The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, who got a Kindle FIRE?

I'm interested but want to wait for ver 2 with a bigger screen
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I do! My husband gave it to me for my birthday. So far I love it, mostly because I don't have to hold the thing: I put it in its cover, prop it on my knee --> hands free reading! The screen is plenty big for me. The thing itself is heavier than I thought it would be. But it definitely beats having to lug books around when traveling.
    I am disappointed by Amazon's Premium membership which only allows you to borrow books ONCE a month. I read at least 2 books a month.
    I hope eBooks will be easier to borrow in the near future. My local library has a very short list of ebooks, unfortunately.
    all in all, I like the Kindle Fire, but then this is my first ereader so I really don't know how it compares to others (Nook etc.).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I hope eBooks will be easier to borrow in the near future. My local library has a very short list of ebooks, unfortunately.
    If you have not called your library to suggest that you're interested in more eBooks, please do. A lot of smaller library systems don't realize that they've got interested eReader-owning patrons. In the big cities where eReaders are king among the commuting literati, like Washington DC or Raleigh-Durham, the libraries have massive collections of eBooks.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    If you have not called your library to suggest that you're interested in more eBooks, please do. A lot of smaller library systems don't realize that they've got interested eReader-owning patrons. In the big cities where eReaders are king among the commuting literati, like Washington DC or Raleigh-Durham, the libraries have massive collections of eBooks.
    This.

I'm lucky to be in a library system with a massive collection of eBooks to check out and it is seriously heavenly!

Thumbs up

Got one for my Birthday - love it for surfing the net and watching movies in bed
    Have read a couple of books on it, but still prefer a good ol' paperback.
    There are TONS of free books on Amazon, or the Guggenheim library.

I'll have a talk with my librarians. I have a feeling there is a whole mine there that I haven't been able / known how to tap yet

I know Amazon has a lot of free books - just not those I'm interested in reading!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I gave myself one for my birthday/Christmas, and I have really enjoyed it. Still do my hardcore reading on my Kindle Keyboard, but I surf the net, do email, read magazines and watch movies on the Fire. I do read on it in the dark instead of dragging my booklight out for the KK, but the backlog screen does get tiring after a long stint of reading. For me, it is the perfect compliment to my KK, and enough tablet tor now.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

My brother. Well, about to get one.

I'm really enjoying mine. Although I wish the Prime membership had better selections. Discovered it can play music at the same time that I read a book on it. Am spending too much money catching up on missed TV shows but the sound and picture is terrific.
    Last edited by Horsepower; Dec. 24, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My husband bought one last week, he is test driving it, and let us play to see if we would like it. For all the frantic typing I do on various sites, it might not work as well as a laptop, and my one-year old Kindle is just fine for reading.

Our other issue is slow internet out here in the boonies, so using it for movies or Youtube is a pain in the behind.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Can you use a headset with it?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Can you use a headset with it?
    Yes.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I just got one today...

I just got mine today and am loving it. DH got new Motorola XZoom which I hated and we returned it. This fire is much cheaper and I can COTH and read or watch stuff. Awesome!!!

I got one as an early Christmas gift about 10 days ago, and I am seriously digging it. I never thought I would ever want an e-reader. But I was wrong. I am a compulsive reader and have already finished 2 books and am on my third.

The best part is that I have finally gotten to read "Barn Politics"! And it only took 10 seconds to download into my Kindle.

I got a leather cover for it, and it is very similar to holding a paperback book. And I just typed this post on my Kindle.
    Sheilah

I've had mine for about 2 weeks and I love it. I have a regular Kindle too (base model/5-way controller) which I use for major reading. The Kindle has been mostly used for light web browsing and watching lots and lots of streaming video, so far, both by me and my daughter.

I like the size, picture clarity, and ease of use. I don't love typing on the touch screen - I'm a very fast touch typist and get really frustrated at being slowed down that much (waaah!). For the price, though, it's been just fine. Lots of fun, and gives our family an additional entertainment option. Also, I get it now, about Angry Birds

just started playing with mine

Ugh - I hate these "every year" updated versions of the same thing.

Last Christmas, hubby & I accidentally bought each other the newest "Kindles", so we have no plans to spend more $$ on what will most likely be obsolete next year.

Happy with what we have.

I got a kindle fire for xmas. While I'm able to access the keyboard to post on this forum I'm unable to access it on another forum. Has anyone else had this problem? What do I do to fix this?