The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Okay, I'm going to start this week. I have one more glop of shampoo to use tonight and then.... eek! I hope this works for me.

My hair is fine, fly away with frizz, and I color it. Do I need the vodka? My pln is to water the b s down, scrub scalp with it, rinse and spritz on v and rinse. Should I also put some conditioner on like Mosey?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Yeah, Gestalt! Nice to have you in the club!

I have the same kind of hair, but curly, too. I would play with vodka, but I think it helps with the flyaways a lot and really makes it feel smooth.

I would pour on some vinegar after the baking soda, then scrub and rinse, too. And, yes, I would use conditioner. I do and spritz in some vodka with it.

Well, I decided to try the baking soda and vinegar routine after reading all of the responses. I have a patch on my scalp that gets very itchy (no dandruff, no rash, can't see anything visibly wrong with it) - I figured maybe this would help in case I'm reacting to something in regular shampoo/conditioner.

I lasted 2 weeks. I have fine long hair with a bit of natural wave. I know some people have mentioned that it takes a week or so for your hair to balance out using this method, but after 2 weeks my normally baby-soft hair felt like straw. I also disliked the "scalpy" smell that persisted. I also had no improvement at all in the itchy patch. I finally gave up and started using Aveeno moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and my hair feels and looks so much better. Even the hairdresser commented on how good my hair feels.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Hm. solar. Did you use the vinegar? That would seem to be good for itch. Did you use conditioner with the vodka? You have to unless you have more oily hair, I guess. My hair would be like straw, too, unless I did that.

I am really happy with how soft my hair feels these days after switching to baking soda and vinegar. I don't know when exactly it quit feeling like it used to, but at some point (perhaps to do with middle age) it felt like straw. I tried a variety of shampoos and conditioners from cheap to expensive, but nothing particularly helped.

My hair is thick, fine, and wavy. I have consistently been using baking soda to cleanse and vinegar for a rinse for a couple of months now. I put baking soda and water in a small squirt bottle and squeeze it on, then scrub. The bottle actually has enough space for several days of shampooing. Rinse with water, then squirt on the vinegar and let it set a few minutes. Avoid getting vinegar into your eyes. Rinse out the vinegar. I do add a little bit of a leave in conditioner or Cowboy Magic detangler most of the time before styling my hair, but I think it's from old habit rather than need. I have not tried the Vodka as yet.

I love how good my hair feels these days from this "system." I've even been letting my hair grow longer and it has not gotten unmanageable like it has in the past.

This may not be for everyone, but my suggestion is to give it a try for a week or two and see what you think.

I am going to try this during winter break when I am out of classes.

But I still have reservations.

How much baking soda do I need?

How much water do I mix with the BS?

Do I use apple cider or regular vinegar?

Can I premix my BS/h2o mix and leave it in the shower?

How long will it say good?

I color my hair, will this strip the highlights out?

Should I squeeze some lemon juice into the vinegar? (I am a dirty blond) in case the color gets stripped out?

You can just buy the regular box of baking soda, which should last a LONG time. In general, about a tablespoon to a cup of water, but I just dump a bunch in a shampoo bottle and fill with water to use for weeks.

I use whatever vinegar I find cheapest. The red wine turns the bath water red! I assume if you're blonde, you may not want to use the red wine, or use it and see what color your hair is! I have heard that lemon juice is great to bring out the shine, like vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Hm. solar. Did you use the vinegar? That would seem to be good for itch. Did you use conditioner with the vodka? You have to unless you have more oily hair, I guess. My hair would be like straw, too, unless I did that.
    I used baking soda with warm water, poured on my head and scrubbed the scalp only, then massaged into the rest of my hair. Rinsed well, then poured on diluted cider vinegar and let it sit while I washed my face, etc. Rinsed that out, then sprayed with diluted vinegar in a spray bottle and left on. I didn't use vodka or conditioner - I didn't think my hair was all that dry, but I guess maybe it is more than I realized.

With no improvement in the itchy patch, and the scalpy smell, plus the dry crunchy hair, it just wasn't worth it. One shampoo and conditioning with the Aveeno and it was like my poor hair sighed with relief.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Hm. Bummer, solar. I guess as with everything, it won't work for everybody.

Alright, I got sucked in. My hair is my one vanity and I'm always trying to improve on it.

This is the first time I've tried it and so far...my hair fell out!

Just kidding It actually worked really well, my hair is nice and soft and shiny. Hopefully it stays that way and its not just beginners luck. I did use a bit of conditioner as my hair tends to be dry and I didn't feel like tempting fate that much.

I also have long (past bra strap length) thick wavy-ish hair for what its worth. Its also dyed a deep brown for those wondering about dye complications.
    Slave at the insane aslyum known as Hillyard Farms....

I'm glad it's working, Cody. I always use conditioner. That with vodka spritzed in, comb with my fingers, and then rinse. It should stay that way. And it stays cleaner and feeling that way a lot longer.

Ok ladies. I've tried the 'right' way. I got a couple compliments on my hair when it was curly. I think it appears oily faster than with shampoo.

I had my hair highlighted last week. Is it safe to use baking soda and vinegar?

OK, it's baaaaaaaaack. I think this OT day is good for this.

How's it going, folks? Doing the same thing here and going well.

Bicostal. I think your hair should be fine. I think you can lighten it on your own with lemon juice, too! You can try that and let us know how it works!

OK, I admit, this is a shameless effort to leave it on the first page of OT day just 'cuz.

But, I do have some updates that might be useful.

I buy cheap conditioner, like VO5, for 99 cents. Last time I bought another one and really did notice a difference. It left my hair feeling dry and frizzy again despite the vodka.

So, solarfare, that may explain why your hair was feeling like straw. Maybe it was the conditioner. That was the first time it happened to me since I switched to this system. I went back to the VO5, and my hair is soft and silky again. Something you may want to try!

I'll help Beenthere's mission. I am trying again. I have fallen off the wagon a couple times then get back on. I fall off because mixing the baking soda takes time and pre-shower prep plus I haven't noticed absolutely amazing results.

This time I'll try very very hard to last two weeks. My biggest complaints are 1) lack of instant gratification while showering. No suds! I scrub and dig and scratch in the baking soda mix and nothing seems to be happening and 2) hair appears oily quickly.

I bought a new bottle of conditioner, dumped half of it into the old, empty bottle, then poured vodka into both bottles. So my conditioner is half vodka half conditioner. Bonus it is CHERRY vodka so it smells good!

3 members found this post helpful.

Just thought I'd bump this up as I have been using the baking soda/vinegar method for almost 2 months now! I didn't go into this with high hopes, as I had been struggling with my hair for a while, but I'm actually pretty impressed!

When using regular shampoo/conditioner my hair would start to look greasy after 24 hours, so I washed my hair basically every day (sometimes every other day). I'd get out of the shower and my hair would feel "dry" but it got oily and gross SO quickly. I was also struggling with really knotty hair to the point where I felt like I was ripping out half my hair every time I attempted to brush it.

I have hair that naturally dries in a mixture of loose waves and a few loose ringlet type curls. I'm trying to grow it out and embrace my natural hair but previously I would blow dry/straighten nearly every day, wash with shampoo every day, and highlight regularly. Therefore the lower 1/3-1/2 of my hair is damaged and has some split ends. Around the same time I started the baking soda/vinegar method I stopped blow drying/straightening pretty much all together.

My method for the first month was to dump some baking soda into a large cup and fill with hot water in the shower, dump on my head, and scrub like I had shampoo. Then rinse, pour vinegar on (ACV) and follow the ACV with Suave coconut conditioner applied from the base of my neck down the length of my hair (currently about bra strap length when wet). I would wait a few minutes (while doing other showery stuff haha) and then rinse the ACV/conditioner out of my hair. My hair was SO FREAKING SOFT! The buildup (from god knows what since I don't use styling products) was gone, my hair felt light, silky, and was shiny instead of dull. However I ultimately felt that using baking soda every shower was a little much for my hair. It seemed to get like an "unclean" feel (it's really hard to describe, it didn't feel dry yet I couldn't run my fingers through it in the shower ) so I switched out the baking soda with conditioner.

So for the past 2-3 weeks I've been washing with suave coconut conditioner, rinsing, and then applying ACV and conditioner at the ends of my hair. It works really well to moisturize my hair (which seems to get dry easily) but I have to be careful to rinse the conditioner at my scalp out well or it gets oily. My hair can't make up its mind.

But overall my hair is doing a lot better, feels healthier, and I think is growing faster too. I actually had a problem with a rash on my back and chest, which apparently was from the Organix shampoo I was previously using, but is gone now. I also don't have any itchy scalp problems anymore. So I highly recommend people that aren't happy with their hair give this a try! Bonus! It's cheaper than expensive shampoos/conditioners that supposedly are "good" for your hair.

I glad it is working for so many people. I gave it a try and at first my hair was amazing, but by the end of the second week it felt gummy and looked dry. So I'm back on "regular" stuff. I occasionally wash using the method though and it is good.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Aww. You guys make me happy. And I'm so glad the religion thread got bumped! It was wonderful and everyone was nice, but I kept getting PMs!

There may be some issues with well water, I don't know. I did have some issues with the gummy feeling when I switched to another conditioner. I ALWAYS use cheap stuff, like for $1, but the one I was using was not good. I went back to Suave or VO5, and it's all good again.

I think the build up of shampoo takes at least a few weeks to really get off of your hair.

I think it works best for people with hair like SAcres and mine--curly. I think you also have to find the combination that works best for your hair. I started with the Wen substitute, then washing with conditioner, then this. I think this works best, but washing with conditioner is probably a good thing to break it up with.

Those of you that say your hair felt gummy, try washing with conditioner, then using vinegar as a rinse. It has really worked well for my hair! I only use baking soda every 2 weeks or so. I will add that I have well water, so that might have something to do with it.

I think that's a good idea. I skipped the baking soda tonight because I forgot to fill up and was already in the bath. It's probably always a good idea to mix it up once in awhile.

We have really good fresh snowmelt water, so maybe I don't have the issues some do.