The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default 'cones

I've been reading up on this method. The One cleansing conditioner has silicones in it which will build up over time. You want a silicone free conditioner. Here's a site with a list.

http://healthycurls.net/product-list...free-products/

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Hm. OTV. Did you add conditioner to the vodka? I have to have that. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone. If I just wash it with baking soda and vinegar it's a little strawy, but the conditioner with vodka keeps it smooth.

Bummer. You might want to google more ideas. There were a lot of things to try. And some people were saying it takes awhile for your hair to adjust to not being stripped every time.
    I tried it with a fairly heavy conditioner (since that's all I can use!). I thought it was going to work great because my hair was incredibly tangle-free! Way more than when I use straight conditioner and it felt so incredibly soft when it was wet.

But, then it dried and looked/felt awful. The softness and tangle-freeness of it didn't last past the damp stage.

I started out mixing the baking soda/water in the same container with the vinegar. Then I read somewhere that the ph in the baking soda opens the hair cuticle and that's what cleans it...and the vinegar ph closes the cuticle and that's what helps seal it and keep it smooth. The light bulb came on at that point. I now have the baking soda/water mixture in one squirt bottle and the vinegar in another squirt bottle. I noticed a difference immediately upon making the change. I massage the baking soda mixture into my scalp thoroughly, rinse well, then squirt the vinegar on my hair - thoroughly saturating it. Then I rinse the vinegar off. Next I pick up my spray bottle of straight vodka and spritz my hair liberally. That's my entire routine. I don't put anything else on my hair, and I always air dry. On in-between days, I just spray liberally with a mixture of water/jojoba oil/lavendar oil. I'll never go back to shampoo EVER!
    Cindy

Mali! You're ahead of me. I haven't been doing my reading. I was just lazy. I'm going to try that. I think I need to use conditioner with my vodka, though, because my hair is pretty dry. I'll mix up my routine your way tonight and see what happens.

(And thank you for giving me an in to keeping this topic in the spotlight!

I use just baking soda to wash my hair (can't stand smell of the vinegar). Hair is very shiny, healthy and clean.

When the air got dry, I started adding a leave-in conditioner to minimize frizz, sans vodka, and it works great. I may try the vodka to see if it makes a difference, although it seems wrong to use vodka for external purposes.

I have fine, wavy hair - it now has lots of shine and bounce without frizz and I get tons of compliments on it. Looks very full - no one realizes how fine it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

OK, you know I'm not letting this go. I started this in the fall, and I think I have one more wash with the bottle of vodka (maybe a 1/2 gallon) I bought then for $10.

I have modified my wash routine a bit. I now do Mali's thing of washing with baking soda first, rinse, then vinegar and rinse.

For my conditioner I've been trying it a new way. I put in the conditioner first, then the vodka. I don't know what it is, but when the vodka is poured on, I can feel the hair instantly soften and untangle. Maybe the vodka works better for curly hair.

I'm still really liking it. My hair feels way cleaner and softer with this routine, and it's way cheaper. I go through a small box of baking soda in a month or so, maybe $1 for that. Vinegar probably takes a couple of months to go through the $1 bottle. And my $10 half gallon of vodka has been going since Sept.!

Question

What kind of vinegar? White, apple cider? Or does it make any difference?
    "Socrates was a very wise man who went around giving good advice. They poisoned him." Anonymous...

I don't think it matters. I used white because that was what I had. I'm on apple cider now. I don't see an difference. I have brown hair. Maybe it makes a difference with hair color?

Just had to chime in...

I have been doing baking soda/vinegar since January and love it. Haven't tried the vodka-usually I just spritz on a leave-in conditioner while my hair is damp and comb it through.

Here's what I've noticed:

1) My long, thick hair air-dries MUCH more quickly. I used to have to blow-dry my hair or it would take hours. Now I don't need to unless I'm in a major time crunch.

2) my hair is long (longest layer hits 2-3 inches below my bra strap) and it rarely tangles anymore. I can go for days with just finger-combing.

3) I've noticed a LOT less hair going down the shower drain. Not sure if its from less breakage (perhaps from less brushing?) or from less shedding, but I used to clean wads of hair from my shower every day, now I can find 1 or 2 hairs if I look.

4) i rarely need product anymore. If I style my hair, it just STAYS. If I curl it, it holds curl until I wash it again. I use half the bobby pins I used to for up-do's. It just behaves. I don't think I've had a bad hair day since January...

5) I can wash it less frequently. I currently wash it about 3 days a week. 2 days a week is stretching it. It doesn't get nearly as oily anymore.

Then of course there's what everyone else has mentioned: softer, lighter, etc.

FWIW I have long, very dark, thick hair. The hairs themselves aren't thick, I just have a lot of them. I guess I have very dense, fine hair. I always thought my hair was mostly straight with a little wave to it, now I know it is VERY wavy without all of the product buildup. While I love being shampoo-less, I can see how it might not work on certain hair types.

ohara--Yeah, I have hair like yours, but shorter. I never brush my hair, and like you, I notice it doesn't tangle nearly as much. I never used product before, so can't tell you a difference, but I think it makes it look like it has product.

Try the vodka. It's like the super conditioner they put in if you use hair color. It's just amazing. I just finished mine tonight, so I'll have to see what it's like without vodka for the next wash.

Bunch of heathens....

Here was I the last two nights bemoaning the fact that someone, possibly me had drunk all the vodka, just when I needed a large medicinal shot or two, and you guys are bathing in it.

Pass me the stabbing icon someone
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Yeah, well, I don't drink. I need to look cool and buy vodka, so gotta use it for something!

I am SO going to have to try the vodka! You guys are great!

And Haffy, if it makes you feel any better, I will probably drink some each night AND bathe in it. That way I should look great AND feel great!
    Last edited by juby2be; Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling

I've read this thead every Ot day and it seems like every one has their own recipe.
    Now do you mix the soda with water then vinegar or how?
    Then the vodka as the conditioner.
    Ive got just below half way down back long thick curly hair. Think it just quit growing at that leingth.
    And well tired of buying shampoo that the others in my family use up before I get a chance to use much at all. Figure buy them theirs and Ill use what I have in kitchen.
    I have to send ds to store for something in a bit anyway... may as well have him get the necessaries..
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    I've read this thead every Ot day and it seems like every one has their own recipe.
    Now do you mix the soda with water then vinegar or how?
    Then the vodka as the conditioner.
    Ive got just below half way down back long thick curly hair. Think it just quit growing at that leingth.
    And well tired of buying shampoo that the others in my family use up before I get a chance to use much at all. Figure buy them theirs and Ill use what I have in kitchen.
    I have to send ds to store for something in a bit anyway... may as well have him get the necessaries..
    I kept 2 old shampoo bottles and 2 old conditioner bottles. I mix up the soda/h20 mixture in the shampoo bottles and just pour straight vinegar into the conditioner bottles. I keep a spray bottle of vodka in the shower & right before I step out of the shower, I spritz my hair all over (and the shower doors before I squeegee them). I do make sure I shake the shampoo bottles before I use them, since the soda will settle to the bottom.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    I kept 2 old shampoo bottles and 2 old conditioner bottles. I mix up the soda/h20 mixture in the shampoo bottles and just pour straight vinegar into the conditioner bottles. I keep a spray bottle of vodka in the shower & right before I step out of the shower, I spritz my hair all over (and the shower doors before I squeegee them). I do make sure I shake the shampoo bottles before I use them, since the soda will settle to the bottom.
    Sorry for what is probbly silly question...

When you use the shampoo bottle of soda/h2o and vinegar bottles you shake the soda/h2o apply to head then the vinegar and ''wash''? as one wold normally do. After rinsing off soda h2o vinegar , spritz with vodka as stepping out of shower? yes?

Does the vinegar h20 soda get fuzzy on head? I assume so a bit. But is easy to rinse out Or do you keep the vinegar on head and spritz vodka over vinegar?

Im sorry for what ever reason my brain is just not comprehending the steps..
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    Sorry for what is probbly silly question...

When you use the shampoo bottle of soda/h2o and vinegar bottles you shake the soda/h2o apply to head then the vinegar and ''wash''? as one wold normally do. After rinsing off soda h2o vinegar , spritz with vodka as stepping out of shower? yes?

Does the vinegar h20 soda get fuzzy on head? I assume so a bit. But is easy to rinse out Or do you keep the vinegar on head and spritz vodka over vinegar?

Im sorry for what ever reason my brain is just not comprehending the steps..
    Not quite. Here's my routine.
    Step 1 -shake shampoo mixture of baking soda/H20
    Step 2 - apply liberally to scalp and somewhat down the length of my hair (my hair falls to mid back) and massage into scalp with fingertips for a good 45 secs to a minute
    Step 3 - rinse soda/h20 mixure out of hair
    Step 4 - apply vinegar to scalp and through length of hair
    Step 5 - soap up body /rinse
    Step 6 - rinse vinegar from head
    Step 7- squeeze out excess h20 from head
    Step 8 - spritz head/hair with vodka
    DONE!
    Cindy

Thank you very much. Now I understand..

It is so simple I do not understnad why my brain could not catch on.

I will try that tomorrow when I shower
    Friend of bar .ka

Do any of you color your hair?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Gestalt- I do. I get highlights and lowlights. I really haven't found that the baking soda/vinegar has ANY effect on my color whatsoever.

Here's what I would do. Try it for two weeks without the vodka. Just the baking soda and vinegar. See how that goes. Then try the vodka (if you want to.) By the end of 2-3 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of how well it will or won't work for you and your hair.

I found that I needed a good 2 weeks for my hair to REALLY 'adjust' to NOT having the oils stripped from it daily from the detergent in the shampoo. I found that the first week my hair was pretty dry, the first half of the second week it was a little oily, and by the end second week it had completely evened out and was JUST RIGHT! I still will spray some detangler in it occasionally, but that isn't often, and I have pretty thick hair.