The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HDR Hunt Bridle

Hi, I'm looking for a flat hunt bridle. I don't hunt but I just love how they look. I want to get something inexpensive, in the 50-75 range. I saw this bridle online and wondered if anyone has seen one in person and could speak to the quality.

Thanks!

http://www.lexingtonhorse.com/index....oducts_id=4708

I have not seen the HDR Hunt Bridle, but I wanted to throw out another possible option - Bartville Harness. I own 2 of the Bartville Harness Hunt Bridles. They are built to last, and are extremely good quality bridles for the money. They are slightly over the price range you suggested, $91.05 for the horse size, and $56.95 for 3/4" laced reins (both in the 2012 catalog). Their stuff is built to last, made from great quality domestic leather, and has either stainless steel roller buckles or solid brass buckles. If you are looking for a good flat working bridle that needs to hold up to hard use, they are just the ticket.

A Happy Bartville Customer (Multiple times over...)

Cool! Thank you for the suggestion!

Default HDR Hunt Bridle

I've owned an HDR Hunt Bridle for about four years. Very nice, pliable, high quality leather. I only use it for hunting and clean it after every use so it still looks new.

I haven't tried Bartville, but they frequently come up as suppliers of good tack on this board.

Tack Wholesale has a $69.95 flat hunt bridle that is also sold at State Line Tack, it's the Paris Tack line. I have two of these. The first one I bought from them is a splendid bridle. The next one I bought was not been nearly as nice but the price was great and it's sturdy. My gripe with the second one is that it's really stiff. In a wetter climate than Arizona and with more conditioning, it would be better. They post reviews on the website.

We also use KL Select hunt bridles and I have one from Horse Country. So I'm picky! The other items I have gotten from Tack Wholesale have been very satisfactory. We use their oversize, fleece lined saddle pads with pockets to carry water bottles to hydrate our beagle pack when we're hunting. They make the only western headstall I have found that nicely fits draft cross/warmblood heads.