The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: "War Horse" Movie Rating

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 Tissues - Must see! Bring plenty of Kleenex tissue!

21 12.50%
  • 3 Tissues - Very good! Shed some tears.

75 44.64%
  • 2 Tissues - It was okay. Took my full Kleenex box back home.

52 30.95%
  • 1 Tissue - I wish I had spent the time with my horse.

20 11.90%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default The CotH "War Horse" Movie Rating Poll

So, let's find out how many "Tissues" the CotHers are giving "War Horse" now that it is opening nationwide. Reviews and impressions also - post here!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Dunno Mike, I think you let off early

5 tissues: Hubby wisely brought a roll of TP
    6 tissues: Sent him for more halfway through
    7 tissues: cried so much in the first 5 minutes I needed saline to cry for the rest...

Not sure when we'll see it. But I'm sure I be wisely taking a roll...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I will not be seeing it in a theater. I sob out loud.

I'm interested in hearing reviews from people that saw it. I'm planning on going this evening.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Default I liked it

It was easier to watch knowing that the trench scene was a anamatronic horse. Not a child's movie.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I am pretty sure I cannot watch it.

I was traumatized as a child watching Old Yeller. The Red pony wasn't much better. Phar Lap? Horse movies cause emotional trama.

Ergo, I will pass. Won't even watch the trailers.

I just got home. Honestly, it was a lot less graphic than I was expecting for a war movie and I didn't feel weepy at any point.

Also, if you expecting a movie that is based on the book you may be disappointed. Several, if not most, of the key plot lines and details have been changed.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Overly melodramatic. Definitely a kids movie. A lot of holes in the story. Thumbs down.

I enjoyed the movie and thought the people you met as Joey was in service for the war were interesting. The last big battle scene was handled well for the world that we are today- we were spared up close maiming but could not ignore the larger horror of the battle or the conditions for the troops.

To me the part where Joey was running through the lines and trenches (seen on the trailer) touched on the chaos of war- you couldn't figure out which battle line he was behind in the confusion of a night time gun battle. Made me sad for all the World War I soliders who lost their lives.

In this movie Joey goes through living hell but survives. I think we can all rally around behind a survivor, be they human or horse.

Who caught any horsey accuracy faux pas?
    I caught 2 in the early part of the movie.

Two thumbs down. I thought it sucked.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Very disappointed....and some very stupid parts. Why did the human doctor leave his injured human patients to deal with a horse? Explain to a little girl why her daddy isn't coming home because the doctor treated a horse instead of him. Oh well.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Probably won't buy the DVD but it was ok. Black Beautyish in some ways but you want to rally behind this brave horse. Of course some was sappy and there were horse inaccuricies but we all tend to see those instead of allowing ourselves to get involved in the story.
    Not as visually violent as I thought it would be but the innuendo is there. There are a couple of scenes that are kind of cool and some that border stupid but generally ok. One of the horse actors is quite handsome and I think I read that some were tb's but in one scene where the horse is a siloutte, it kind of looks like and Andulusian to me.

I enjoyed it. Probably not my fav movie that I've seen, but did like it.

It lost me a little during the barbed wire scene. They made it WAY too dramatic. Had 1/4 of what "happened" really did, the horse would be total hamburger. Of course, after, he had a few little scratches.

Hubby and I did enjoy it, and did a double header. We went to Mission Impossible right after War Horse. I will say that I liked that movie too.

So, two good movies, even tho they were totally different types of movies. It was a good day

BTW - Hubby and I did cry a couple of spots. It is pretty sappy, and we fell for it, lol.

It was good, in a Secretariat sort of way. Horse people are going to get impatient with some of the less than accurate horse stuff. I bristled at the "young boy tames wild horse" stuff. But... No biggie.

I thought the grisly scenes were filmed tactfully enough that older children wouldn't freak too much. (scene with German deserters in particular)

There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Not even me.
    Last edited by JSwan; Dec. 25, 2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    It was good, in a Secretariat sort of way. Horse people are going to get impatient with some of the less than accurate horse stuff. I bristled at the "young boy tames wild horse" stuff. But... No biggie.

I thought the grisly scenes were filmed tactfully enough that older children wouldn't freak too much. (scene with German deserters in particular)

There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Not even me.
    Agree JSwan.

Expecting realistic equine, or any, activity in any movie is foolish. Movie makers have to cut corners, otherwise movies would be days in length instead 2+ hours.
    In this movie we followed a horse from birth, through training, then through 4 years of war, apx 8 years. Yeah they had to cut a few corners to fit it all in 2.5 hours.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I liked it but thought that several of the scenes were overly-cinematically filmed. More, "Behold this great cinematic moment!!!!" then "we're trying to tell a story here."

Also, I just can't get into it when movie characters train their horses via explanatory exposition.

"OK! So I'm going to stand over HERE, and you're going to stand over THERE, and then when I call and point you are going to come jump this jump! You just need to jump this jump over here, ok? This is VERY IMPORTANT so I will E. NUN. CI. ATE., gesticulate grandly and repeat myself twice and then you will be trained!"
    I was waiting for the Flicka girl to suddenly appear with her arm outstretched whispering "Joey. Jooeeeeyyyy."

Hey, it worked for Flicka.

But overall it was a sweet movie with likable characters so who am I to complain?

Hey guys, it's based on a CHILDREN'S novel so it had to be made a bit hoakey. I agree with most everyones responses, but I had to keep reminding myself that it was made, and rated PG13 to keep in line with a book a child would read.

Would love to see SS do an 'R' rated version.

Was it the best movie I've ever seen? No. Was it beautifully filmed, emotionally engaging, and felt far shorter than it's 2.5 hours? Definitely.

I firmly believe that when you see a horse movie (or any other topic that you know a lot about) you have to suspend disbelief because they're making a movie for a much wider audience than just horse people. If you let yourself be engaged and laugh at the silly goose, and cry at the heart-wrenching scenes, cheer for the good guys, and admire all that the horse and the boy embody? Well worth the time and money to see it on the big screen.

First time in a long time I've seen a movie that had my attention from beginning to end.

The NY Times said that it was much more an ET style Spielberg movie than a Private Ryan one and I think that's spot on. It really is intended for anyone 12/13 and up and I think he hits the sweet spot for an audience that diverse.

LOVED the book. And generally love schmaltzy horsey movies that require suspension of reality.

Where the movie stuck to the book, like the relationship with Emilie, it was beautiful. Where it strayed.... dear lord. Cinematography was all over the map, acting was terrible, horse stuff unrealistic (which I'd expected, but usually the first two make up for it). I felt like SS couldn't decide if he was directing a kids movie or an adult's version, and didn't bridge the gap well.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."