The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are kids like cats or dogs?

I need a fur analogy

Dogs- take a puppy, and you can mold them to fit your lifestyle to an extent. you can bring out certain aspects of their personality, and supress others.

Cats- by 8 weeks, they are who they are going to be for the rest of their lives. Either you adapt to accept them, or you adapt to accept them for who they are. A shy cat will always be a shy cat, a lap cat will always love a warm lap, if they prefer height, they won't become under cats, and so on.

I'm one of those that lives on the fence about having kids. I eat sleep and breathe my work with horses. If kids are like dogs, there's a good chance they will grow up loving the barn, but if they are like cats, there's no hope
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Both

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I need a fur analogy

Dogs- take a puppy, and you can mold them to fit your lifestyle to an extent. you can bring out certain aspects of their personality, and supress others.

Cats- by 8 weeks, they are who they are going to be for the rest of their lives. Either you adapt to accept them, or you adapt to accept them for who they are. A shy cat will always be a shy cat, a lap cat will always love a warm lap, if they prefer height, they won't become under cats, and so on.

I'm one of those that lives on the fence about having kids. I eat sleep and breathe my work with horses. If kids are like dogs, there's a good chance they will grow up loving the barn, but if they are like cats, there's no hope

Both. It's like a cat that takes a long time to decide if it likes the lap or the top of the bookshelf. You can mold it a bit like a puppy, teach it to run and play or do obedience, but eventually the cat will appear All you can do is hope you've given it enough to think about in regards to chosing the lap over the shelf.

Keep in mind, you will keep a cat or dog until it dies. A child must go out and function in society at some point, so the training will differ And you can't crate kids in the same way as puppies.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    And you can't crate kids in the same way as puppies.
    Plus spay/neuter is frowned upon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

if you're on the fence about kids, DON'T have any. The world's seriously overpopulated, so we don't need any more.
    I know more than one person who SERIOUSLY regrets having kids. It's not true that you'll love them if you have them- you might not.
    And you can only "mold" them so much. And you will be stuck with them forever. You can't "play" with them for two years and then rehome them when you get tired of them.

Don't have em'.

Animals don't demand how you spend your money on them, even a bad dog is dead after 12 years, you can spay and neuter (and even if you don't, you can sell the young ones...frowned on with babies for some reason).

Cats are house trained almost instantly, kids...crapping for years in diapers (and they don't clean themselves).

Kittens and puppies are cute...babies, ghastly for the first month or so (pink meatloaf that whines)...then might be cute and then hit puberty and should be euthanized in many cases...again, frowned on.

Kids wouldn't be so bad if you had a litter and could keep the good one....it's like horses, you breed-get one youngster-don't know if it's worth anything for years. Why risk it?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Kids are like dogs. They bark (talk/squeal/shout) all the time, they never stop running around and banging into things, and they take ages to housebreak!

Give me a kit, not a kid, any day!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Don't have em'.

Animals don't demand how you spend your money on them, even a bad dog is dead after 12 years, you can spay and neuter (and even if you don't, you can sell the young ones...frowned on with babies for some reason).

Cats are house trained almost instantly, kids...crapping for years in diapers (and they don't clean themselves).

Kittens and puppies are cute...babies, ghastly for the first month or so (pink meatloaf that whines)...then might be cute and then hit puberty and should be euthanized in many cases...again, frowned on.

Kids wouldn't be so bad if you had a litter and could keep the good one....it's like horses, you breed-get one youngster-don't know if it's worth anything for years. Why risk it?
    ROFLMAO!!!

You are cheerful today!

(but yeah, baby selling is a big no-no around these parts. Go figure! )
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You CAN have a litter and pick the good one. You take fertility drugs, produce mutiple embryos, keep one or two and freeze the rest. For later?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    You CAN have a litter and pick the good one. You take fertility drugs, produce mutiple embryos, keep one or two and freeze the rest. For later?

well, close...

I think you are thinking of having 8 and keeping one...

Some of both, but more like puppies, IMO.

My personal opinion is that children born later in life tend to be more spoiled and.... to use your term, cat-like, whereas children born to younger parents tend to be *less* "center of the universe", and thus..... molded to fit the parents lifestyle.

Just my opinion.

I am glad I have my two -- one is 20, one is 15. They are GREAT kids. None of the bad stuff people always harp on with kids. They are fun and nice people to know. I guess I'm supposed to think that because I'm their mom, but I know a lot of parents that love their children, but maybe don't always like them. I like mine. I like being around them. They are fun. Wouldn't trade having kids for any other experience. Totally worth it, IMO. Wish I'd had a few more.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Love my kids-I trained them and so they get along well with me. They like and do what we do. They do chores. They're good workers, good company, and by no means are spoiled loud little freaks. I've nearly raised two capable, funny, helpful, loving horse and animal people that I'm happy to have as roommates.

Choose to have them or not but don't be surprised when people don't appreciate the kid hater posts.

I don't know about cats and dogs, but they are just like horses.

I can wrangle my sister's 28 lb/ 16 month old kid because she's just like my colt when he weighed about 800 lbs. Exactly the same.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I don't know about cats and dogs, but they are just like horses.
    This. But, it can go both ways -- just like your favorite horses or like the difficult ones that can't play well with others, or are holy terrors or are hypersensitive.

Kids and horses have stronger personalities and children really need a lot of daily care for a very long time (just like a horse!)

But, maybe the pick of the litter idea might be just the ticket....
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Both!

I guess for me it is a little different since I have a 13 year old stepson, I have known him since he was little but there is a big difference having a kid live with you when a lot of their behaviors have been set by someone else.

I see it as every person is born with tendencies and traits, their behavior is molded by how they are raised and some traits will be brought out and some minimized, but they are still there.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/