The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a very nice Friesian Cross stallion. He is currently training in dressage and shows great potentail for the higher levels. Like every one says it depends on the cross. Every horse has its on confirmation. Not all warmbloods and not all crosses can jump or do dressage. My mare I chose was similar in structure to a Friesian.

Check my horse and his parents out at
    www.passingfancyhorses.com

And the horses at Mystic Farm are very exceptional and nice crosses.
    Also check out Grand Design and his website for some more Friesian crosses that excel.

Look up Rembrant, Friesan stallion in the PNW - he does dressage.

What they may lack in some areas they make up for in WOW factor.

My stallion (Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse) just kicked off 2012 in Florida last weekend with two wins in the Prix St Georges, with scores of 73.8% and a 70.2%, and he was also the FEI High Score Champion of the show. I just can't say enough good things about Friesian crosses when they are crossed responsibly, ie Friesian Sporthorses.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    My stallion (Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse) just kicked off 2012 in Florida last weekend with two wins in the Prix St Georges, with scores of 73.8% and a 70.2%, and he was also the FEI High Score Champion of the show. I just can't say enough good things about Friesian crosses when they are crossed responsibly, ie Friesian Sporthorses.
    RiverOak -

Just wanted to say I happened across a video of Lexington on YouTube last week - what an amazing horse he is!

Not only beautiful, but obviously has a lot of quality and talent. He definitely finds the 1's easy enough (changes seem to be an issue for Friesians & crosses)

Congrats on the great scores & good job with his training!

Just wanted to say I happened across a video of Lexington on YouTube last week - what an amazing horse he is!
    I love him! Do you have a link?

As some others alluded to, the success of a Friesian cross depends on WHAT the Friesian is crossed with, as well as how nice (and how suited to sport) the Friesian was. Not all Friesians are equally suited for sport, and they are unfortunately frequently crossed with breeds which are not suitable at all for sport. ("Sport" being defined as the traditional Olympic disciplines.)
    Friesian Sporthorses are primarily Friesians crossed with Warmbloods or Thoroughbreds, as those crosses have proven to be the most successful for sport. When you find Friesian crosses competing successfully in dressage you'll find that nearly all of them are crossed with either Warmblood and/or Thoroughbred.
    Using plain logic, in order to improve the Friesian for sport, they should be crossed with the most successful sport horses! The most successful sport horses are the Warmbloods whose bloodlines are from the European Sport Horse registries. The best of the Dutch Warmblood, Hanoverian, Oldenburg, Holstein, Trakehner and Thoroughbred bloodlines. And with successful Friesian Sporthorses being my own goal and passion () I am utilizing this philosophy.
    I agree and can't say it better myself. It's all about the cross. Why reinvent the wheel, wbld and TB are the gold standard, it only makes sense why they are the gold standard for crosses too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Look up Rembrant, Friesan stallion in the PNW - he does dressage.

What they may lack in some areas they make up for in WOW factor.
    I love Rembrandt! Wonderful horse! Great temperament.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

RiverOak - Lexington is just stunning, as are his babies. It looks like he is 1/2 TB and that for the babies you are using mostly a Dutch mare?

Have ridden a few lovely Friesian crosses (xWB, xTB, xCob in varying sizes). Have found them to be highly sensitive and sometimes nervous but very very honest.

Definitely agree that they need to have lots of stretching work in order to learn how to lift their backs and swing along - ALL the Friesian variations I have ridden tended to try and jam themselves up in a false, carriage horse style frame with a hollow back. Generally I wouldn't even bother cantering under saddle until they can do that in trot because they looooove to fake it! Once you get that connection though, they feel amazing. Have found lots of laterals within the stretchy trot work to help. Many probably would struggle a bit with the collection required for higher levels, but we have a lovely Grand Prix stallion (purebred) in Aus who is showing them how it's done!

I'd love to have one in my stable permanently, would much prefer that kind of sensitive but honest temperament to many of the WBs I've ridden.

Thanks for saying such nice things about Lexington -- I think he's pretty special too

Here is a video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJOpD...1&feature=plcp He is already schooling the 1's and passage. (He is 8 years old.) I'm pretty lucky......

Disco - yes, I've had really good luck with Lexington and my Dutch mare -- the Friesian/TB/Dutch combination has worked really well. Together they've produced two consecutive National Champion foals (2010 & 2011) and a USDF/DSHB Regional Champion (2011). She's the only mare I have in foal for 2012 -- I guess I'm the epitomy of a small breeder *grin*. I sold my other broodmare last year so I could keep her 2011 filly as a future broodmare instead. I've also had success using Friesian Sporthorse mares. And I have a German Warmblood mare who will be old enough to be bred for the first time this year. I try to keep things small, and I don't have many mares, but I really like the ones I do have and I'm very, very proud of the foals I've produced so far

Brindisi, you are in Australia? You should check out Kendhall Park Friesians -- they are breeding some nice Friesian Sporthorses in addition to their purebreds
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

I have one!!

He is a hot, nervous, flighty guy though

He is an ArabXFriesian, 14 years old, who I have been riding for 4 years. As a 10 year old he was green broke because his old owner just couldn't handle him.

He is now hopfully finishing 3rd level (just need those darn changes!!) and already is showing a natural ability to piaffe and passage

Very, very trying horse, but really needs his confidence built up. Here is a video of him at his 2nd ever horse show.....so things were interesting. His fancy though

His dam (arab) was a butt ugly nobody, sire (friesian) reached GP but never truly got anywhere in the show ring

http://youtu.be/IGy5rI9YrkY

And a few pics:
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1404147_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1708365_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mary beth View Post
    Please give me the goods, the bad, and the any..!!.would like to know their strengths, and weaknesses. Can they jump? How do they fair in dressage? What is their stamina like? I hear they tend to have great temperaments..? good feet? what about conformation..does the cross help make them versatile? I know the cross is imp..but any info is helpful.

THANKS in advance!!

MB

On my search for a half-lease I rode two Friesian crosses (both mares) and I can confirm what has been stated: They tend to be heavy on the forehand and often have a strong neck. Disposition complacent to sunny, though. Both were very nice and sweet mares, and good looking, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMissV View Post
    On my search for a half-lease I rode two Friesian crosses (both mares) and I can confirm what has been stated: They tend to be heavy on the forehand and often have a strong neck. Disposition complacent to sunny, though. Both were very nice and sweet mares, and good looking, too.
    I'm curious, what were they crossed with? Most of my babies have been pretty light and uphill. About 1/4 of the horses I sell go AFTER they have about 6 months under saddle (they are generally schooling First level at that point), and all of them have been quite light and soft in the bridle. I wonder if it has something to do with the training - because of their gentle disposition, maybe started by someone who rode with too much hand, so they learned to lean? That can happen with almost any horse.

Of course, if crossed to a downhill, heavy horse, you may get something heavy on the forehand. Again, all comes down to evaluating the individual horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Martina View Post
    I have a very nice one, 1/2 Friesian, 1/2 TB. He is very elegant and uphill. Sweetheart of a horse with a great work ethic and stamina. High energy guy, and really tries.
    He sounds lovely.

Im thinking about doing the German dressage challenge video test with the full Friesian I am riding

SHOULD be interesting... But Ill be representing! lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Cool. Good luck!