The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Yeah, I had some issues like that with the cowashing, too. I had to wash my hair more. I bet the BS will help!

Yes, pony baloney! Mine got really horribly tangled cowashing. Baking soda is MUCH better, gets extremely clean but not as icky and snarly. The vinegar makes it feel really soft and detangled when wet, but dry is still a poofball, which is what I'm working on refining now.
    Quarry Rat

Mosey--Wanna share hair pictures? I had my hair braided once, like full head braids. Then I broke my wrist and couldn't even put it in a ponytail. The braids drove me nuts--they hurt and itched. I got two people to help take them out in about three hours. Then I brushed my hair, which was a but longer than shoulder length. That was one BIG poofball!

Haha, ok! Give me a couple days to find a good one and I'll pm you
    Quarry Rat

We'll work on that. And I want to keep THIS thread on top ending OT day so it's not a Shermy one!

Baking soda, vinegar, and vodka rules!

What is cowashing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    What is cowashing?
    Using a light conditioner to wash your hair instead of shampoo. The thought is that there is still a small amount of cleansing substance even in conditioner, so it's less harsh than full-on shampoo. Also, most people usually look for a conditioner without silicones (most notably dimethicone) as they coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in and doing it's job. Most of the VO5 conditioners are recommended as well as the cheapy Suave ones, especially the coconut (I use this, but I add it to my baking soda/water mixture). Some people have great success with this method, some (like me and pony baloney) do not. If you really want to submerge yourself in all the woo-woo alternative hair care you can visit http://forums.longhaircommunity.com
    Quarry Rat

Mosey, you are now my BFF for bumping this up all of the time!

I did the cowashing without knowing what it was on the suggestion of someone here. (I don't remember the name, but I do remember she had waist long, thick hair.) It does work pretty well. It's amazing you don't need shampoo.

Awww, yay! Hahaha. I'm a little hair-obsessed - I *will* find something that makes my hair look like normal human hair without using a flat iron!!!
    Quarry Rat

Ha! I refuse to do anything to my hair that takes more than 30 seconds. All that curly hair flying all over the place and not perfectly coifed is who I am. It's just not worth it to spend so much effort on something so insignificant. There are more important things to focus on.

Have you tried pony tails?

I live in pony tails and ball caps, especially since the quarry dust is really harsh on hair. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to style my hair, I want it to be nice all by itself! Don't ask much, do I?
    Quarry Rat

Oh, yeah. Dust is horrible. When I use Quickcrete (I LOVE playing with Quickcrete and making stuff!) that concrete dust gets in my hair and is nasty. Maybe one of those rubber caps?? THAT out to squish that hair down and make it stay that way awhile AND keep the dust out! Pictures when you do so, please!

Oh yeah, I want to wear a rubber swim cap in front of truckers all day long, that'll go over well! lmao
    Quarry Rat

Ok people with curly hair, do you use any kind of product (creme, gel, mousse etc) once you get out of the shower? I tried similar hair regimes (a la Naturally Curly) and it would NOT get product residue out of my hair. I'm currently using Catwalk Curls Rock creme and I get about 75% good hair days air drying (and T-7 days to next haircut) but it's got some silicones in it and can definitely contribute to greasy.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

The vodka! I have quiet curly, dry hair. The baking soda and vodka gets it really clean. I usually rinse out the vodka, but even if I don't, it never gets any kind of product feel. It feels great.

But you don't use any styling stuff once you get out of the shower?
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

The baking soda will take any product out. Before I went hippy granola woowoo with the hair I really like Tresemme's curl spray and the baking soda took that out easily.
    Quarry Rat

My sister used conditioner instead of shampoo once, by mistake, then yelled at me that my shampoo sucked, lol! Her hair (long, thick, wavy) was soft and manageable but didn't looked washed.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Default I tried it. Not so great...what am I doing wrong

What am I doing wrong? I really want this to work because I have hair like many are describing: curly, frizzy, fine but lots of it, tangles and even gets a dreadlock quick. Looks amazing right out of the shower. Straightens ok if low humidity...I'd rather embrace my curls.

Exactly how much baking soda, vinegar, and vodka? Just two days ago I poured a bunch of vodka into my conditioner bottle so I hope a 1:1 ratio is ok! Is microwaving the key? I missed that step in previous OT days.

I tried this a few times over about a week and a half during last OT Day.

Cup with a few shakes of baking soda and some water. Dump on wet head and scrub. Weird, smeary. There wasn't enough product to scrub all around my scalp.

Next time, add vinegar. Weee volcano in the shower. That would feel great on my scalp! Quickly dump it on my scalp and scrub. Still smeary, crumbly, did not get all around my head.

Nothing miraculous happened.

Next time, baking soda first. Rinse. Vinegar. Rinse. Next time, vodka + conditioner. Again no change noted.

What am I doing wrong?

I'll let someone else answer your question that hasn't a problem typing..lol. brain damaged.. will send you screaming pulling hair out and we dont want that.

I had to share I have been doing this since before my broken ankel and stroke . Sometimes with DH's help ( which he appiceraited a lot ). And When I was in the nursing home we had a convert. I told a nurses aid about it and she was interested becasue I could talk very well I "told" her about this board and abot this thread. She went home read this thead tried it that evening came in next day and told me "she loved it was going to do this for now on" that was a little over two months ago. I just got a note from her and she say she is still doing it.

Fr me I found that my hair I use a pop bottle(20oz coke) as we have them normally for dog toys so I have to act quick. Fill the soda tothe top of the rounds at the bottom part of the bottle then fill with warm water yes warm is imprtant forgot this once it is amazing how cold room temp water is on the head... I think i must have jumped I dont know how high but dh had to remove me fron the celing...
    I use the whole 20oz beciuse I have thice midback hair. so I do my hair in two parts. first my scalp then my hair. I probably could use less but I am leanerning how to use my right hand in fine motor skills again and sometimes the soda mix dosent hit the spot.
    For the vigagar(sp) Iuse a spray bottle because that in the eyes not so good... but it seems to work well it maybe something some of you may consider. I can get it in the deepness (is that a word) of my thicness ofmy hair work it a bit and let it "set" while I wash my body then rish it out.
    then another spay bottle of vodka spray. I rise havent quite decided if I want to keep it in yet or not.

I am not the most relaible when it come the brushing my hair. ad have een know to have more than my share of rat nest in it ( the reason for not brushing seemed i nod head a rats nest apperared) they would take up living in my hair.. They have all but left my head I can not run my finger though my hair. The first time since ... wel forever. I think I was born with rats nest they would even hppen with short hair with me.
    Friend of bar .ka