The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How close is too close? Florestan great grand sire twice

I have a friend who has offered me the option of doing a custom breeding with one of her broodmares (since I am in love with the mare). I have a stallion in mind who I would really like to use but his grand sire is Florestan and the broodmare's grandsire is also Florestan..... is this too close? I see a lot of horses with Donnerhall all over their pedigree - would there be any issue with having Florestan blood being double upped in the pedigree?

I like this particular cross because they both have dual purpose pedigrees (jumping and dressage) and I really just want a carbon copy of the mare and this stallion looks almost identical to her, which is why I picked him.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

What you are proposing has been done for eons to set type in many different breeds and registries--i.e Hannover and Fling.

You'd want to do some deep research into the breeding index and heritability index numbers, and you'd want to know if there are genetic problems of any kind that Florestan passed on. But if he hasn't gotten a reputation for passing on specific problems the concept of a double great grandsire wouldn't bother me personally at all.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Get to know Florestan. See all the video you can of him and offspring, look for grand get to see if you see the traits you are interested coming through. Read the http://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/fro...ern-warmblood/ and see what is on the lines via Chris Hector. You are concentrating the Florestan but dont forget any other horses you are doubling up on that you may not like so much. Check the mares offspring by other stallions and the same for the stallions you want to use. Line breeding is how you make charecteristics more predictable, or undesirable traits stronger, but using the warmblood breeding societies they are already working for you to confirm type so use the judgement of those who have a good feel for the goals of the societies. Be clear to yourself exactly why you like this mare so much and if a carbon copy is really what you want the traits you like may not have come from Florestan. Good luck. PatO

Thanks for the help. They share no other relatives - just Florestan. So I will do some more research on him. The stallion owner will be a great help too - she is sure to know way more than I do about what her stallion will cross best with. Plus she has several stallions that I really like. :-)

i put this up a couple of years ago - maybe it is of help for you.
    http://www.hippologi.com/WAFtheFline.htm