The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire?

Ok, other than the $50 price difference.... which is better?

My Mom and MIL have nooks so I'm thinking that's the way I want to go so we can share books.

DH got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas but I told him I'd rather have the nook... What do ya'll think?
    Visit us: www.integritysporthorses.com
    High quality retirement boarding: www.flattireranchtx.com

My niece got the Fire and thinks it is awesome and much better than the nook, can do a lot more. I have no idea myself.

I have the Fire, and I really like it. The screen doesn't hurt my eyes when I read, and it's a pretty good web browser. I bought it solely for reading books and magazines, so I doubt I will put music or apps on it.

My only qualm is that after you download a book, whether from the library or from buying it, you have to turn off the Kindle or disconnect/reconnect to the internet before the download will start. Kind of irritating, but I put up with it.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post

My only qualm is that after you download a book, whether from the library or from buying it, you have to turn off the Kindle or disconnect/reconnect to the internet before the download will start. Kind of irritating, but I put up with it.
    I don't have that problem....???

I love my kindle Fire. It was a gift (I would never have bought one for myself, I am such a "real books" person) but I really, really like it!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I just got a Kindle and I love it but my mom Loves it more then I do lol.

I got the Kindle Fire for Christmas and I squealed. :lol

As far as sharing goes though I found out a lot of ebook have DRM (I think that's what it is) and unless you guys are on the same account you cant share books past lending (which the kindle has a limit of 14 days per book and if you lend out you don't have access to said book for those 14 days) So no copying those books. makes me sad, :lol I was planning on "stealing" some of my roomies e-books but they wont read on my Kindle because *I* didnt buy them. :lol

Aside form that Ive been playing with it alllll day. I love it.

Schune I don't know why you are having that problem? I don't at all. The only problem I had with my kindle and internet access was when I was at my in-laws they use a MiFi thing so dont have cable internet, they turned on their X-Box 360, so that and combined with 2 other kindles meant i couldn't web service but still could download books, ebay, etc.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

From the author of the Kindle books end, Kindle has sweetened the pot for authors making their books exclusive to Kindle and available for lending (70% royalties PLUS a cut of a $500,000 pot in December and up to $6mil next year, which doesn't amount to a LOT per author who gets borrowed, but it's more than Nook gives you.) So you may see more reading material available via Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    I have the Fire, and I really like it. The screen doesn't hurt my eyes when I read, and it's a pretty good web browser. I bought it solely for reading books and magazines, so I doubt I will put music or apps on it.

No you don't! I buy books all the time for mine, and by the time I finish paying for it, the download has started. Not sure what is going on with yours!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Just got one for christmas but also have the ipad, and I like the fire better then the ipad. It loads much quicker and I like the screen better too. Plus its easier to search for stuff like apps/movies.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    No you don't! I buy books all the time for mine, and by the time I finish paying for it, the download has started. Not sure what is going on with yours!
    Hmm! That's weird.

Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars