The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Portuguese champion mare featured by North American Lusitano Breeders Association

Not wanting to hog the forum, but I'm very excited about this and just wanted to share.

This is the featured video of 3 year old purebred Lusitano mare Dihamante:
    http://vimeo.com/33968716

I have two questions, as I don't have a rich education in the lusitano breed and want to learn.
    1. what's up with her tail carriage? Instead of the arc I would expect given the way she uses her body, her tail seemed inverted.
    2. To me, her neck seems very short. Is this desirable, or an optical illusion?

She's seriously yummy otherwise... those were just two things that stuck out as odd to me.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

The tail carriage is typical for a Lusitano, since this breed has the tail set a little lower than, for example, the Arabian horses.
    The fact that the neck is usually thicker than most non-draft breeds might make it look short, but its actually medium length.

I found a site that has all the requirements for a horse to enter the Lusitano Sud Book in english and it should probably clarify your doubts better than me:

http://www.lusitano.dk/Lusitano.htm

she's beautiful!!! loved how the handler and the mare had their legs timed together.

She had the classic "Roman" nose of the breed and the straight back.

just so beautiful!!!

What is her breeding?
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

She was bred by Coudelaria do Monte Velho studs, sired by Hostil, dam is Queixosa. The sire has training in Grand Prix Dressage and the dam is the the PSL Portuguese bred mare with most awards.

Very nice!!!

G.

She's gorgeous. I do wish they wouldn't breed so much FOR ugly heads but hers is tolerable, some are scary! I do not like them shaving the tails, it seems cruel since they no longer can switch flies and as far as I know no country where these breeds are popular are fly-less. Often the opposite in fact!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Just so you know where i'm coming from, PRE and Lusitanos are my favorite breeds. In fact, I own a PRE myself. I think your mare has lovely gaits, a deep chest, and I happen to like her head. Very typey. BUT, I do think she looks to me like she's a bit long in the back and/or short through the neck. But maybe the experts feel her superb gaits overcome those traits?

Anita, as much as I'd like it, that's not my mare. If it were, I'd be a very lucky (and rich)girl.
    The video was made when she was 1 year old and still growing, she is 3 now and just started under saddle. This is the breeder's FB page:
    http://www.facebook.com/cmontevelho#...type=1&theater

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    She's gorgeous. I do wish they wouldn't breed so much FOR ugly heads but hers is tolerable, some are scary! I do not like them shaving the tails, it seems cruel since they no longer can switch flies and as far as I know no country where these breeds are popular are fly-less. Often the opposite in fact!
    Ugly heads? Convex profiles are typical of barroque breeds. I'm not a fan of typical Arabian heads but I'd hardly call them ugly. I guess it's a matter of taste.

Shaving the mane and tail is a cultural thing, to make the conformation stand out in young horses. I would prefer not to see them shaved, but it's hardly cruel. Just because the tails are shaved doesn't mean they can't move them.

I have cared for a Lusitano for many years. The horse linked above is a lovely example of her breed, and I'm sure her breeder must be very proud of her accomplishments. The music on this site is irritating as heck, but once I shut down the volume, I could enjoy the horse. Thanks for sharing.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/