The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Andis Clipper Help

I have a pair of Oster Stewart Clippers circa the 1990's that I just got reconditioned and the blades replaced.

But my horse is young and is having a hard time with the noise and my old arm is really having trouble with the weight. I've been slowly working my way through a trace clip, but I had hoped to have him into a hunter clip by now at least!

But after about 20 minutes my arm starts to ache and he starts to get antsy. I don't want it to be a negative experience for him so I pack it in before he gets frustrated.

So I'm looking at Andis clippers to finish the job. A professional clipper on here recommended these: The Andis ACG Ultra Edge 2 Speed. But it seems like the Andis ACG Professional Edge 2 Speed that Smartpack sells is more common amongst horsey folks.

What's the difference? They're almost the same price with the Professional ones being about $20 more.

I had the Ultra Edge ones on my wish list and I think I got them, so I'm hoping they'll work. But I can return them and get the professional ones instead if they're really better.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

Bump?
    ==================

No help on those models, but I have the Andis cordless and love them.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

I have the smartpak ones and love mine. I've used them 3 times already and it has gone quite well.

I've got one model of Andis (can't remember which one though) and I LOVE them. Not entirely sure my model is for body clipping, but they certainly can body clip better than some of the big clippers I've used! Love, love, love them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I have the clippers that you posted the link to from SmartPak. I can body clip with them (did 2 horses last year and the same two horses this year) Of course, I had extra blades to swap out, but I did a pretty good job with them, and they didn't take that long.

I have the AGC model you posted from SmartPak and they're fabulous! I body clip with them every year, do clean-up trimming, and clip my dog with them as well. They're light, quiet, and have a nice length of cord. Incredible value for the price, IMO.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Thanks guys. I realized that the model number listed on Amazon doesn't correspond to the box shown. Andis has several different ACG models for large animals and I'm just not sure what the difference is!

We'll see what shows up when I see my in laws next week .
    ==================

FWIW, I have Andis Ultra Edge two speed ones I use at work - I'm a professional groomer. I run them all...day...long. If I were body clipping a horse with them, I'd get a couple of the wide T-84 blades and switch back and forth so I didn't have to waste time with coolant every few minutes.

I really like the clippers. Every single groomer in my salon uses them and they're awesome and quite durable. I've got one I use in the salon and I bought a second one to use on my horses and my poodle when I need/want to groom him at home. They're relatively light weight and are a comfortable shape to use for longer periods of time. The motor is plenty strong enough to handle animal hair and being run for longer periods of time.

Thanks Candysgirl! I actually just called Andis and asked them what the difference was between the Ultra Edge and the Professionals and he said in an amused bored voice "The color."

Too funny.
    ==================

After much mulling I finally got my clippers and they were these:

http://www.andis.com/small-animal/pr...ipper-+Blue%27

Even though the photo of the product on Amazon was this one:

http://www.andis.com/large-animal/pr...cking+Blade%27

I think the clipper is the same, but the blade mine came with is too close for a body clip.

So, I decided to return them via Amazon and get the ones through Smartpack with the t-84 blade. They came with a free ear and whisker trimmer too. It was exactly the same price to get the Smartpack ones as to keep the ones I got as a gift and buy a new blade for them. And now I got them through Smartpack, so if I have trouble with them down the road, I know I'm covered.

So, I'll clip again on Friday and let you guys know how it went.
    ==================