The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please tell me about Childeric M saddles

I'm on a hunt for a saddle for my 16'1 warmblood shaped mare. She is very sensitive mare and doesn't seem to like to much of a close contact feel with her saddle.

I'm on a budget so I am looking for a used saddle, but would like a better name if I can find one. While searching I came across a Childeric model M saddle. It is in my price range and seems to be her size (haven't fitted it to her yet), and seems like an ok saddle.

I have done a small search on the net about them, haven't found anything bad yet, but would like to hear some other's opinions.

I primary will be riding her hunter/jumper with a little eventing added in.

Thank you.

I LOVE my Childeric M. In fact, my Xmas present to myself was a brand new one that I got a great deal on. I also have 2 used ones, one of which I am selling, the other I am keeping as a second saddle for shows where I have both my youngsters in the same class.

I first sat in a Childeric when I met Jill Henselwood and was lucky enough to ride one of her horses. I fell in love with that saddle and went on a hunt to find one. That was years ago, and EVERYONE who rides in my saddle loves it, asks what it is, and usually ends up buying one!

In the past I have owned Butet, County, an older Hermes, and Prestige in the last ten or so years, plus ridden in countless others . Childeric is by far my favorite and I doubt I'll ever buy anything else. That said, it is a French saddle and has a fairly close contact IMO, so if that's not what you're after, you might look elsewhere. Good luck shopping!!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I also have the Childeric M-- love it, best saddle I ever owned. Ironically, I also have a 16.1 warmblood mare. Definitely not a budget saddle, but I got mine used from fineusedsaddles.com. It is better balanced for me than my previous Beval saddle and I feel much more secure in it. The workmanship is beautiful-- if a saddle can be pretty, this one definitely is. As long as the saddle fits the horse I have, I doubt I will want to get anything else.

Do you have a tack shop where you might be able to take one on trial? I'd echo buschkn's comment that it does have a close contact feel. Good luck with your search!

Count me as another Childeric M fan. I find my Childeric well-balanced and feel very secure in it, which has been a great help in dealing with my mare's recent antics. I moved into it from a Crosby PDN, and I was worried that I wouldn't like the pads and blocks and deeper seat, but it was REALLY easy to get used to the added comfort, which I do miss on those occasions when I ride in the Crosby. Now that's a close contact saddle.

I have the Childeric M and LOVE it as well, and have fit a wide range of horses I've ridden as well.

Check out Running Fox, they sell used Childeric's

Thanks everyone...I'm going to check it out.

I have been riding the mare in a Crosby, which I liked and she liked better than my Barnsby which she just hated. Ah the joys of picky horses :-)

Of the higher end saddles, its my least favourite. Id prefer a devoucoux, antares, amerigo, CWD or delgrange far before a childeric. However...its all what your horse and bum like.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Of the higher end saddles, its my least favourite. Id prefer a devoucoux, antares, amerigo, CWD or delgrange far before a childeric. However...its all what your horse and bum like.
    Why? Just curious.....

Count me as another one who LOVES the Childeric M.

Bought my first one in 2001 and second one in 2004. Sold the first one (due to it being a wide and not needing that size tree) and still have my 2004.

It has the best balance (for me) of any saddle I've ever ridden in.