The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Budget saddle for TB

I keep coming up against this problem with different horses ... I have a lot of clients who are leasing maybe an older TB-type eventer - typically a pony-clubber, or re-rider. I'm in good shape with providing dressage saddles to work well on lean Tb-type withers, but what's the best used budget jump saddle to try ? I'm struggling with those.

Typically, it's the sort of horse where an easy old Stubben, even in the perfect width, will bang horribly against his long, high wither. We're not averse to filling in behind with wither with shimmable pads where we have to, but would still like a lot more help with the basic saddle shape if possible. We're talking about the sort of good, decent rider who wants the best for the horse, but is probably starting out with a $500 budget - I can usually push that up to an 800-1200 budget once we've talked about the fact that the saddle will hold its value for resale, but definitely far removed from having something made to fit !

I tend to carry around 10-15 jump saddles with me in my truck, and the most recent 'best fit' for one of these guys was an HDR Rivella, which surprised me how well it fit. What else have you had good luck with ?

Some people will strongly disagree, but my medium tree Berney Bros has fit a wide variety of horses with very, very little complaint on the horses' parts (In the 9+ plus years I've ridden in one and the 100s of horses I have ridden in it, I think I've had exactly TWO horses that really, really couldn't deal. One was a teeny tiny, knife blade of a TB mare). They aren't always perfect, but they have never been so bad that imperfections couldn't easily be remedied with different pad set ups. They are good, solid, well balanced saddles that are well made and will wear out long after the rider is tired of them They also can be found used in the $500-900 range pretty easily. I prefer the TW, but the Dublin Jumper is very similar with a bit more knee roll/block. The Prix (I think) is more of a close contact, a little less forward, but a very nice, balanced, good looking saddle, as well.

I've become a fan of the County Stablizers and Stabilizer XTR's, having learned quite a lot recently from Jess, who works with Canter Mid Atlantic and rides lots of TBs as part of the retraining program.

Default sddle

Im in the UK and have found the thorogood T4 Robert whitaker jump saddle good for the TB. You have the adjustble headplates. I got mine for £200 off ebay. They fit very, very well.

Not brilliantly comfortable to ride in, but perfectly acceptable.

Collegiate Nobility Jump it is wool flocked.. sort of a knock off on the Albion K2 .good prices on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collegiate-N...item5ae2dfdc77

Kate try the Ainsleys. I have an old Chester (the one you've worked on with the hole in the knee roll! ) that has been doable for every TB I've put it on--usually much better than doable! Even the newer models in good shape can be found for less than $1k and they are great saddles. I would also focus on other English made saddles.

One thing to keep in mind--especially if your looking for older saddles--there is a tendancy for saddles to most likely fit the horses that are similar to the ones usually found in the country the saddle is made in. (This makes great sense if you think about practical sales and marketing issues!) Saddles from England are more likely to fit a TB type and saddles from Germany are more likely to fit a WB type. While this is a vast over generalization and you will find TBs that do well in Stubbens I have found this little info nugget to be very useful in the couple decades since I first heard it.

My 17.5 medium Toulouse Premia seems to fit everything I have pretty well. It's flaps arent very far farward, but you know how long my leg is and it still works! The saddle is pretty cheap new, and oils up to be very pretty!
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

My Ovation 4-star eventer fits EVERYTHING remotely resembling a TB.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

MY Stubben fits everything. (except big fat couch looking QH's!)

I don't think even your Stubben would fit Doc, ecg, because that's what we tried ! I even tried pressing one to fit, but no cigar. I had forgotten about the Berney Bros, yellowbritches, good thnking - I have one of those... and an Albion in the right price range that we haven't tried yet. Oh, subk ... ever since we talked about those Ainsleys - they've been rare as hen's teeth ! I keep my eyes open, but the one Chester I found sold instantly, and i have never found a Pro-National come my way !

good tips ... keep 'em coming !

Another vote for the Ainsley (can't remember the model). My trainer has one and it miraculously fits many horses acceptably, including a 17' TB and a 15'1" appy / TBx, w/ appropriate pads. I found it very comfortable and it really improved my position.

My TB mare isn't completely sharklike, but has done remarkably well w/ a Collegiate Convertible (can't remember which model). This one has the swappable gullet plates, and is pretty good, I think.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I agree with a toulouse for the reasonable price all around fit, my daughter had the monoflap toulouse and it was fine on many horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ponies View Post
    Collegiate Nobility Jump it is wool flocked.. sort of a knock off on the Albion K2 .
    This was going to be my suggestion. I have a nobility I paid $750 brand new for. LOVE that saddle and I'm a total tack snob
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My BF (tall!) has a courbette vision extra forward flap. Nice saddle that is wool flocked and has fit everything that he has ridden - shark finned TBs, little WBs and now a ginormous WB in the barn. My trainer has been pretty pleased how nicely it can go on all the horses in the barn who have a wither.

Great saddle for a great price if you can find one and deal with the non-traditional two tone look. Also nice for riders with longer legs/femurs - I'm 5'4" with long hip to thigh and it did me pretty well in a pinch even though the seat was too big.

Here's another vote for a Berney. Mine cost $100 used and fits young TBs with high withers as well as the other horses. We've restarted plenty of OTTBs in it.

A note on the vision. They have a very rearward balance point and are generally not good for short backs. Loved mine when I rode a HUGE hano.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Agree on the Berney Bros. Also, have had great luck with the older Courbettes (Pandur FZ). I have heard, but don't have personal experience, that the Exselle saddles http://www.exselle.com/ fit TBs well. They typically have a lot at Rick's http://www.saddlesource.com/close-co...ing-top-anchor
    I have also had very good luck with the Kieffer jumping saddles, though they are harder to come by.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    MY Stubben fits everything. (except big fat couch looking QH's!)
    Mine too! Though I also occasionally have to pad a bit on some horses. I find that a sheepskin pad will fill in the gaps pretty well if necessary.

Default Hey! Maybe this could a second career!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Agree on the Berney Bros. Also, have had great luck with the older Courbettes (Pandur FZ). I have heard, but don't have personal experience, that the Exselle saddles http://www.exselle.com/ fit TBs well. They typically have a lot at Rick's http://www.saddlesource.com/close-co...ing-top-anchor
    I have also had very good luck with the Kieffer jumping saddles, though they are harder to come by.
    actually, scubed, it's occurred to me that you could have a second career going as a personal saddle shopper... . Plus, that way you could have all the fun of finding and buying, without adding to your saddle collection (or is THAT really the fun? )
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I found that my Ovation 4 star fits a wide variety of horses very well.

It does not work so well for my new TB with the tallest withers on the planet, so I got a Thorowgood T8 as a cheap dressage saddle that is wool flocked, has room for his huge withers, and has an adjustable gullet. The saddle fits him perfectly. I'm pleased with the fit of the Thorowgood, and the price is right as well.