The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 14 wk Male Pup & 1 yr unspayed female...question!

I board dogs at my house (little side job of Pet sitting!). I don't take more than 2-4 dogs at a given time and treat them like my own. I had agreed to take a regular client of mine's 14 week old Lab puppy they just got for the next week (he comes tomorrow!). Last minute my friend asked me to take her just turned 1 year old female pitbull dog too for a week where they over lap by the next 3 days. I thought she was spayed, but learned she wasnt at drop off time. Do I need to worry that the 14 week old pup could get the female preggo??? The female has never gone into heat yet. I would love it, assuming we all are one big happy family, if they can all play in the yard together...
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I wouldn't do that! Early puberty does happen and it isn't that far away in any case. Keep them both well contained away from each other!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

14 weeks you are still OK in my experience, but once you press beyond 6 months you're in trouble. However, I'd be worried of that female going into heat very soon if she's a year and still hasn't had her first heat...and of course the problem of IF she goes into heat while she's with you, will it motivate the male?....

My experience lies only with shelter puppies, everything in my house looses its junk the second it hits anesthesia age so I don't have lots of first hand experience. For liability purposes in general of watching other people's dogs I'd say let them play separately.

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    For liability purposes in general of watching other people's dogs I'd say let them play separately.
    This, definitely. It will probably be a pain to keep them separate, but an unexpected pregnancy would put you in a LOT more trouble!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I would keep them apart whenever you're not supervising them, but if the female isn't showing any signs of heat yet she's not going to be fertile in under a week. From the time they start to swell and show signs of heat you have about 2 weeks before they are receptive to a male, and ovulating.

And if that boy is thinking about using his parts at 14 weeks man oh man are those owners gonna be in for a fun ride! He'll be hell on 4 legs in no time!!

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Well, unless the female is in receptive heat it's a total non issue. This would be the days/weeks immediately AFTER she is done bleeding.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

First off, no dogs I watch are with other dogs when not supervised. They are all crated when I'm not home or during the night. So there will always be supervision!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    I would keep them apart whenever you're not supervising them, but if the female isn't showing any signs of heat yet she's not going to be fertile in under a week. From the time they start to swell and show signs of heat you have about 2 weeks before they are receptive to a male, and ovulating.
    Katherine
    Vet Tech
    This.
    First heat in dogs is usually very noticeable

And if that boy is thinking about using his parts at 14 weeks man oh man are those owners gonna be in for a fun ride! He'll be hell on 4 legs in no time!!

The intact dogs I know are very well behaved.

Well, unless the female is in receptive heat it's a total non issue.
    ditto. Lots of people own intact dogs of mixed genders and they don't keep them separated "just in case she goes into heat". It's not something that happens in the space of a few minutes while you're not looking, the way it is with teenage humans.

It's good that you asked though. It's always better to ask before a situation than after.

A former friend had a mother poodle, daughter poodle and a six-month old boy poodle (yes, both younger were from the mommy dog), and the owner was shocked that the boy impregnated both girls while she was gone visiting. The way Gladys put it was "But they're his Mom and sister!" Gladys was a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White