The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hawaii!!

For Christmas, my parents gifted us a family trip to Hawaii for the first 10 days of August. We will be going to Oahu and Maui.

"Riding on the beach" has been on my bucket list for quite some time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places that offer beach riding? I would like to go somewhere that allows you to do more than just walk and has good horses for advanced riders but also offers beginner horses (my father will be coming with me and he has very limited riding experience).

Anyone that has ridden on the beach before - what kind of gear should I bring?

Thanks in advance!!
    Professional hunter princess

I don't know that Hawaii is the best place to ride on the beach. There are some longer beaches, but you would certainly never go in the water there. It can be very dangerous to swim at times. If you want to do that, you want to go some place you can get in the water and at least go through it or swim.

I've ridden on the beach/ocean here north of SF. There are lots of great open beaches. Going in the ocean doesn't usually work well because horses get dizzy with the water and waves. It's much more fun to ride in a river or something. I've just always ridden in normal riding gear, and if it gets wet, it does.

Most of the ranches in Maui are up on the way to the crater. I don't know that they have anything where it is on the beach. http://www.hawaiiinfoguide.com/maui_horsebackriding.htm