The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making New Friends But Keeping The Old...

Today LMEqT rode our new pony.

He was a good boy and I think appreciated the ride she gave him as he is sensitive and of course a wee bit worried in a new place. I was really proud of her and she had a good time.

Then she popped on Nanny bareback and they hacked around the farm while I fed. I was able to watch them from a distance. It was so touching, to see how well they know each other and the mutual trust and love between them. It has never been more evident than it was today... It was just so very sweet.

She brough her into the barn afterwards, groomed her thoroughly and fed Nanny her dinner in the barn aisle. We were amused that when she was done eating she put herself in her stall for the night that Nanny sure loves her stall!

I feel grateful and wistful at the same time Moms, tell us about your kids transitions to other ponies and their special relationship with the first one!
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Dec. 26, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Whoa! Are you thinking that Rocket will replace Nanny? I thought he was a friend pony... Talk about an upgrade in the world for him if he gets LMEqT rather that her buddies, but still. Poor Nanny....
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Oh no! Shocked and horrified

But this *is* the first other pony she has ridden at home. And there will be others (shhhh dont tell Nanny). It is clearly the beginning of something, KWIM?

Oh and his name is now Rocky. Didnt want to borrow trouble
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Ah! Whew!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

It is definitely the beginning of something, but Nanny will always hold *that* place in her heart. The horse I had when I was 12-17 was passed along to a friend's daughter when I went to college. I started catch riding for various people but then every once in awhile I'd hop on my old friend and it was like coming home. (It's a shame you can't bottle that feeling, I'm forever chasing it!)

So no matter where life leads her, I suspect Nanny will always be Home to LMEqT. But heck, you know this better than I....

Good idea changing that name. Had a mare once, someone gave her to me, she had no name. So....I named her Folly. Can you imagine how it all turned out?!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Oh no!!!! You never told me that before... Bwahahaha...
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Oh no!!!! You never told me that before... Bwahahaha...
    Ha, yeah, that was many moons ago. It was also the last time I had a mare, till now.

Sold her to a lovely woman, who still has her all these years later.... and she did change her name.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yeah, we forget... And then get reminded
    ---