The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snot from one nostril only; update post 12

About two weeks ago, a horse I have on trial started having yellow snot out one nostril. Vet was out and after conferring with owner, it was decided to do one week of Uniprim (Sulfadiazine and Trimethoprim) powder. This did not completely clear it up.

He now has a vet appointment for Monday to have his mouth/teeth examined, x-rays etc. I am quite sure it is dental, but can anyone think of any other reason one nostril would be snotty? He has never had a fever and is otherwise perfectly normal. Before the Uniprim reduced the snot, it could get pretty stinky.

Edited to add that he is coming 15.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
    friend of bar.ka

I always start with a scope. Best guess is sinus or guttural pouch. A scope would most likely show either.

My mare started like that on a Friday, just one nostril, yellowish discharge. By Sunday, the discharge was heavy and stinking up the whole barn. It turned out to be an abscessed tooth root (upper molar) which had to be removed at the clinic. Antibiotics for 6 weeks and packing change every two weeks. She fully recovered and never missed a meal!!! but did the barn ever stink!!

A neighbor's horse had a big sinus cyst that caused 1 sided yellow green nasal discharge.

Human children will have 1 sided green nasal discharge after they put beans and other small objects high up in 1 nostril.

My guess would be a bad tooth.

Likely a fractured molar leading to a sinus infection.

In early November, my mare had a flap sinsotomy to remove the fractured molar and to 'clean' out her sinsuses. A foley catheter was also inserted through her forehead into her sinuses. She looked like a frankenhorse with a tube stuck in her head, and a 1.5" x 3" inch rectangular incision site that was swollen. I had to flush 4 liters of dilute betadine solution though the catheter twice a day for 3 weeks. And no hay, only soaked hay cubes for 3 weeks as well. My mare has been on antibiotics (TMS and metronidazole) twice a day since then.

A sinus infection is not something to be conserative or play the 'wait and see' game, which is good that the vet is coming out for a dental exam and x-rays. I recommend getting to the bottom of it asap. It will save a lot of time and $$$ in the long run.
    Last edited by Karosel; Dec. 24, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

My horse got a snotty nostril after a trailer ride. At first it seemed like just a slight cold or something. It ended up being a lung infection and his legs blew up and he needed antibiotics for like 2 weeks or something.

no doubt the tooth fairy would be able to help
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Not to scare you but a sinus infection is not something to mess around with. I have dealt (am dealing) with it twice. I had an older mare who got one, had to have the surgery to drill into the sinus, and I was left to flush it every day for 2 months, twice daily injections, and smz's. Ended up costing me around 2k. Hers never smelled bad.

Fast forward, I just had to go through this with a new horse. We put him on SMZ's, and Gentocyn for 2 weeks. So far, his nostril has remained clear (minus a day or so when it made a reappearance). His absolutely REEKED. I am really hoping he stays clear, because its not really not something I want to deal with.

I hope you're able to get a firm diagnosis and an aggressive treatment in place. Even with aggressive measures, it is no guarantee that its "cured" and from what I've been told, the horse is more prone to them. I sure hope not!

like spacytracy, I also had to deal w/ sinus problem; started w/ a one sided nasal discharge; antibiotics cleared it up, then it came back; more antibiotics, came back. Never a smell. Ended up w/ the same "roto-router" sinus clearing surgery though I was lucky in that I did not have to do the after-treatments. Poor mare (gray/almost white) truly did look like Frankenstein with the big incision stitched up on her forehead. I was also "lucky" in that I was in and out of OSU for about $900.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    Likely a fractured molar leading to a sinus infection.

This. My friend's gelding had the sewer smelling mucus from one nostril, turned out to be a fractured molar and a whopping big sinus infection.
    Two trips to U of Ga. and he is fine now. Wasn't a cheap fix although they were able to rock the tooth out and do the hole in the head to the sinus with him standing so that helped.

The hole in the poor things head was about quarter sized an we were amazed at how quickly that filled in and disappeared.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Thank you everyone. Just for historical purposes, so this will be helpful in a future search, horse had jaw x-rayed. It is indeed a cracked tooth. The last one in the back, unfortunately! Xrays are being examined by vet/dentist today, for recommendation. Horse is not mine, so owner will make decisions.
    friend of bar.ka

Glad you found a dx. Good for you for helping the owner. My suggestion for the owner is really read up on how to best treat this. There are a couple of different methods, and the owner will surely want to do it the least $$$/best effective way possible.

With my horse, the hole had to stay open for 2 months, so I could flush the sinus daily with a betadine solution in a catheter. The hole wants to close quickly, so I had to manipulate it daily with my finger to keep it open.

My horse was also knocked completely out for the surgery, at the vet, followed by a 5 day hospital stay. So Im sure that contributed to my costs (total of $2000). I have heard many others say that their horses were done sedated and standing at their barn - which can make it more cost effective for sure!

Best of luck to the horse. When you first hear "sinus infection" its like oh, ok a cold. But its so much trickier with horses!!