plugging the blurb about the film into French/English translation..it says this:

Outraged by the sale of the horse of obstacle that it had been promised, gracious, cavalier surdouee, slammed the door in farming which employed him. It restarts at zero by agreeing to return as palefreniere in the haras of dressage which adjoins the farm of his father.

I had already done that. We need a real French translation!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

''Outraged by the sale of the jumping horse she was promised, Gracious, gifted rider, slams the door of the breeding farm that employed her.

Forced to start back at the bottom again, Gracious agrees to return as a groom in the dressage stable adjacent to her father's farm. The owner, Josephine de Silène, operates her business with a firm grip, especially on the internationaly renowned German coach, Franz Mann. This old cynical man, a former champion, is seeked by the rich (female) riders around the world for his knowledge and more.

This microcosm won't wait for Gracious who's only rich of her talent, her strong character but especially from her rage to get there.
    Energized with 100 000 volts, she is ready to confront Franz Mann himself and all the obstacles on her way - to become outlaw, she pursues her single obsession; to own her horse and to make it to the top...''
    Last edited by alibi_18; Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I'm by no means a translator! Just French! LoL

Stop the madness of the Google translator! Can we get someone here who knows French?

LMAO

Surely out of all the dressage riders we have her, there must be one who has read the "French School" books in their original French!

I think alibi's translation was not the result of Google- She (he) might have just translated it a little literally. I take Chinese, so I have experience with de-literaling these sorts of translations. Let's see if this make sense:

"Outraged by the sale of of the jumping horse she was promised (to compete, to train, etc.), Gracious, a gifted rider, chooses to leave the breeding farm she was employed at, slamming the door behind her.

Forced to start back at the bottom, Gracious agrees to work as a groom at the dressage farm situated near her father's farm. The owner of the dressage farm, Josephine de Silene, operates her business with a firm grip, keeping her eye on everything within her dominion, including internationally renowned German dressage trainer Franz Mann. Mann, turned into a crass, cynical man over the years, is sought out for both his knowledge and (possible innuendo about how he has sex with his clients) by many rich female from all over the world.

The small world of dressage Gracious (rich only in talent and strong will) now finds herself in won't wait for a beginner, but the headstrong girl is determined. Energized by her seeming failure, Gracious confronts Mann and the other obstacles placed before her, not stopping until she obtains her ultimate goal: To own her own horse and make it to the top of the sport..."
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

From the dialogs, it sounds as if she requested a clause in her contract to be allowed to ride a horse as well. Normal criticism from a coach re her riding. When the barn goes to a show, she asks who will ride the other horses during the coach and owner's absence. She is told that nobody rides while they are away. Of course, she rides. Another groom threatens to tell and she says she does not want to stay a slave. It seems she takes the horse away as well. Tells the coach she wants to compete with him and is told she does not have what it takes and that they are going to come and get the horse. Her little adventure will be over. The owner threatens to call the cops on her for horse theft. She is seen riding with the coach and he tells her to get off the horse... she says no. The owner asks what is going on...

I understand everything that is being said, but it does not give the whole scenario of course. Josiane Balasko (the owner) is a wonderful actress whom I have enjoyed in many other movies. I am going to France in the Spring... I hope I can find that movie to watch!!

At last! A dressage soap. Poor, ambitious, talented girl looses the ride on a jumper so she decides to start all over as a groom at a rich, snotty, dressage stable with a German trainer. So strong is her desire to reach the top, she is willing to break the law (steal horse?). Oh la la, quel drame!

Thank you for the translations catosis and FalseImpression!

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    At last! A dressage soap. Poor, ambitious, talented girl looses the ride on a jumper so she decides to start all over as a groom at a rich, snotty, dressage stable with a German trainer. So strong is her desire to reach the top, she is willing to break the law (steal horse?). Oh la la, quel drame!
    Stolen straight from the CotH forums!

1 members found this post helpful.

why or why dont movies use people who can actually RIDE?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    why or why dont movies use people who can actually RIDE?
    Because the actress/dressage rider extraordinaire is not easy to come by. Both professions/hobbies require lots and lots of time. I, of course, am the exception! Ok, just kidding. My sad 2nd level self (on a good day) participates in community theatre when I can.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

1 members found this post helpful.

I forgot to say that this is serious dressage you know... on GERMAN horses!!!

Did anyone actually watch this movie? It's on Comcast "On Demand" now (free), and a friend told me she really liked it - very French, blunt, a bit dark.

What is the actual title, Discobold?
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Oops, sorry. It's Sport de filles. Though my friend is fluent in French, she said the "On Demand" version has English subtitles. I'll report back after I watch it.

Thanks!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Well, I adored Bruno Ganz in "Wings of Desire" (hence, my signature, although he didn't say that, the trapeze artist did), although he's got a few more years on him now.

And I need to know what happened to her to to have her wearing a green pirate bandana eye patch.

And why she and the horse are in the dark by the trailer by the side of the road - that brings back some bad memories!
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire