The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree help *LINK ADDED*

I have come across an opportunity to get a 2002 TB mare as a riding prospect/broodmare. She is everything I want conformation and temperament wise but I was curious about her breeding. I have been out of the TB racing world so long that I haven't really kept up. Her registered name is Racing Tiger & she is out of a Valid Appeal mare. Any info on her breeding would be great. I am really thinking about giving myself a Christmas Present !

Sorry I forgot to add the link to her Pedigree http://www.pedigreequery.com/racing+tiger
    Last edited by cripplecreekfrm; Dec. 24, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Well, I've heard people say on here they like In Reality for sport breeding....

I LOVE this mares pedigree for sport/sporthorse broodmare potential. In reality is high on my list, but the biggest thing about her pedigree that I love is the fourth dam, Sister Shannon. She is the Dam of a mare named Populi, who is the Dan of champion Vanlandingham. My former Advanced event horse, Northlight (JC: Diamondham) is by Vanlandingham, and was Insanely talented, has an incredibly good temperament, and was an amazing classic format type event horse. He could gallop all day long, and was brave. He would do anything I asked of him, and was smart enough to get us out of trouble if I screwed up a line or distance. In my opinion, he was the ultimate classic format event horse. We have several sporthorse/race broodmares by Vanlandingham now, and they all posses the same traits that Diamond did. The fact that this mare is out of the female family of Vanlandingham is a big bonus for me!

I also like Tiger Ridge quite a lot, and very much appreciate the line
    Breeding to Secretariat through Weekend Surprise. If the mare is sound of body and mind, I wouldn't hesitate to pick her up!
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

I like her pedigree too - the Buckpasser line is pretty handy as well. USUALLY have decent temperments.

Well she came home last night and I must say that I am impressed by her. My horsey neighborhood has a X-mas tradition that those of us that don't have children (and some that do) get together and do a very mild trail ride in the area (we are very lucky to have 400+ acres of trails to ride as long as they aren't hunting). This morning I decided to take her. I tacked her up, mounted and off we went to meet everyone.

She is very green (I don't think that he has done much since retiring from racing) but she was quiet and willing to try. We went through mud across trees and even spent some time on the side of the road and nothing seemed to phase her. She is clean legged and has pretty good conformation. I have always liked to see Valid Appeal in the dam line but I wasn't sure if It was just because of the mares I knew were exceptions or it was something else. This mare has a wonderful mind and a very willing attitude. I will see how she does and then maybe breed her next year after we have had some fun.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Merry Christmas!

Default Your new horse

Hi, I just became a member to the Cronicle Forums and stumbled across your December post about your new horse and it's pedigree help. I was compelled to contact you as I have a mare Valid Tiger. I don't know much about breeding and pedigree's but enough to know they must be closely related. Valid Tiger's pedigree is pretty impressive too if you want to look up hers to see how your mare and mine are related. My Friend is a Jockey at Suffolks Downs and has Tiger like...Valley's (Valid Tiger) sister. My girl is stunning and im sure your going to love yours too but I have run into medical and confirmation issues with Valley as she was recently diagnosed with Kissing spine. Our vet thinks that she will be fine to breed but I don't know if I want to chance it anymore. I really wanted to let her have one baby and maybe be able to use it for riding but need to do more questioning about the possibilities. I Would enjoy hearing from you about your new horse and share what I have found with Valley's part of the line.
    Last edited by wkjp2; Feb. 25, 2012 at 08:39 AM.