The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Loading Your Horse

There's been several questions re: loading trainining recently. Just noticed this article in US Rider magazine:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...7#/5de01b67/10

IMO, John Lyons teaches the most effective, useable training techniques for the majority of us. Highly recommended!!

and thanks to US Rider for publishing very useful information.

There is an ancient John Lyons VHS tape of this technique....it is an excellent method works every time. Not sure if there is a current DVD.

His loading techniques is probably some of his only useful material. I thoroughly approve, and yes, it does ALWAYS work, if you take the time and multiple sessions needed for a tricky loader. It is NOT a one-session thing, if you have a horse who is genuinely difficult with loading. Like the first paragraph says, the horse might not even get on the trailer the first day.

Just as a related aside....as the owner of a truck and trailer who likes to help out when needed....nothing guarantees that I will never offer up my trailer services to you again if I am standing in the rain for an hour watching you struggle with your horse who doesn't even have enough manners to step on the ramp. I don't have time for that nonsense, or the ensuing damage to my trailer. Let me assure you, it's NOT A COINCIDENCE that all my horses load perfectly. (Recent comment from someone: "Oh, you're SO LUCKY that you ended up with good loaders!" Err, or I took the time to train them?!!?)
    Well isn't this dandy?

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I don't have time for that nonsense, or the ensuing damage to my trailer. Let me assure you, it's NOT A COINCIDENCE that all my horses load perfectly. (Recent comment from someone: "Oh, you're SO LUCKY that you ended up with good loaders!" Err, or I took the time to train them?!!?)
    As a horse owner who does not have a truck and trailer of her own.....much of trailer loading manners is simple practice, and without one of my own I cannot practice it with my horse. So GFAG, it could be that it isn't about manners as much as it is about experience. I train my horses every time I handle them in re: leading, but leading through a barn, in a pasture, around an arena is (from the horse perspective) nothing at all like leading into a narrow box that might be dark and noisy/scary.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    As a horse owner who does not have a truck and trailer of her own.....much of trailer loading manners is simple practice, and without one of my own I cannot practice it with my horse. So GFAG, it could be that it isn't about manners as much as it is about experience. I train my horses every time I handle them in re: leading, but leading through a barn, in a pasture, around an arena is (from the horse perspective) nothing at all like leading into a narrow box that might be dark and noisy/scary.
    Well, no one has ever asked to borrow my rig to practice loading, which I would be more than happy to help them out with.
    Well isn't this dandy?

Actually, yes, you can do most of your trailer training without a trailer -- you can train that "no matter what, you go forward when I ask." It just takes a little creativity and time to build that relationship with your horse and present them with odd situations and tight spaces to move through. If the horse has a good forward cue and solid groundwork, no one will be standing in the rain for an hour. I'm with you, Gallop, I'm happy to help, but I'm not dealing with the obnoxious non-loader. Funny, everyone gives me the same comment about my horses, like they just magically decide to get in the trailer by themselves, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Well, no one has ever asked to borrow my rig to practice loading, which I would be more than happy to help them out with.
    fair enuff.

One of the things that makes me crazy about trailer loading is that people don't practice it BEFORE they need it. They practice riding, they practice up and down transitions, they practice all sorts of things but they don't practice loading. I don't know if many feel the horses should just do it, or they don't think about it or what the issue is, but it seems like they wait till the day of the show or the day the horse needs hauled to a vet (if ill it simply adds another stress) to get that horse on a trailer.

That seems foolish to me. I also think horses should be loaded into as many *kinds* of trailers as you can think of.....straight load, slant load, new ones, old ones, 2 horse, stock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Actually, yes, you can do most of your trailer training without a trailer -- you can train that "no matter what, you go forward when I ask." It just takes a little creativity and time to build that relationship with your horse and present them with odd situations and tight spaces to move through. If the horse has a good forward cue and solid groundwork, no one will be standing in the rain for an hour. I'm with you, Gallop, I'm happy to help, but I'm not dealing with the obnoxious non-loader. Funny, everyone gives me the same comment about my horses, like they just magically decide to get in the trailer by themselves, LOL.
    give me a scenario NOT using a trailer where there is a noisy, dark, metal sounding place to practice. Oh, and that step up on some trailers. Personally I can't think of a single one. The barn we board at is open and airy, the stalls are box stalls and the way we get the horses out is open and airy as well. The aisle and the stalls are level, no step up.

I feel trailer loading is practice and like any training it can be good or bad training

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post

That seems foolish to me. I also think horses should be loaded into as many *kinds* of trailers as you can think of.....straight load, slant load, new ones, old ones, 2 horse, stock etc.
    Oof, yes. Nothing like "I don't know WHY Peanut won't load into your 2-horse, he always goes right onto the 20-horse stock trailer my barn owner has!"

You're right, it's a skill that needs to be practiced. That's your choice if you are okay with struggling with a horse for two hours on show morning. But it needs to go beyond that, to emergency situations. I am lucky in that I live in a fairly "safe" area, but I make sure to gently point out to people that if there is some sort of emergency, whether it be encroaching flood waters, a fire, or whatever, NO ONE is going to risk their lives waiting two hours to get a horse on a trailer. So they're going to have to leave Pookie behind.

From a more practical and realistic angle, at least for my area, you're right again....in terms of getting a colicking or badly-injured horse to the vet clinic...you want them to hop right on that trailer best they can, not put up a fight.
    Well isn't this dandy?