The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tattoo makeup? Anyone try it?

Has anyone ever tried Tattoo makeup?
    (Primarily "Lipstick")?

I always wear lipstick, even to the barn... Feel washed out without it on.
    Have always been allergic to it and have used Clinique for years with success.

Lately, they have been changing their formulas and I'm sick of spending $15.00 for a tube only to find out something has changed. I called the Company Client Service hotline and they verified it.
    Feels like burned or chapped lips after wearing it for a few days.

I'm scared to try a permanent lipstick tattoo as I haven't heard much about it since it came out years ago.
    But it is tempting!

How nice would it be to put on a little clear lip gloss and be done with it?

Anyone ever tried it? Stories, opinions?

Thanks!

Wow, may I suggest some shades of gray to your black or white decision? There are thousands of brands of makeup in the world, why not try some others first? Go to Whole Foods or any other health food store and look for organic ones. Go to Sephora and try one of their fantastic makeup samplers.

Personally, I find the lip/eyebrow/eyeliner tattoo idea trashy. Not to mention that I like to play around with makeup and not be stuck to one look!

Bert's bees makes lip color. They have really pretty shades and I am pretty sure it is very similar to their Chapstick. That may be something to try?
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Wow, may I suggest some shades of gray to your black or white decision? There are thousands of brands of makeup in the world, why not try some others first? Go to Whole Foods or any other health food store and look for organic ones. Go to Sephora and try one of their fantastic makeup samplers.

Personally, I find the lip/eyebrow/eyeliner tattoo idea trashy. Not to mention that I like to play around with makeup and not be stuck to one look!
    No... I would never do eyes... Just lipstick.

The cheaper store brands that are non-allergenic never seem to stay on for longer than 15 minutes.

I love Clinique, but they change their formula's.

Are there more stores/brands that have samples without buying first?

I'm not a "Mall" person and really don't know of the other brands, such as Sephora. But certainly would go if they have small samples that would last for a week.

Not just the samples you would put on to try a new color for.
    I need to wear something for several days to see if I'm allergic to it. AND that it stays on.

A friend is a small animal vet and works the regular clinic and also some overnight shifts on the emergency clinic.
    She is on call and doesn't has time for makeup.
    She went the tattoo route and loves it.
    I can't tell any difference, she always looks nice anyway.
    It will fade in time, so you can change your look later, if you don't like it any more.

I am very allergic to any makeup, so bad, the Dr told me to forget makeup.
    When Clinique came out years ago, the Dr's office called me to come by to try it.
    They ran tests and I was allergic to that too.
    The Dr said, why try to wear any makeup, if you are so allergic to it, so I don't.

Did you think that you may be allergic to the tattoo also?

More power to you if it'll make your life easier. I'm currently in love with lip stain, since it seems like nothing will ever take it off. And my husband enjoys being able to kiss me without the goopy feeling of gloss and without getting lipstick all over his lips. I don't personally know anyone that's done it, but if you are really that attached to lipstick, it seems like a time- and cost-saver.

I don't think its a bad thing as long as it's tastefully done. I've seen both trashy and nice looking tattoo make up.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I want to have my eyebrows done, but I'm a huge chicken.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Co-worker had eyeliner tattoo! She got it done free in exchange for them filming it for advertising.
    It looked good on her, but she had black hair to match it. She also had other tattoos so it wasn't a stretch for her.
    I could not tell it was a tattoo.
    BUT, every time I think of tattoos all I can envision is what will it look like when their skin sags with age and the nice clean line looks like someone dragged an eraser over it. On the other hand they can be removed these days.

Go to www.makeupalley.com and sign onto the makeup board. The girls there are FANTASTIC. I love that board. There are thousands of options for you.

Oh another thing. You could try Chanel Dragon. It is more of a stain that lasts all day. It might not bother you if you only need to apply once. What brands have you tried? There are some SUPER high end brands that have really premium ingredients that might work. Clinique is known for being really wicked harsh stuff so I am surprised. Some people get chemical burns from their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Did you think that you may be allergic to the tattoo also?
    I've heard that can happen... That is why I have been researching this forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    I want to have my eyebrows done, but I'm a huge chicken.
    Chicken here also...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Oh another thing. You could try Chanel Dragon. It is more of a stain that lasts all day. It might not bother you if you only need to apply once. What brands have you tried? There are some SUPER high end brands that have really premium ingredients that might work. Clinique is known for being really wicked harsh stuff so I am surprised. Some people get chemical burns from their products.

I've been using Clinique for years without problems and I'm very sensitive to lipstick.
    Seems when they change their formula that is when the problems appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Decades ago, Clinique came out with one of the first "hypoallergenic" lines of products.

If you have contact dermatitis, I would have the tattoo person try a small area first, where it won't matter, not your face.

I had gallbladder surgery and had a wild reaction to some disinfectant they used on my belly.
    The Dr was alarmed, but it went away eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I've heard that can happen...

Chicken here also...lol
    Don't be chicken, you guys! I've had my eyebrows done, because I have alopecia (which means I don't have any eyebrows). They put anasthetic cream on beforehand and it does not feel bad at all.

But definitely check out the person doing the work. As another poster said, it can look tasteful or trashy. The technicians usually have tattoo makeup themselves, see what style they favor.

I adore my eyebrows. Before I had them done I had to paint them on with makeup and then worry about them getting smeared or something. Now I never think about it. They do fade, and I have to have them redone every couple of years.

As I recall, the first time I went they did a little patch test on my arm to make sure I wasn't allergic. I have some freckles on my arm, so it looks like one of them. I could not find it today if I tried.

The other thing that gave me comfort is the woman that does mine is a nurse, so well versed in hygenic practices.

I say go for it

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Go ahead!
    A friend's Mom had her lips done (she was near 70 when she did it) & she looked very nice - soft pink color.

I've considered it as I have yet to find any lipstick/gloss/stain that stays on me more than 2 minutes.
    But lately I've pretty much stopped using makeup at all, so why bother.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My friend had eyeliner tattooed when she was in the UAE (LONG story) at a place where many of her friends had been tattooed with good results. Then she got on an 18 hour flight to the US. When she landed her eyes were so swelled shut she could barely see. Then she got to spend the first three days at home at the DR every day.

Based on that, I'd stay FAR way from the eyeliner and DEFINITELY not travel right after it was done. I'm sure it looks good now, but last time I saw her she was really suffering.