The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Yes, you're doing it wrong Bicoastal, lol. Start out with a tablespoon in a cup of water. I microwave or boil just so that it completely dissolves, it works best this way. Wet hair, get baking soda water all over scalp, scrub a bit, rinse out. Pour/spray vinegar solution all over, let sit a minute, rinse out. Ta da.
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Yes, you're doing it wrong Bicoastal, lol.
    Thank you! I am encouraged to try again.

What is all the talk about keeping the bottle in the shower? Then it is room temperature, not warm

I'm interested in trying this out, but I have some concerns about my hair.

1.) It's colored every 5-6 weeks with professional products at the salon.
    2.) It's thinning badly at the front and on the crown, and I use Rogaine daily (not from coloring, but from PCOS).
    3.) It's an oily mess if I skip a day of shampooing.

Right now I used a shampoo and conditioner from Soma that is nasty-things free, pH balanced for hair, and 100% vegan and biodegradable. But I cannot control my hair; to me it only looks good when my stylist does it.

I wonder what this method would do if I started using it, but then go to the salon and get my hair done. I may be cutting my salon trips down due to job loss, and it would be really nice if I could do something cheap for my hair in between longer trips.

Any thoughts?

You can if you want, especially if you've microwaved/boiled as it won't separate then. It feels cold on your head though, ugh.
    Quarry Rat

The baking soda and vinegar can strip your color. Not an OMG overnight thing, but with repeated use, yeah. If you want to get away from coloring by all means try it.
    Quarry Rat

OK...bought baking soda, vinegar and vodka today. Hubby looked at me funny when I told him why. If this doesn't work, I will NEVER hear the end of it, so cross your fingers, lol.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    But you don't use any styling stuff once you get out of the shower?
    Sorry--been working. Nope. Nothing. I don't even brush my hair. I just finger comb it, put some water through it, and maybe spray a little vodka and water. I have no "hair products."

You guys make me so happy! Two more pages despite repeated attempts byt the right wing nuts to bring up "controversial topics" and keep them on page one! Baking soda and vinegar rules! Do I know how to start a thread, or what?

Mosey--BFF!

Bicoastal. I don't know what you're doing wrong. I never microwave my baking soda. It's just cold mixed in the bottle in the bath and I dump it on my head. It sounds like you're doing it right to me. You might just want to play around with the way you do things and amounts until it works for you. I originally washed with baking soda and vinegar at the same time. It was pretty good, but Mail said I wasn't supposed to do that, so now I do them separately. I used to mix the vinegar with water, now I do is straight on.

I would say those with oily hair, maybe the vodka is not such a good thing. But, it DOES make a great story.

New tidbit. I always do this in a bath (I like LAYING and bathing.) When you have red wine vinegar, THAT's why the water gets all dark. I just thought I was REALLy dirty one day!

Does yours fully mix and get clear without heating it BTDT? I have better results heating than not. Hmmm... Might be the hard water too.

Do we get one of those BFF necklaces then?
    Quarry Rat

I do not know. I put baking soda in with a bunch of water and get about five uses. I shake a lot and dump on my head. It seems to work fine. But, yeah, maybe it is the water. We have great water here and don't have the issues some people have. We don't get those brown stains on everything.

Maybe the kind of water people have is an issue? Hmmm. NEW tangle to the mystery!

A BFF necklace, like you have half a vodka bottle and I have the other half? Or we could get rubber shocking pink BFF bracelets!

Water quality/minerals do make a lot of difference. We have a good softener but our water still isn't as good as city water. But if I shower at my friend's house with *really* hard water, hoo boy the hair is awful!!! On a related note, you know what the main ingredient in those 'well water treatments' beauty stores sells is? Citric acid. What's vinegar? Acid. I think that's why this method works so well, the baking soda gets hair *really* clean, and the vinegar strips the mineral buildup away and closes the cuticle back up. I'm sold on the principle, now I just have to keep tweaking to suit my situation. I still don't know what your vodka actually does though!

I'm liking the vodka bottle necklaces!

ETA: Upon some further research, apparently vodka lowers the ph of hair, and that's why it adds shine. I know over on the longhaircare forums people have preferences for vinegar vs. citric acid, so maybe it's just a matter of which acid your hair prefers?
    Last edited by Mosey_2003; Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Up too late still working and decided to do due diligence
    Quarry Rat

Well, this might help with why it's working for some people differently. I don't even know what water treatments are. So hard water adds more stuff to your hair?

Hard water peeps, you need to research and do some testing and report back next OT day what's going on with that. I have nothing useful to contribute.

Yeah, I get LOOKS when I explain the vodka, and then the wondering. Because alcohol is supposed to be bad for your hair--remember the Cher stuff where the big deal was no alcohol? And, why doesn't other types of alcohol work? Well, I don't know if it doesn't 'cuz I haven't tried, but I'm assuming it doesn't?

OK. Who's going to research if OTHER types of alcohol work?

I'm the half bottle of vodka necklace would get on great at the middle school where I work!

OK, my extensive research has come up with this!
    "Because it has a low pH, vodka can help de-frizz your strands, Dr. Graf says. Add one shot to a 12-ounce conditioner (avoid those for color-treated hair). Shake well and apply a few times a month."

And MORE extensive research! "When washing your hair with beer, what you need to do is mix up one part beer and three parts water and pour over your hair for the final rinse and you'll be left with super-shiny hair."
    "

The hard water deposits minerals on your hair. Around here people buy hard water treatments, which you mix up and put on your hair and leave for a half hour or something and then rinse out. It's citric acid crystals, which dissolve and strip the excess minerals from your hair.

I know beer has been recommended as a rinse. I'm willing to bet most non-sugary/sticky alcohols are probably alright for hair. Rubbing alcohol is not because they denature it (add something nasty so you don't drink it), that's why it's harsher.

You don't have to tell the kids it's a vodka bottle, tell em it's sparkling grape juice! lol
    Quarry Rat

Hmm....tried on DD's hair tonight. Baking soda wash, vinegar rinse, alchohol finish. Left her hair very clean and shiny, but super frizzy. She has super, super thick hair (like her braid is as thick as my wrist) down to her lower back with plenty of natural curl.

Will try on my hair tomorrow and see what happens.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Her hair is frizzing because it's jumping with joy it's so happy to be freed from all of the gunk!

Maybe leave a bit of conditioner in the hair. I sometimes do an "incomplete" rinse of the conditioner and vodka, or just put a little back in after rinsing and leave it.

I find with this system, sometimes I take a shower and rinse everything off, but don't do the hair, and it's just as nice as if I washed it. Tonight I was all sweaty from bad horse behavior, but didn't want to wash my hair again, so just jumped in the shower and hosed down with a quick head scrub. My hair feels very soft and clean and not like a straw rat's nest.

1. I've never heated up the water before adding the baking soda... I usually mix up a large batch of it at one time and then use it to refill empty bottles. I just give the bottle a quick shake before I start pouring it on my head.

2. I don't care if the water/soda mixture is clear - why is that important???
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    1. I've never heated up the water before adding the baking soda... I usually mix up a large batch of it at one time and then use it to refill empty bottles. I just give the bottle a quick shake before I start pouring it on my head.

2. I don't care if the water/soda mixture is clear - why is that important???

3. we have HARD water (hubby refuses to buy a softener)...no issues with my hair & this "washing system" whatsoever. I know I use vinegar to soak & clean all the water tubs & buckets, so I'm sure the vinegar is immediately helping to remove any hard water deposits on my hair.
    Cindy

I just remember reading somewhere initially that it works a little better if it's fully dissolved/clear is all. You're certainly free to do it whichever way works for you.
    Quarry Rat

Bumping!
    Quarry Rat

Question Not great results

I've been waiting weeks and weeks for an OT Day. I have tried this again and again and am ready to give up.

I have fine, curly hair and lots of it. It looks fantastic wet; frightening and not fit for public air dried without product; air dried with upteen million experimental products I get lots of frizzy pieces, some straight strings, some kinky strings, a couple curly. Posters have sold this baking soda thing as the solution for frizzy hair

What I do:
    Baking soda in a glass of water. Microwave then stir til dissolved. Pour into dye applicator bottle and wait for it to cool down enough to be not scorch scalp.

Stick the applicator tip right against scalp, pray it's not piping hot anymore, then squirt liberally. Brace for hot water burning scalp and back. Scrub scrub scrub. Doesn't feel like anything is there. Just water. So pour the whole bottle. Scrub and scratch some more. Rinse rinse rinse.

Squirt conditioner -now some shampoo and a lot of a cherry vodka- into palm them onto hair.

Results:
    Frizzy, tangley, did I mention frizzy? Quickly becomes oily.

Waawaaawaaah it's not working. Stomps feet to fetch the regular shampoo...

Experts, what am I doing wrong? Pass me another glass of "whine."