The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dr. Who--I'm addicted

OK, it's YOUR fault. You started me on Netflix and Serenity and Torchwood--so wonderful yet, so few. So now it's Dr. Who. I started with Dr. none, Eggleston, and about into season 3 of Dr. ten, Tennent. I've been through all of Rose and her loss, and now am with Martha. SO many connections back and forth through shows and finding out people. The agony of seeing the lovely hotty Jack for awhile, and then he's gone.

It's so goofy and unrealistic at times, and sometimes so good.

I don't know what I have to say, but, HighFlyinBey, you have to speak. When I finish with the Tennent Dr., do I go back to the start of the series in the 60's or 70's? Is it worth it? Are they still making the series? Most importantly, where can I find hotty Jack again? My SO walked in when I was watching the one with the Dahleg and the pigmen, and I was TRYING to explain as he laughed his ass off. Just one Dahleg left--you just know it's going to turn up.

They are still making the series, I think the first season with Matt Smith has been released on DVD but not the second yet. Or actually, it probably has been by now, it's been awhile since I looked. I'd watch the whole new series, then go back and watch the originals. They can be kind of inaccessible for people who didn't grow up with them (I did, but that's what I've heard) so there are usually some recommended story arcs to begin with so you don't jump right into super camp and get scared away. But really, it's all good if you watch it with a sense of humor.

The whole first series isn't available on DVD, but there are a lot of them out and the BBC periodically releases new ones. Though unless I'm forgetting something major, I don't think Jack has made a reappearance since Tennant left. HighFlyinBey will probably jump in here and correct me though, that's usually how these threads go.

And the Daleks will never go away totally I think, they're kind of the iconic Doctor Who monster.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    And the Daleks will never go away totally I think, they're kind of the iconic Doctor Who monster.
    The Sirulians, Autons and Cybermen also never go away.

Do try to get the whole series - William Hartnell's series is out as is Jon Pertwee's and Tom Baker. I believe Patrick Troughton (second doctor) was recently released as well. Also, if you can find The Five Doctors, do get it as it has Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker and Davison.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Oh, I know I have a problem. I know what you're talking about now! I just hope there's an OT day when I run out of the newer ones so I can deal with the withdrawel. Tennet is gone! I'm having trouble dealing with all of these changes. I want my peeps back. I think I still have awhile with him.

There are a LOT of references to things that do make it confusing, but that's what's intriguing. It kind of keeps you hooked. I just watched the one where Diane/Dana--the loudmouthed redheaded bride was involved and declined to go with the Dr. She was on a later one that I can't remember, maybe Torchwood. It's all so confusing, and tied in. Sigh.

Hm. Don't tell me, but one Dalek left. How many more episodes can we have them in? The last one they tried to mutate, and that didn't work. I think they're actually one of the cheesiest threads of the series--super beings in giant, clumsy metal blobs don't seem to be universe rulers.

The Daleks never die - trust me, they have been exterminated a few times only to come back. To really appreciate Daleks, you MUST see the first incarnation.

Not sure which this is but it is early: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-3mKA6q-8c

also note the difference in music, it was changed somewhat for every doctor. This clip is the second doctor, Patrick Troughton. Evil of the Daleks

Absolutely watch them all!! Just remember what technology was available at the time and giggle. I think you can see most of them through Amazon's video streaming.

Also search YouTube for the "Children in Need" specials. Some of them are part of the continuity, such as what happens with Rose in the first few minutes after the Tenth regenerates.

Not all of the first 2 Doctors are available. BBC didn't store the episodes very well and even recorded over some of them. Obviously they didn't realize what they'd created.

Donna is the runaway bride

I'm SO annoyed with the NFL. Two years in a row they've scheduled my Packers on Christmas night. They are the ONLY thing that ever trumps watching the Doctor live so I won't know what happens. Unless I read the spoilers. Which I will.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Christmas special tomorrow and it looks awesome!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yay, I love Dr. Who, although I will confess to getting attached to a doctor and being sulky when they change.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Ok, here we go, right from The Daleks (1963, William Hartnell) right to Victory of the Daleks (2010, Matt Smith)

The progression in appearance is shown and regardless, they still look like pepper pots.

Silly me, forgot the link: http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/dalek/episodes/

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    Yay, I love Dr. Who, although I will confess to getting attached to a doctor and being sulky when they change.
    It took me ages to get used to Tom Baker after the Pertwee years.......Pertwee is still my favourite doctor

All I want for Chirstmas is a TARDIS.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Christmas special tomorrow and it looks awesome!
    we'll be watching!

You can get episodes on audio, too! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...audio_releases
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

My husband is totally addicteda and I must confess I really like it as well..Watch all of them..they each have something different to offer...

For those of us Whovians in Canada, there is a marathon on Space Channel - 528 Shaw Direct, otherwise check local listings. Starts at 6AM Central, for other time zones, ya gotta sort it yourself!!!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I don't think Jack has made a reappearance since Tennant left.
    No, he hasn't With all of the focus on Torchwood, I doubt he will (not to mention his return to West End).

I just finished season six, thanks to the family I'm house sitting for. Their daughter loves Doctor Who, so she practically collects the DVD's. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Wait, wait, wait. What do you mean return to West End? How do I find hottie Jack? Do you think they'll ever start up Torchwood again? Well, start over with a new cast? I saw that first and couldn't BELIEVE they just KILLED everyone. I guess I'm getting used to the dumping the cast and starting over thing now.

I just watched two more--yes, I'm an addict. The Dr. and Martha in 1913 and the Blood Family trying to get him with the scarecrows. Not liking the attitude of it and how he treats Martha.

You've got to get Netflix--no need for DVD's, and you can find all the great series. $8 a month s good for me. My SO made me watch American Horror Story the other night, so 1 down, the rest of the season to go. Gee--I WONDER why it's so popular--Mr. Hottie with killer bod walking around naked in most of the episode!

Oh my! I've just been giving myself a present and watched the cool one with the angel statues, and then saw a preview with hottie Jack! So I had to watch Utopia! SO much to learn. NOW I know why Jack can't die. NOW I know the hand is the Dr's and he carries it with him. And the FACE of Om or whatever is right, the Dr. is not the last timelord, so the Master is back. I'll restrain myself.

Ahh. Jack!

OK Whovians. I am not letting this die. HighFlyingBey--where are you?

Since I didn't really do Xmas and nothing was on tv, I watched like eight episodes yesterday. Martha is gone, Dianne is back, got the Master, he's dead. I got to see hunky Jack and how he gets to Cardiff. But, but, but--HE'S the face of BO? Could it be?

I'm on season 4 episode 5 or something. What is the current season and episode before I catch up to where it is now? The I guess I need to go back to the beginning in the 60's.

I happened to catch an episode called Voyage of the Damned which I had missed. While watching, I realised I missed an episode with a marvelous cast - Gray O'Brien (Tony Gordon, Coronation Street), Clive Switt (poor beleagured Richard Bucket, Keeping Up Appearances), Geoffrey Palmer (As Time Goes By, Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, and a good run with The Third Doctor), Kylie Minogue.

I am still finding Matt Smith as lacklustre a Doctor as was Slyester McCoy. I just cannot get interested in his portrayal, the only reason I watch when I remember is Alex Kingston's portrayal of River Song.

That's one of the ones I saw yesterday, with the new Titanic. It shows where some of the old guy characters came from.

So, I'm guessing the newer Dr's are not so good. I like Tennet, though he is very skinny, but at times the character seems way out of wack.