The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying American Made Clothes

Does anyone buy American Made clothes specifically jeans, oxford shirts, etc.? I have started looking on the internet for jeans but before I ordered I wanted some advice on what companies offer a good product at a reasonable price.

Thanks, Bopper

While I would never pay full price for them ($150-$200 a pair), the jeans that I own from True Religion, Rock and Republic, Chip and Pepper, and 7 for All Mankind are amazingly comfortable and durable, with "modern" styling. They're made in America, and I keep an eye out for them at thrift stores and bargain stores. My local TJMaxx has had 7's for $24.99 recently. Ebay is also a fantastic resource.

For jeans that need less bargain hunting, SOME Carhartts are made in the US. You'll have to google to find out which particular styles they are.

For basic shirts/sweaters/etc you can't beat American Apparel. They're SUPER pricey initially, but the website has good sales and you can also find their stuff on ebay and at discount stores as well.

And honestly, "cheap" and "made in America" rarely go together. Mainly 'cause no American is down for working for $.35 an hour!

My local TJMaxx has had 7's for $24.99 recently. Ebay is also a fantastic resource.
    BUT these sorts of purchases are NOT keeping these companies in business

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    BUT these sorts of purchases are NOT keeping these companies in business
    I know, but I'm a poor college student....can't buy a pair of jeans that's more than half my weekly minimum-wage paycheck, not with a horse (and myself, and two dogs, and a cat, and a gas guzzling vehicle) to support!

Even when they say made here, it might be made by a US company that does assembly in another country. And places like US territories may not follow US labor laws, but still qualify as US made. The only items you can prove are US made, are the ones you use your sewing machine for.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White