The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default No Good Deed goes Unpunished - a rant!

On Friday, we helped a family (single mother, two teenage daughters) move from an untenable situation to a rental home of their own. They were sharing a home with the grandmother, brother, the brother's live-in boyfriend, and a pack of mangy unruly dogs - at least 7 of them. They now moved to a trailer that at least gives them more space and fewer dogs (they took one puppy with them), but even the trailer scares me half to death.

The house they moved from was straight from a scene on Hoarders - seriously, crap piled everywhere, roaches, and one room reeked of dog piss and crap. Their dogs were all itching and scratching, and we did our best to minimize out exposure to it all. It was a nightmare of epic proportions.

Well, evidently we didn't do well enough, and now our dogs have fleas (and they never did before). And of course I ran out of Comfortis, and the vet's office won't be open until tomorrow.

So, I have spot tested the dogs with Absorbine Ultrashield, to make sure they don't have an adverse reaction to it before I spray them all up good. And yes, it is labelled for use on dogs, with complete instructions.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I can't do laundry until after Tuesday. My daughter thought she would help her friends (the family we helped to move) and do some of their wash, and our dryer broke, and we can't get the replacement parts until Tuesday due to the holiday - this was on Saturday, and when my husband called for parts, the store was closing in 20 minutes, and there is no way he could have gotten there in that short of time.

So, I need to strip the beds, spray the mattresses and pillows (we have spray for that, not using the Ultrashield).

Not exactly how I planned on spending the Christmas weekend.

Really, all we were trying to do was help out, as this family has no other friends (they are new to the area), and limited funds (living on disability checks - and no child support from the deadbeat dad).

Thank you OT Day for letting me vent.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Um, it's not as though the FAMILY you helped passed on the fleas to you. Go to a laundromat and realize for the future that you are not the type of person who should do something like this again.

I understand Munchkin LOL!!! You done good but dang sometimes doing good has some, errrm, extra attached.

If I was closer I would bring you some Advantage.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Um, it's not as though the FAMILY you helped passed on the fleas to you. Go to a laundromat and realize for the future that you are not the type of person who should do something like this again.
    I know, I hesitated to post this, as it does make me feel shallow and petty (as it should).

There are no laudromats open on Christmas day.

This too shall pass, I just needed to get it off my chest (and now to get the fleas out of my house).
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Ahh....fleas.

Could be worse.

Bless you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Try to focus on the "good" part of the deed, not the "flea" part, LOL. I'm sure it is appreciated, at least.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    I know, I hesitated to post this, as it does make me feel shallow and petty (as it should).

This too shall pass, I just needed to get it off my chest (and now to get the fleas out of my house).
    I didn't get the feeling from your post that you were blaming the family you helped. Personally, I can understand you wanting to vent--that sounds incredibly frustrating, especially on a holiday weekend! It's not like the family you helped move intentionally gave you fleas or broke your dryer, but those things still happened and it can't be fun.

Can't you rig a temporary laundry line? We still hang a lot of stuff - I couldn't function if my washer was broken, but do just fine without a dryer. Edit: Oh, and fleas would drive me nuts as well - poor pups!

I wouldn't wait til Tuesday when the dryer gets fixed, but tomorrow take everything in garbage bags and go to the nearest big laundromat. You can do everything at once and by tomorrow night you'll feel a lot better with clean laundry.

And I know what you mean about helping someone and ending up with fleas. It's still good that you helped them move, and by Tuesday or so you can get all of the fleas gone and you'll be fine.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Good advice on the garbage bags for the sheets, I hadn't quite thought of that in my fit of pique.

And thanks again for letting me vent.

Oh my, I guess I must be, what was that? shallow and petty? because all I could think of was, ick! Why have all those dogs if you can't care for them? Just being poor doesn't mean you have to be dirty!

Good of you to help them out, sorry about the fleas.

Oh man, that gave me the itchies!

Hang in there, I hear you on the ick factor

if you have a small animal er in your area, they will likely sell you either capstar, frontline, or advantix as an otc product without an exam

Glad you posted this. Fleas do suck in one of the biggest ways ever, so I'm glad you've gotten some good ideas on how to handle this as quickly as possible. Good luck!

I would take the laundry, put it in garbage bags and knot it shut, and toss them outside until you can do the laundry.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Laundry is all in bags, tied shut tightly. Bed is sprayed, and drying before I put clean sheets on it. Waiting for my husband to return with two of the dogs (he took them out for a long Christmas walk), to check the spots I sprayed with Ultrashield.

Thanks everyone.

Dial or Ivory Soap will kill fleas on them, is a bath possible?

We are so accustomed to bugs down here y'all sound damn crazy! You all are talking like you got bed bugs or lice from them! If I go one week over on the Revolution the dogs have fleas and they often have fleas in spite of it. And forget the Advantage, Frontline...the fleas here drink it after work. hahaha it is all what you are used to I guess. Glad you helped the lady.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

When I looked you are from Florida too! So, you are just crazy. Sorry.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Nah. I don't think anyone would think you're shallow at all. Just remember, when the dogs are scratching and you start to fume about the dryer, you helped move a family out of squalor. Squalor that I'm sure had many, many more fleas and other pests running around. I've seen some similar horrors here in rural Ga., so I'm sure the family's very, very grateful to you.
    The dude abides ...