The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your favorite quick and easy recipes?

I'm a busy college student cooking on my own for the first time, and would love some yummy recipe ideas! I love cooking and have done quite a bit at home, but know I'm not going to have a ton of extra time for complicated recipes throughout the year. I'm really into healthy and nutritious food, and don't eat red meat. What do you guys like to make?

I make this all the time. Can't get easier than a one-pot meal -

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/...exican-quinoa/

Go on pinterest and look up one-pot meals, you'll get hundreds.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I use a slow cooker for this, but you could do it on top of the stove in a covered skillet, too. Take a pound (give or take, exact amount isn't critical) of skinless boneless chicken tenderloins or breasts (either one is OK, I use those frozen ones that come in the 2 pound bag, they don't have to be thawed first). Dump a can of Rotel (I use mild, but suit your own taste) over the chicken.

In a slow cooker, cook on regular for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is tender enough to shred with two forks (one in each hand). In the slow cooker, this is very forgiving of cook times, a pretty wide range is acceptable, it just affects how tender the chicken gets. If you cook it on the stove top, just simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender enough to shred.

This is great over rice or as taco or burrito filling. Everyone I've ever served this to loved it. No one can ever believe it's just chicken and Rotel tossed in the slow cooker and forgotten for 6-8 hours.

Mix mayo and shredded Parmesan cheese together, cover chicken breast, put in the oven and bake for 20 mins. yummmmmmy

3 members found this post helpful.

I've been making chopped salad all summer and just love how easy and versatile it is.
    I start with finely chopped greens, add cukes, avocados, pickles, radishes, red onion, tomatos and whatever else seems fresh and tasty that day.

the secret ingredient is lots of finely chopped crisp bacon, and I toss a bit of plain mayo in it all to moisten. use beans or tuna if you don't care for bacon.
    it takes just a few minutes to make up a large bowl which we nibble on all day long some days.
    hth.

Zucchini Chunks
    Tomato Chunks
    Fresh or freeze-dried Basil
    Fresh Garlic (or the paste in a tube... love that!)
    Frozen deveined/tail-free shrimp
    2 Tblsps. Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper

No real measurements, cuz you make enough for you or others.

Heat oil and saute' chunked zucchini & tomato, with garlic, basil, S&P to taste --till just tender. Add in defrosted shrimp and cook/stir until they just turn pink.

Done... Eat as is or serve over pasta.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I am in college and I love to cook as well. This is cheap, easy and you can change it up easily just doing different vegetables, adding small shrimp or chicken etc:

Fried Ramen with mushroom & peas:

COVER:
    2 pkg. dry ramen noodles,
    seasoning packet discarded
    (3 oz.
    each
    )
    Boiling water
    WHISK:
    2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
    pepper to taste
    SWEAT:
    1 bunch trimmed and sliced
    scallion whites (greens
    reserved)
    3 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
    2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
    2 Tbsp. minced jalapeño
    11 tsp. peanut oil, divided
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 pkg. sliced shiitake
    mushrooms (5 oz.)

1/2 cup frozen green peas

Bias-sliced scallion greens Cover noodles with boiling water and soak, covered, 2 minutes; drain and dry in a salad spinner. Chill noodles on a baking sheet.
    Whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce , and white pepper.
    Sweat scallion whites, ginger,garlic, and jalapeño in a wok or large nonstick skillet in 3 tsp.oil over medium-low heat until
    translucent, 3 minutes; transfer
    to a bowl. Wipe wok clean and
    increase heat to medium-high.
    Cook
    eggs in 2 tsp. oil, gently
    stirring just until set, 1 minute

Transfer eggs to a plate and chop
    when slightly cooled. Wipe wok
    clean and heat 3 tsp. oil over high.
    Add shiitakes and brown, about
    3 minutes. Transfer shiitakes to
    same bowl with scallion whites
    mixture; wipe wok clean.
    Add
    remaining 3 tsp. oil to
    wok and heat until it shimmers.
    Add ramen and stir-fry until
    browned slightly, 2–3 minutes.
    Stir in peas, reserved scallion-shiitake mixture, and eggs; toss
    to heat through. Off heat, add soy
    sauce mixture and scallion greens;
    toss to coat.

* I don't have a salad spinner so I just drain the noodles well and it works out fine.
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.

I love making green chicken curry. Cook the chicken, throw in a can of premade curry paste of your choice along with coconut milk (canned, do NOT use the boxed stuff) and a bunch of frozen veggies (or fresh, up to you) like cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, etc . Bring to boil, cover and cook until meat is done (around 20 minutes).Super easy and saves/reheats well.

Also, during the winter I make a ton of soup with whatever frozen veggies I have on hand. Toss in meat of choice (I personally like to use chicken meatballs) and maybe top with some cheese. Delish!

Thank you all!

Pork or chicken goes well with green pepper, onion, salsa verde, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro. Serve as-is or make into burritos.

I like chicken in butter and garlic with various fresh veggies - diced tomato, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, asparagus - topped with good Parm, chopped basil, and fresh pepper. Serve over pasta (or not).

I like super easy Indian food. Find a jar of tikka masala sauce (I buy mine at Kroger or Walmart). Saute 1/2 stick of butter, diced onion, minced garlic, powdered ginger, diced carrot for about 5 minutes. Add 1 can garbanzo beans (drained, rinsed), jar of sauce, and whatever veggies you like (cauliflower, green beans, peas, lima beans, potatoes). Cook for another 10 minutes or so, serve over rice.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Crispy Onion Chicken - DH's favorite:

skinless boneless chicken boobs
    Dried onion flakes
    bread crumbs
    powdered beef bullion (sp?)
    low fat mayo
    s & p to taste

coat the bottom of a baking dish with non-stick spray and put in the breasts skin side up. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel otherwise the mayo won't stick. Coat the tops with the mayo. Combine the onion flakes, bread crumbs, buillion, and s & p and sprinkle over the chicken. Pat down with back of spoon to adhere. Bake in 350 oven until brown, broil last 5 minutes for extra crispiness. It's delish!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm super busy and my weeknight dinners cannot take more than 30 minutes (preferably mostly hands-off time) and a couple of dishes. My number one tip is to buy a family pack of chicken breasts, poach them all, shred and freeze in single servings (baggies are the easiest.) If you can keep your freezer stocked with precooked shredded chicken you already have the key ingredient for many salad, soup, pasta and other recipes. If you forget to do this or run out you can buy a whole roast chicken from your grocery store for about 5 bucks at the beginning of the week and get roughly the same result.

My shopping list tends to include things I can use over and over and I plan my menus around what I'm purchasing for the week - when you are just cooking for one or two people it is very difficult to shop by recipe and not spend a ton of money.

I typically purchase lettuce, a big bunch of kale, a large carton of grape tomatoes and a rotating "veggie of the week" - broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, whatever. I always have staples like black beans, onions, rice/quinoa, lemons, chicken broth, salsa, shredded cheese, Idaho potatoes, eggs and the aforementioned shredded cooked chicken breasts on hand.

Here is some of my weeknight rotation:

If I've just gone grocery shopping I typically take advantage of everything's maximum freshness level and make a salad with lettuce and whatever other produce I've purchased for my other meals that week. Top with an avocado, chicken and lemon juice and olive oil (or whatever you like) as dressing.

No recipe, but I fake healthier chipotle burrito bowls at home. I throw some rice or quinoa in a pot and while it's doing its thing I saute some onion, chopped kale, mushrooms, etc. in olive oil with garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper and then add a can of black or kidney beans and add the chicken at the very end. Serve with salsa, sour cream and cheese. It doesn't need the chicken if you feel like a vegetarian meal. You can also roll it up in a wrap for a burrito.

I love this recipe. I pretty frequently adapt it with (you guessed it) pre-cooked chicken and kale (or kale and grape tomatoes) instead of sausage and broccoli rabe. The closer I get to the end of the week the more I'm cooking the produce as it starts to get a little wilted...

By this point in the week I'm usually tired and running low on groceries. I use up the rest of my sour cream and salsa by making a baked potato (start in microwave and finish in oven for a nice crispy skin in less time) "twice baking" it by mixing the filling with a bit of butter and cheese and serving with sour cream and salsa (and often the last of the veggies or some frozen broccoli I dig out of the freezer.)

If it's the end the week and I have absolutely nothing left I will often whip up some avgolemono (sometimes I even leave out the rice) or make a chicken salad sandwich with some of my frozen cooked chicken. (Super lazy - heat up shredded chicken with BBQ sauce. Serve on a bun with pickles and hot sauce. Voila! BBQ chicken sandwiches.)

I don't usually shop for weekend dinners in advance as I often go out, order in or decide to make a more time-consuming recipe that I will shop specifically for.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm toying with the idea of pre-shredding butter and freezing it in portions for biscuits. And then pre-mixing the flour and everything but the baking powder and putting it in a container. Then all I'd have to do is throw in baking powder, butter, and milk and BAM! biscuits. We eat a lot of biscuits in my house, which is what spurred me to learn to make them myself. Then all you have to do is brown some sausage and add milk and flour. Comfort food in less than half an hour.

ETA: Sorry, this isn't really healthy
    Quarry Rat

3 members found this post helpful.

There are a bunch of easy recipes in this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=sausage+bean
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Target makes an amazing boxed curry. it's the Archer Farms brand. I like the Korma-style. Super tasty. I'm a huge fan.

Just brown up 1lb diced chicken breast in a medium skillet with 2tbsp vegetable oil, then add the sauce packet and heat through. Meanwhile, cook some rice.

Serve the curry chicken over the rice. I usually add some veggies on the side - this week I steamed asparagus to go with it.

Delicious, super easy, and a box usually has enough for 4 meals. Last night I reheated the leftovers and ate it with tortilla chips. It was AMAZEBALLS.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Another ramen recipe-

Stir fry 1 chopped chicken breast with a handful of frozen chopped green peppers and a dash of soy sauce. Add 3/4 cup of water for each package of ramen, and about half the seasoning packet (I like roast chicken or chile flavor). Cook and stir until the ramens have absorbed most of the water. Add veggies. I dislike most veggies so I add frozen peas. DH uses stir fry veggies.

Sometimes we'll use pork, but I remove the pork before adding the water and then add it back in when I add the veggies.

This is my favorite quick and easy "poor food" meal.

My favourite time saver is a Crock-Pot. Just throw all the ingredients in there and let it do its thing while you go do wahtever else needs doing. I usually make enough for a couple of days or for lunch the next day. Bonus, they don't use much power so they're cheap to run and mione came with a little book that had some easy, tasty recipes

french fry, thanks for those ideas! The avgolemono especially caught my eye!
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I make this all the time. Can't get easier than a one-pot meal -

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/...exican-quinoa/

Go on pinterest and look up one-pot meals, you'll get hundreds.
    I wonder if that would cook up well in the crock pot? I think I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I've done regular quinoa in the crock pot, so I'm sure this would work out just fine.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.