The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Parents, tell us about your (human) children

I often find I am in the horseworld minority (at least around here) as I have small children. So, parents of kids of all ages--whatcha got?

I have two little boys, ages 5 and 2. This means my house is in a constant state of chaos: crushed Cheerios, hidden bits of cheese and banana, various vehicles (and vehicle parts) sprinkled throughout the rooms, and scattered small Lego pieces. It also means we have put off refinishing the wood under the stained-beyond-recognition carpet as 1) the boys need the extra padding, and 2) we have learned better than to spend good money on remodeling, particularly the floors. When the boys are 8 and 5, then maybe we can try it. Heh.

The 5yro is my HIGH energy, HIGH drama little boy. His little brother is lower key and quieter--but requires more supervision. Whereas the 5yro has always been cautious about new places and equipment and such, choosing to sit back and study before beginning to play in a new area or on new equipment, the 2yro dives RIGHT in. This is true whether it's playground equipment, or a ladder left in the backyard, or my horse trailer...

This thread is useless without pics, right?
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DD will be 9 in March. She just got her new horse, with some help from Cowboymom. She is a competitive figure skater, and plays basketball! She is my supersmart, super sensitive, super fun drama queen. I pulled her out of our sub par public school, and now drive 100 miles a day, 4 days a week for her to go to schoolat a small Christian school, where she is flourishing.

DS is 2 1/2! All boy! Very happy to play at our dairy with trucks, tractors etc, or help dad drive equipment. Loves Thomas the Tank Engine and John Deere. Very happy to just make messes all day.

Both are very cuddly, but I went the attachment parenting method with both. Bedsharing, nurse on demand etc. They love to climb up and be read to, or DD will read to DS. Fortunately, we have a recliner that can hold all of us!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I have awesome kids, IMO. We're a very horsey family and the kids are a huge part of it. They have kept up with us every step of the way.

My son is 14, freakishly smart, kind, stubborn, self-assured, wicked funny, a good friend, fair-minded. He likes to think he's one of a small group of teen boys that hears "Get off your Xbox and go milk the cow!" on a regular basis! He's a good athletic rider with his spotted buddy, they can do just about anything together and make an excellent team. He has a steady calming hand with horses and they naturally trust him. He's a history buff and loves cats, his MP3 has Metallica and CW McCall on it.

My daughter is 11 and is my mini-me with an improved attitude which she got from her dad. She's happy, helpful, positive, social, artistic, musical, sensitive, has a magical touch with animals and is an excellent little rider. Loves cooking, photography, writing, and has posters of Zenyatta all over her walls and has no clue who Justin Beiber is. Her MP3 is loaded with Johnny Cash and not much else.

Both kids have been riding with us since they were babies, been around the horses in some way all their lives. We ride in the mountains all summer so they're both capable in the outdoors. Both can throw a diamond on that little pony. My girl definitely got bitten by the horse bug and my son has enough of it that he really enjoys riding and the horses and both love the outdoors.

I've homeschooled them for all but their first couple years of school so that puts a little twist in them too, they're responsible and independent beyond their years and march to their own beats. and we're a pretty tight little family, we make a good team.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...le4/7-18-2011/

Rustbreeches I'm glad that worked out with that mare! I bet your daughter is thrilled!

LR beautiful kids!

I have 2...a 9 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter. They are polar opposites. My daughter is a bundle of energy - I mean HIGH energy. She owns the room when she walks into it, is assertive, confident....sigh...wish I had it, but she does - that is for SURE. She is over-enthusiastic at times and that's hard to tame into an "appropriate" level at school and social functions, but she genuinely is THAT excited about things. She is also compassionate and the "Mom" in her class. She loves horses and has been taking lessons for almost a year now.

My son is 9. He is very bright, musical and had a hard road as a toddler and young child with motor disorders, stereotypies (involuntary muscle movements) and fine and gross motor delays. He worked out of most of it by age 5-6, but still gets the twitchy hands and arms at times. We hope he'll outgrow it. He is super polite and sweet, and has my sense of humor (Dry, sarcastic and he just "gets things") He loves typical boy stuff - football, soccer, Lego's, and has a keen interest in history (like his Dad). He could spend the whole day visiting places like Gettysburg or a battlefield and be thrilled. He loves horses and ALL animals, and touched me recently when we opened his first bank account, asking if he could donate his $50 to Golden Retriever Rescue. (we have 3 rescue dogs - one is a Golden, and had another Golden who passed away last yead) I was so touched when he asked. I can't ask for much more than that!!

I have two 11 and 14 just like cowboymom, except my daughter is 14 and my son is 11.

Daughter is a reader and has wanted to be a paleontologist since she could toddle about the house-I find children who know what they want to be in life at such an early age eerie. She is smart, very mature emotionally-she reminds me how to behave with my friends at times. She rides and draws, she is self taught with photoshop and infact has taught her graphics teacher some photoshop skills. She is still a kid and wants to remain a kid, no dating, make up or clothes shopping just yet.

Son plays ice hockey and is the sweetest most sensitive little boy. Loves his 23 year old kitty that cries for him every morning on the couch. He cried all night when I explained what happens to unwanted cats and dogs at shelters. He has a sharp memory for everything he is interested in not so for everything else. He took over his kindergarten class from the teacher and was sent to the principle's office when he was 5. In 4th grade he gave a 3 minute presentation on a US explorer-only problem was that he made it all up on the spot but we were told that all of his classmates voted that his was the best presentation made. My grey hair is because of him.

Kids are the best, I love mine and neither of them are even close in personality to me or my husband. They are simply these people who have come to stay with us and be a part of lives and I am gratefull.

I have just turned 9 yr old boy/girl twins... as different as night and day. DD is obviously the rider, but she's also quite the roller skater and loves art and drawing. her ideal job, other than to ride as a professional or train, is to be an art teacher. She's very mature, has been speaking in full sentances to adults since she was about 1

DS is all about baseball, football and basketball, just like his dad. He hates coming to the barn so that's a constant battle. he's freakishly smart, wants to be an architect when he grows up. He'll spend hourings drawing buildings. Every now and then he wants to get on a pony but he hates trotting - too bouncy

I'm not a "kid person" so to speak, I do not go gaga over babies and other people's kids, but my guys are literally the light of my life. I don't know what I'll do when they leave me

My son:
    http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/48...425x425Q85.jpg

and my daughter:
    http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/45...425x425Q85.jpg

LOl I just found these pics from 4 yrs ago... oh they were so cute!
    http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/46...425x425Q85.jpg

So nice to read about everyones kids! I hope more people will join in

Mine are almost 12 (born on New Years Day 2000) and 8.

My son, the new years baby, is champagne blond to match his birthday and big blue eyes. He is going to be quite the ladykiller but luckily, could care less now. He is very athletic and snow boards, plays soccer, mountain bikes and hikes. He is a super sweet, fun kid who was a royal PITA baby so I am thrilled he turned out so lovely! He is gifted in languages and also writes prolifically. He wants to be a dentist so he can have lots of vacation and party like a rockstar

LMEqT is COTHs baby girl. I first posted here when I was pregnant with her, she is eight now. She is the rider and her adventures have been well documented here what people dont know about her is that she is deep down deliciously sweet. She is dark haired and cafe au lait skin with chocolate brown eyes and ridiculously beautiful inside and out. She wants to be a writer and a serious ammy rider when she grows up. She has a definitive sense of style and is an avid thrift shop shopper so she can afford to have a huge wardrobe. When LMEqT hugs you, you feel fortunate

The thing I think is most remarkable about my kids is their kindness to others and their lack of desire to grow up quickly.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My 'kids' are young women. The eldest is 26, married, and expecting my FIRST GRANDBABY YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I had my girls 7 years apart, so I essentially ended up with TWO only children. NEVER ever do this.

First child was a blessed surprise--I totally thought I wasn't able to get pregnant (thanks to the Dalcon Shield IUD) so she was born when I was 32. Hubby and I doted on her, raised her exactly like a wee, female 'Alex Keeton'. She was so pretty as a child old ladies used to stop us to say hello. She was taller than me by age 9 (5'5") and so beautiful men LOOKED AT HER. I really hated that!

She excels in sports, tested 99% on her 8th grade and 10th grade scholastic blabla, took the Math Quiz and Scholastic Quiz top honors across the board as a senior. She is outgoing, hard-working. Tall and thin, as is her father. And hell on wheels when crossed, with a short temper, wicked tongue and no govenor on her backlash at ALL. She dresses 'classic' and wears heels, loves ALL music with an excellent grounding in 60s-70s-80s Rock, drank like a fish before she fell pregant (maybe that lifestyle is OVER) and gave up smoking cold-turkey before she got pregnant to save money. She makes friends and KEEPS them, still gets together with some who were in her original BROWNIE TROOP.

I never wished to have another child as I was afraid I would not be able to love another human being nearly as much as I did/do her. I would give my life for her.

First daughter's father and I divorced when she was 3 years, I married a man who, like me, was in the Air Force. I fell pregnant a year after I married him, despite the fact I had MOVED BACK HOME, because I couldn't stand being put down because of my chronic depression. He guilted me into sex, then spiked the birth control.

Fun times. Not a nice guy.

Daughter Youngest was born into a totally topsy-turvy world, her mother and sister living in near poverty, her father withholding support, blah blah. Needless to say, he said lots of things, but Nebraska state and the Air Force called the shots.

I loved her immediately, lived every minute to hold her. She was a huge baby. She suffered 'colic' as a newborn, which our pediatritian said was caused by an 'immature' nervous system, and that she screamed for 4 hours nightly as a way to 'discharge'. For 3 months solid we went through this.

Even as a baby she was quirky...she hated her feet touched, didn't like loud people, was not a 'smiley' baby. I have NO baby pictures of this child smiling, as she refused. Unlike my first, she had little interest in my reading to her every night before bed. Because of a chronic high-gag reflex, she was breastfed past the age of 2 to insure my picky-eater was well nourished.

Every milestone was gained by hard, continuous trial and error on her part. She preferred to investigate new things and skills herself rather than be shown anything. She tested as 'profoundly developmentally retarded' in pre-kindergarten because she REFUSED to draw the 'straight line' between objects on the test, and circled the objects she liked instead of those the tester asked. Erynn at 3 was a force of nature, not much for 'instruction'. Subsequent testing was much more accurate.

She was not a student...ever...because if it didn't interest her, she would just tune out. We tried counseling. We had her tested for ADHD, for which she tested positive. She refused to take the meds. I tried every threat, incentive and motivation put forth by those 'wiser' in child raising than me...and it didn't work. She scraped by in school, taking most of high school through a computer system offered for 'non-traditional' students. She graduated, I was happy!

She's had one job, working in a deli, and was a dedicated worker who had excellent attendance, self-motivated, a hard worker. She was fired because she had her bottom lip and nose pierced, and dyed her hair pink, blue and purple, all in one two- days off period. Hmm....She will be going out to apply for a job right after New Years, or she will have her internet cut off.

Which would be a tragedy (for her) because she is a high-level WOW player. She traveled to Maryland in November to meet her other 'guild' members--mostly geeky young men, staying with the parents of one of them. She's nearly 20...I could not forbid her to go, any more than I have control of her hair color, or where she puts holes in her face.

She and my hubby--who is hubby ONE who I remarried and 1st daughter's dad--have been close since she was 9 months old. She demanded he pick her up--a first as she was definately a 'touch-me-not' with everybody else! He sat her on his knee, and she inspected him thoroughly and obviously approved. They have been thick since.

She hates the smell of cigarettes, drinks a bit of wine on her birthday, usually with her big sister, but eschews otherwise. She saves money, has ONE girlfriend with whom she goes to the movies, does Dance Party 3 on the Wii, and they go mall walking together. She has a boyfriend who lives out of state (good!).

Although not a PollyAnna, she is sweet tempered, kind, but spoiled rotten.

Altogether she is the absolute antithesis of her big sister. I love her so much. I would kill for her--die for her.

http://m778.photobucket.com/albums/keepthelegend/Maple/

I actually just had my first baby on the 7th!

Have 2, a very quite 23 year old son, who is pursuing his Masters degree in fine arts, getting straight A's while doing so, has some prospects for work (art is mostly freelance) from recommendations from his professors. Was a decent student in primary school, never has given us a moments trouble, he is quietly rebellious in his way, after 13 years of a Christian school with dress codes and hair codes he has long hair, beard, never wears anything but graphic Tshirts and cargo pants, but is a good person, with a good moral compass.

DD is, 19, the "golden" child type, beautiful, smart(valedictorian) does well in her horsey pursuits, sophmore in college majoring in communications/journalism, minor in German. The type that every thing seems to come easy for, what most people don't see is how she pushes herself to succeed. Natual leadership qualities, can't wait to see what her future holds.

Counldn't be more proud of both of them.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

IF Jr. just turned 18. How did that happen? He is taller than both is parents. How did that happen?

He is graduating from high school this year and will go on to local community college. He has some learning disabilities so this is a great choice for him to transition into a regular 4 year school.

IF Jr doesn't ride, but he is my navigator when driving. He's quite good. He's also good on the ground helping with horses, which is a godsend when you have 21 of them on the farm. He's kind to animals and is the one who can coax a half feral barn cat to domesticity.

He's a good kid. He wants a girlfriend. I just hope he gets one who likes horses!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I was blessed to have 2 girls. I was also blessed to end up a single parent when the 2nd was soon to be born. (thats a whole another thread topic!) They are now 23/20 -- I couldnt be more proud of each of them.

I homeschooled; as each girl showed their best method of learning was in an independent environment that public school would have certainly inhibited. They each graduated at 16yrs with a HSD's/honors.
    They also spend a lot of time in the saddle training ponies for others when they were little, and contimued their businesses as they grew. Raised puppies too, so were well comfortable as promoters and marketing of their own skills and businesses.
    Foxhunting, showing, eventing, western, ctr's -- experienced it all! but fell in love with the track 7yrs ago.

Since, one is working on an asst trainers lic, the other owns 3 of her own racehorses. Both gallop, and can jump in on any other job needed, keeping them in high demand at all times
    They both make good money, manage good money too. Most of that is due to their good work ethics, yes, they are hard workers....like kids used to be coming from the family farm.

They are able to maintain good relationships which I credit to their business sense of whats needed in any relationship..first, no crap! During the homeschool years, tv shows included Jerry Springer>so they could identify an idiot on sight and Judge Judy>so they knew what to do when they'd encounter one ! I KNOW both those shows had a positive impact on their current evaluations of friends, situations, and handling difficulties.!

Education for them included all the medical skills that have them set up with the basic knowledge to apply for 2-yr RN programs, EMT's, any vet program should they ever need/want to change careers.
    For today, they live the dream jobs and I couldnt be happier
    I'm there as the working retired, also living my dream job. I just love my days legging up my daughters on a horse I care for that she trains.

In our spare time? Well, we enjoy many other sports -- fly fishing, swimming, kayaking/sailing, both learned wilderness survival skills, distance riding, hiking (the AT especially)!~ and can mud up a truck, or spin a 4-wheeler with the best of the boys

Life is what you make of it.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

My son Andrew, will be 24 on Dec. 27. He graduated from college last year and works in Atlanta as a Civil Engineer. He just bought a house with his girlfriend. Never got into horses, he played soccer.
    Jen, is 22 and finishing her senior year at USF as a Civil Engineer. She, like me, was born with horses in her blood. Has a 21 year old TB mare who was given to her when her pony died when she was 13. Imp was a former advanced level eventer. She taught Jen how to event. They were successful at training level, were ready to go prelim and their first 1 star when we had to retire her. Jen rides her on weekends when she comes home from school. A new eventer will be in her picture when she graduates in the spring.
    Amanda, 19, is my handful. She rode for a few years, but never really got into it like Jen and resents that I am so passionate about horses. She is a freshman in college. She reminds me of myself as a teenager, so I hope there is hope for her and that she looses the attitude!

OP, my kids are a similar age gap and similar in personality too!

My DD is 5, and we adopted her when she was 1.5 days old. She is one of the most intense, amazing kids I've ever met. Her motto in life should be Go Big or Go Home. She does everything in a HUGE way. There is no in between with her, ever. She's insanely bright, a total perfectionist, and if she puts her mind to something, she WILL get it done. She wanted to learn to cartwheel-- my dad taught her this summer. She then spent 3 days, 12 hours a day, in the backyard perfecting it. I wish I had her drive, and passion for life. She will be president one day, I am sure of it.

My son is 20 months now. He was the "surprise!" baby, and now that we have him I can't imagine life without him. He was a very needy, fussy infant, but has blossomed into a mellow, sweet, gentle little soul. He always has a smile on his face, and just has this easy breezy personality. He has a real passion for animals, already. He adores our dog and spends hours playing with her. He's a *total* Mama's Boy and I have to admit, I like it.

They are complete and total opposites, in personality and looks. DD is African American and has the most gorgeous, flawless skin and this amazingly thick, curly hair. DS is blonde, blue-eyed and so pale he might as well be transparent!

The best part about my kids is the way they interact with each other. They get along famously. DD believes it is her mission in life to protect her baby brother. They are best friends, and I hope they always stay that way.

We are so blessed to have them, they have changed the way I look at the world and live my life, for the better.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Fun thread! I love reading all your stories.

I have 2 girls, mostly because my husband really wanted kids. He has 4 siblings, so he would have loved a big family. Me, I would have been fine with no kids, but such is life. Now that I have them tho, I love my daughters!

The oldest is 19, beautiful, A-student, started college this year, journalism/linguistics/Spanish. Like her sister she was raised to be bilingual in French/English. She is very social, has a nice group of friends, loves team sports (played soccer all through high school), has a lovely voice, gave up the piano and flute (no time) but was gifted there, too. She's always been very independent, but still cares about what others think of her, opinionated (during her teenage years, almost every dinner ended in a screaming match between her and her dad who is just like her and loves to have the last word!), organized and responsible - I never had to tell her to do her homework or help her in any way all through her school years. She loves kids. She would have been a good rider if she had shown any interest in that...she's a natural on horseback.

Youngest daughter is 15 and going through her "moody teenager " phase, but she's not as bad as her older sister was, lol. She is a lot more quiet, not sharing her feelings too much. She loves snowboarding, is a straight A student without much effort at all, used to love riding but has switched interests now (but will still ride with me if I ask her). She is much more similar to me in personality. She always was the tomboy growing up, in the way she dressed, her favorite activities, etc. She loves to read, doesn't mind being alone, loves animals and outdoor activities. She's an artist, loves painting and drawing and arts and crafts. She loves baking, too. Says she hates young kids. lol

Both daughters were raised to be independent, and from an early age they knew how to cook, do the laundry, etc. , which amazes all her friends. My friends tell me I am just the opposite of the "helicopter parent"...maybe too much so, but so far, so good for my kids!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Sigh....

My two adult daughters really do not get along at all. Hate is too strong a word, but it is close.

I have two boys, one 13 and one 15. The youngest is 6'1"! I guess everything IS bigger in TX! The older one is 5'9". At 5'7", I'm the shortest person in my family!!

They are VERY different--the oldest is very outgoing, fun loving, and has lots of friends.

The youngest is shy, loves music (plays the trombone), and can entertain himself easily, often by reading. He's also a darn good cook!

Both love football, though the younger one (the TALL, big one) is not really driven like his older brother. They're getting to the point where they can actually be together without killing each other--last summer, I was sure one or both would end up in the hospital. MAN, testosterone is POWERfUL.

Right before we left for Xmas, they DID break the front window "wrestling". Sigh. They are working it off over break.

Both don't care for horses...that's what "mom does", and what respectable adolescent male wants to do what mom does? I'm sad in part because I spend less time with them, but it DOES give me much needed "me" time, for which I'm grateful!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I wasn't going to respond when I first starting reading the thread but then the further I read the more I read about older children so here goes.

My oldest son is 21 - in third year university - environmental science and is absolutely fascinated with trees, forests and swamps. He also events - we just bought a 3 yr old han/tb mare for him that has time to grow up while he finishes university. Here is their pic:
    http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...11-10-22-1.jpg

Younger son is 18 - in his first year of college - police foundations - loves it - and also events - he has a 6 yr old Selle Francais Mare that is 17.3hh -

Here is their pic:
    http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...11-08-13-4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    OP, my kids are a similar age gap and similar in personality too!

My DD is 5, and we adopted her when she was 1.5 days old. She is one of the most intense, amazing kids I've ever met. Her motto in life should be Go Big or Go Home. She does everything in a HUGE way. There is no in between with her, ever. She's insanely bright, a total perfectionist, and if she puts her mind to something, she WILL get it done.

My son is 20 months now. He was the "surprise!" baby, and now that we have him I can't imagine life without him. He was a very needy, fussy infant, but has blossomed into a mellow, sweet, gentle little soul. He always has a smile on his face, and just has this easy breezy personality. He has a real passion for animals, already. He adores our dog and spends hours playing with her. He's a *total* Mama's Boy and I have to admit, I like it.

They are complete and total opposites, in personality and looks. DD is African American and has the most gorgeous, flawless skin and this amazingly thick, curly hair. DS is blonde, blue-eyed and so pale he might as well be transparent!
    WOw, our kids ARE alike! My eldest is definitely a "Go big or go home!" type of kid. He is so emotional, so opinionated, and so smart, and so exceedingly expressive...well, that combination can get him into trouble. His teacher, one of the best for kindergarten in the district (benefit of teaching in the same district--we can hand pick his school and teacher), has been teaching this age for 20+ years...and Boy 1.0 is a new creature for her. At first, she was worried he may have some sort of "issue" and wanted to have the psych evaluate him (Boy 1.0 has some interesting behaviors when he's overtired, bored, or emotional--like when he was dealing with the sudden death of our horse not long after school started)--but, as he adjusted to kinder, things have settled and it is no longer much of a concern for any of us. Hubby said to me once, "He's not normal! This is not normal--is something wrong?" My response was, "Saying he's not normal suggests there's something inherently wrong with him. I don't think that's the case. I think he's atypical." I stand by that. He is high intensity, high energy, highly reactive, and exceedingly bright. I know, everyone says that, but it's been the raised-eyebrow comment/insight given to us by his teacher, his preschool teachers, and the preschool directors. Our "atypical" child is currently assembling all of his Christmas Lego sets without help. He also now designs his own vehicles with loose pieces, including making a zamboni the other day after seeing one on TV (I didn't even realize he knew the word!).

Boy 1.0 is fair-skinned, but more olive-toned in base, with dark hair. Boy 2.0 is blond with freakin' translucent skin. Both have brown eyes, though 2.0's eyes are more of a light brown/hazel.

Boy 2.0, like your son, was my colicky one. Those weeks about killed me. God bless Zoloft. It turned out he was milk protein insensitive, so when I cut all dairy out of my diet, the excruciating gas and ear-piercing screams stopped. He is now my low key, take-it-as-it-comes tough guy. Whereas 1.0 screams bloody murder and sobs like the world is ending when he gets an owie, 2.0 shows up cries about 10 seconds before moving on.

2.0, like your younger, is also my animal lover. I got him a stuffed rocking horse this Christmas in hopes it will divert his energy and focus away from trying to crush/maim/kill our cats and dog with his over-affection. 1.0 is vehicularly obsessed, and has been since he was 10mos old. By age 2.5, he could name over 35 types of vehicles--more than I still can to this day, heh--both in pictures and in books. He likes animals and did ride in his first leadline class in October, but I would be genuinely surprised if he develops any real interest in horses.

Oh, and recall how I said he requires more supervision? I stepped out of the living room to get a trash bag, leaving 2.0 with a pile of new Christmas toys for about 10 seconds. When I came back, what had he picked up and chosen to play with? The large pair of scissors I'd inadvertantly left on the coffee table.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I have a 2.5 yr old daughter who is a wonderful joy. Like rustbreeches we have always done attachment parenting method and it has really been wonderful for our family but man, it has been draining for me. Luckily I re-discovered riding this fall, and now ride 3-4x a week, and DD quickly became equally horse-obsessed. The woman I ride with has four horses so plenty for me and DH (who has started riding) to ride, but she doesn't have a pony so we are in the process of looking for a pony for her to learn to ride on, and she just got her first helmet and breeches for Christmas.

She is fiery, determined, stubborn and silly. I often refer to her as our own little dictator, but I wouldn't have her any other way. She is a girl who will never been pushed aside, stepped on or ignored. I have faith she will always be a strong woman as an adult, as long as we continue to nurture her faith in her self. She can be a struggle for me, as I am not like that, she gets all of that personality from DH.

She is kind and generous, loving and inventive. Having her (which was a bit of a surprise) has been one of the absolute best gifts in my life. I can't wait to see where she goes and what she does (and I hope that involves horses!)