The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Mali explained it Bumknees. You won't get any sort of frothing with the baking soda or vinegar. I mostly focus on a good head scrub, like they do if you go to a salon, and a good head scrub to rinse.

I don't leave in the vodka, though. I comb through conditioner and vodka and then rinse it out. You can leave it in, though. When I was at an all-inclusive vacation on Curacao, they had free alcohol. I just used it for conditioner. The day we left I had been in salt water and rinsed my hair with fresh water, but didn't want to wash it again before getting on a plane, so I just poured a cup of vodka and water through it, and it was great. You just figure out what works for you.

For a long time I was putting the hair shine stuff on my hair so it didn't try and tangled (it's curly and I'm outside a lot riding, so it really gets dry.) Now with this routine it keeps that softness until I wash it again. I can pretty much always finger brush it. I never brush my hair with an actual brush.

Getsalt. I will color my hair maybe once every six months to get it back to normal color from sunbleached. I don't notice any difference in color, though mine is dark brown.

mmm the measurments on the soda/h2o are eyeballed right ? Ie if I have a huge shampoo bottle ( I normally buy dollar store specials you know 33% more free types) so lets say 1/3 soda to 2/3 water type thing?

My hair is not necessarly picky I am Ive been known to screw things up by guessing from what Ive read and get messes. and Id pefer not to have any more messes on my head lol. Though my hair can rebel in its own way if I do things just enough not right.

I will have to get a sprtzing bottle for the vodka that is after I get past the googlie eyes from dh for buying the vodka... I have had rats nests in my hair all of my life. It will be nice not to have them any more.
    Friend of bar .ka

I am NOT let this thread die--gonna keep it on top.

bumknees-Yes--eyeball away. Maybe 1/4 vinegar and baking soda to water. You can't really go wrong.

If you have rat's nest hair (raises hand) I think the vodka helps a lot. Give us a report next OT day!

Did I miss the formulas / measurements? How much water:soda?

Cliffs notes would be great!
    Thanks!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Also - nobody rinses the vodka out right?
    Does anyone end up smelling like an alchoholic
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

In general, maybe about 1/4 baking soda and 3/4 water. Same with vinegar. I just use about a tablespoon of each and put in enough water so I can get it all in my hair.

I rinse out the vodka. I use a tablespoon or two. I have not rinsed it out, too, and it seems fine. It doesn't smell like alcohol to me even in the middle of the wash and certainly retain anything. It also cuts the smell of vinegar, which my SO was commenting about.

I had my ds run out and get the soda and vodka yesterday. You should have seen the googlie eyes he gave me when he asked what I wanteed ''this stuff for'' and I said my hair...

I think he thinks I lost my crackers...

Have my soda and h20 bottle old pop bottle.. think I have a spritz sprayer but will have to look... If not I will just gently apply using the hand ot hair method.

Will give an update next OT day.
    I sure hope to get rid of those rats nest.. Glad Im not the only one who has them as Im getting up there in age...
    Friend of bar .ka

And it's baaaaaaaack. OK, there ARE some updates. As you may remember, last OT day I ran OUT of vodka--my $10 gallon type bottle lasted from. Nov to Aprilish.

Well, I figured out what the vodka does. My hair was lovely without it, but got very, very fluffy. I don't need any fluffier hair than I have. So vodka sort of acts as a product to tame the frizzies, so it works great for people who need frizzy help, but maybe not so much with people who don't have dry hair.

Give us your updates!

well ive been doing ok. not as well as id like to be doing buttt ok.

Id like to say first there have been sone thigns that were unexpectated; 1) that the shine and the eaise with which that were done remaracable ease. 2) that while it probably the ease in which it were done would keep me from getting it again.
    Last edited by bumknees; May. 13, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
    Friend of bar .ka

Don't know if I understood that, bumkness, but good excuse to bump this up. Any others experiment and have results? Gotta spread the goodness.

So, I am seriously considering trying this...and I am wondering if by using my vanilla flavored vodka, would my hair smell like vanilla?

And I'm going to just openly admit that I will be taking a few sips of said beverage while showering. Makes more sense that way!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

1 members found this post helpful.

Eye - do what I do, buy the really really cheap crappy vodka and then you won't be tempted to drink it

I've been doing this since October, and I still haven't found any drawbacks! I have started leaving a little "leave in conditioner" in my hair, since the humidity is started to really settle in.
    Cindy

http://onjustacoupleacres.blogspot.c...hair-care.html

This blog seems to have a similar recipe that some of you mention. I have it book marked because one day I'm going to try it. One day.

I tried it this weekend, I'm calling it a mild success. I have thick, coarse, poofy, slightly curly dark blonde hair. It's a frizzy, tangly mess. The bigger problem is my scalp has been very flaky/crusty/itchy - my hairdresser woman claims it's psoriasis, and since I have eczema too I don't doubt it. Usually I wrangle the hair with oil shampoo/conditioner (Dove, Fructis, etc.) and spray Tresemme Curl stuff into it and scrunch and it turns out decent.

I tried the conditioner wash method a year or two ago and found it just made my hair gunky, didn't work at ALL, so was a little hesitant to try this.

Made up baking soda wash and ACV rinse Saturday morning. Boiled two cups of water and added 2 tablespoons of baking soda and stirred it in. Did half a cup vinegar/half a cup of water. Also procured organic coconut oil - this I LOVE for skin/face/hair. It's really wonderful.

First wash was a little meh for me, was surprised that the baking soda got it VERY clean, like squeaky clean. ACV didn't have the wonderful conditioning/detangling effect people online claim, but then again I have a lot of split ends/damage too, so I need to get that cut off. But there were barely any flakes left on my scalp.

Second wash yesterday morning was a little less snarly and NO flakes now, barely any itchiness. Success! I need to experiment a little more, I think I could use a little less baking soda and a little less coconut oil, it's hard to apply the right amount in the right places when your hair is wet (the coconut oil I mean, the baking soda I try to get everywhere).

Overall, I'm impressed so far, and they say to give it three months-ish, so I'll report back next OT day!

ETA: I haven't tried vodka yet, I just have such a hard time purchasing alcohol to use on my body instead of in it I might soon though. And for the record, I used Bragg's ACV
    Last edited by Mosey_2003; May. 29, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff, as usual
    Quarry Rat

Bumping up to see who's still "using" and how it's working out.

I'm still on the fence and need a little more convincing.

FTR - I have A LOT of long, fine hair cut in layers. It will curl if enticed but I usually blow dry it straight. Just curious and want to try this out, but I need more COTH evidence!
    Alis volat propriis.

I'm still totally on board with the baking soda shampoo! Gets it extraordinarily clean. Vinegar rinse sucks for me. Started with it half water/half vinegar, didn't help much at all. Tried all the way up to mostly vinegar. Doesn't have any conditioning effect on my hair like people claim. Maybe my hair is just TOO dry for it? Haven't tried the vodka yet, it just keeps slipping my mind.

Coconut oil is great, but it's hard to find a balance between not enough and too much, still playing.

Currently I'm using an all-natural conditioner with three different oils in it, but would like to get away from any commercial product. But I'm too lazy to make up my own avocado/olive oil/mayonnaise type stuff, so who knows.

Moral of the story: loving the baking soda wash. Just make sure you boil the water and then add the soda, that way it doesn't separate out.

ETA: I did get a haircut right after I posted last OT day. And I've been adding about 10 drops of tea tree oil to the wash solution to curb the flakes/itching and it's not going super. I have a sneaking suspicion the flaking and itching is diet-related so topicals aren't going to fix it anyhow.
    Quarry Rat

Mosey--Yeah! Doesn't the baking soda get it clean? Now I have an old shampoo bottle with baking soda and I wash, scrub the head, rinse, and then vinegar, wash rinse. It is very clean.

You HAVE to try the vodka. I have decided it IS the thing for frizzy hair. I put on conditioner then squirt a couple of tablespoons of vodka on and I can feel the hair separate. If you leave the vodka in longer, it makes it even smoother. I still haven't tried a vodka water spritz after it dries, but I should. I have before. When I was on vacation with an all inclusive that included alcohol I would get vodka for my hair. We went for a swim in the ocean right before we left, so I rinse off with fresh water, got some vodka and pouted it over my hair, and it was good for the trip home. (Normally I wold have had a rat's nest.

Share you baking soda, vinegar and vodka experiences!

Bluemoon--I have a LOT of curly thick, fine hair. This is the way for you. I would never blow dry my hair. My SO's theory is it makes your hair grey, but I just won't spend the time.

hi that post of mine was after i had a stoke. so sorry it was well hard to read. to put it miledly.

i have a question. do you think that it wuld be ok for a dog. the reason im asking is i have a bcx who is just tearing the chit out of his ffur. and he isnt medicated sampoo inst dont any good (cant even begin to ttal to vet and the scritp amout up). and ive noticed that with me the places that normally itich fron scars are not. so figuer cant hurt. wart do you think.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Bluemoon--I have a LOT of curly thick, fine hair. This is the way for you. I would never blow dry my hair. My SO's theory is it makes your hair grey, but I just won't spend the time.
    OK OK.... I'm convinced.

I got all the stuff at lunchtime except the vodka, which I will try to acquire on the way home from work. So, I will see how well it works tomorrow morning. I was going to ask if anyone does this post-workout, as I will be going to the gym in the morning and showering there. I guess it's no different than a bottle of shampoo but somehow I'm still feeling a little weird about it. I'm too mainstream for my own good sometimes!!
    Alis volat propriis.

If you wash your hair at home the night before you could just rinse it with water at the gym; it'll be clean already and all you're doing is rinsing the sweat out like we do to the horses.

I DO need to try the vodka! I was very disappointed the vinegar didn't work a miracle like everybody claimed... Is it just a vodka rinse after you shampoo? Do you use conditioner too? Some people mix it INTO the conditioner? Which way is optimum number one the bestest? Because if I'm going to waste booze in my hair I want to streamline the process for best results

bumknees: I would think baking soda solution at that concentration would be fine to use on your dog. I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke, and please forgive me, but I laughed out loud when I read "tearing the chit out of his fur", around here we all say chit and it made me Hope you're recovering well!

ETA: BTDT - I found a set of ketchup/mustard bottles in the cheapy bin at CVS and the point on them works wonderfully! So keep an eye out
    Last edited by Mosey_2003; Jul. 2, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I'm a ditz
    Quarry Rat