The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default open front boots; fitting popped splint

My youngster popped a splint a couple months back. No unsoundness, but it's kind of big and ugly. It's on the medial side, quite proximal.

I'm trying to find open front jump boots for jump schooling that will at least try to "mold" around it as best as they can. The ones I have are quite stiff (brand name is escaping me right now; they're hand-me-downs from my BFF and not a brand I recognize). Any suggestions?

Maybe give equifit t-boots a try. I let my friend borrow mine and they fit her mare, who also has a popped splint, well because the 'tfoam' molded around it.

Agreed. T boots are the way to go.

I have had good luck with Roma open fronts if you don't want to spend all the money on T-boots!

Have you considered "cryo" surgery for your horse's splint? I had a horse pop a splint between shows. A friend recommended cryo-surgery for the splint - I had never heard of it previously. The Vet has a probe that freezes the splint killing the bone. Once the bone is frozen - no more heat or pain. After a few months what is left is absorbed and no blemish is left behind. My horse got ribbons at the Hamptons Horse Show, the next week had the procedure, and the week after showed at The Autumn Classic and was reserve champion in one of the hunter divisions.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I also use cheapie no-name open front boots. They have something soft in the lining and never bother my horse's fugly popped splint. Unless your horse seems sensitive to palpation after riding in the ones you have, why spend the money?

I ended up with these because the Equifit boots (makers of the T-boots) were too small in the M/L size. The lining in those is super squishy, which is why I tried them, but the ones I ended up with are fine.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

My gelding has a large popped splint on the inside of his RF and a huge lump of scar tissue on the outside of his LF (old injury). I have tried MANY brands/styles of open front boots, including Roma, Eskadron, Intec......none of them worked well. Most of them just slide down his legs. The Eskadrons stayed up, but they were too tight in his 'problem areas' and eventually caused rubs.

I now only use polos in front.
    friend of bar.ka

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Have you considered "cryo" surgery for your horse's splint?
    It doesn't bother him one iota lameness-wise, so I'm definitely not going to do that invasive of a procedure just for cosmetic purposes. But thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Unless your horse seems sensitive to palpation after riding in the ones you have, why spend the money?
    Because I'm anticipating there being a problem with rubbing, as LuvMyTB pointed out. I can't imagine that after time, there won't be, and I don't want rubs/white hair on top of an already ugly blemish.