The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diarado

At the upcoming 2012 Munich Stallion Days 3 Diarado's will be presented. It seems people like to see his get, so enjoy. http://suedpferde.pro-equi.de/cms/fr...at=52&pageno=7
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Thanks for posting the link. Looking at Diarado’s foals reminds me of the impression I had when we first saw video of him a few years ago. Has anyone mentioned to the horse that there is a force on the planet that we refer to as GRAVITY?

Unfortunately , his two sons in Nuemunster last month didn't inherit.

Someone want to buy number 51 for me? He's adorable and seems like he has a great temperament.

It’s too early to say what Diarado or his progeny will do in competition… so the jury ("j" not "f" thank you ne1)is out… but from these three videos it seems that he stamps his foals… and that may prove to be an extraordinary plus for breeders seeking predictability about a particular phenotype / ability.
    Last edited by Cartier; Dec. 24, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

All breeders should remind themselves of the story of the Green Monkey.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    It’s too early to say what Diarado or his progeny will do in competition… so the fury is out… but from these three videos it seems that he stamps his foals… and that may prove to be an extraordinary plus for breeders seeking predictability about a particular phenotype / ability.
    i think that was 'jury', above, and this member is back. as i've said before, the only thing that was unique and noteable about this horse when he first showed up is not being transmitted to his offspring. that phenomenal jump was worth risking a breeding or two for, but none of his jump like he did as a 2yo at neumunster.

there were risks to breeding to him too, particularly his pony-ish size, frame and stature.

all that's left now are the risks. i can get the good things he still brings from other stallions, but without those risks.

not one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoonfarms View Post
    At the upcoming 2012 Munich Stallion Days 3 Diarado's will be presented. It seems people like to see his get, so enjoy. http://suedpferde.pro-equi.de/cms/fr...at=52&pageno=7
    Thanks for link Denise I have spent much too much time watching stallions when I should be wrapping presents and finishing those christmas cookies, lol!!

Just like any other stallion Diarado needs to be bred to the right mare. There are "risks" involved in breeding with any stallion. Genes can pop up from way back when and be a good or a bad thing. Breeders can do all of the research in the world and in the end Mother Nature still "rolls the dice". An educated breeder is the best breeder and in this instance it is now known what type of mare suits Diarado best but there are still no guarantees. I used to own a Karandasj mare that I treasured so I am drawn to # 64. I hope these horses are successful for their breeders and owners at the upcoming Stallion Days in Jan. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Anyways, lots of nicely bred stallions will be presented. Happy Holidays

Cartier & Railmom - Glad you enjoyed watching them
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoonfarms View Post
    Just like any other stallion Diarado needs to be bred to the right mare. There are "risks" involved in breeding with any stallion. Genes can pop up from way back when and be a good or a bad thing. Breeders can do all of the research in the world and in the end Mother Nature still "rolls the dice". An educated breeder is the best breeder and in this instance it is now known what type of mare suits Diarado best but there are still no guarantees. I used to own a Karandasj mare that I treasured so I am drawn to # 64. I hope these horses are successful for their breeders and owners at the upcoming Stallion Days in Jan. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Anyways, lots of nicely bred stallions will be presented. Happy Holidays

Cartier & Railmom - Glad you enjoyed watching them
    "Genes can pop up from way back" ? Not with this mother line. Corofino , Camiros , Coriano , Crawford , Diarado........all examples of genes popping up with regularity in the male offspring. If you know the motherline......you will know exactly why genetically.

Not saying it's not good , quite the opposite. You just have to be very careful when using stallions from this line. They need specific mares.

Quote Originally Posted by gortmore View Post
    Someone want to buy number 51 for me? He's adorable and seems like he has a great temperament.
    He looks so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post

Not saying it's not good , quite the opposite. You just have to be very careful when using stallions from this line. They need specific mares.
    Please educate us, Bayhawk! I am assuming you are speaking about choosing long-lined and larger rather than smaller mares, but please give us more specifics. TIA!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

I was always hoping we would see some nice hunters from him. It will be fun to look in the next few years

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    Please educate us, Bayhawk! I am assuming you are speaking about choosing long-lined and larger rather than smaller mares, but please give us more specifics. TIA!
    Yes, Michele. These stallions must have longlined, leggy , tall mares. They all are this way and it's due directly to the motherline. Same with the mare Bravo , mother of Contendro , Caretano , Cassito etc. These stallion sons are like copies of one another.

This is why I keep harping on the fact that one needs to get on their muck boots and slog around the pastures where the families of these stallions reside.

If you don't know the mothers of the stallions you breed with , you don't know anything and you're just inseminating mares..... not breeding them.

If it's impossible to see the mothers of say QDR......get on the horn and talk to breeders and find out EXACTLY how these horses are breeding. The info is out there.

No expert here… but if I am a rider approaching a jump, it seems to me that I have an expectation of my horse’s upcoming effort - based upon the actual size of the jump. If my horse over-jumps the obstacle by a foot and a half, won’t that throw me right out of the tack? And, in a timed jump off, isn’t it best to not spend more time in the air than absolutely necessary to clear the jump? There is video of Diarado jumping where (tongue in cheek) you almost wonder about his vision. He over jumps by so much one wonders if he correctly sees the size of the obstacle in front of him.

Yes, Michele. These stallions must have longlined, leggy , tall mares. They all are this way and it's due directly to the motherline. Same with the mare Bravo , mother of Contendro , Caretano , Cassito etc. These stallion sons are like copies of one another.

This is why I keep harping on the fact that one needs to get on their muck boots and slog around the pastures where the families of these stallions reside.

If you don't know the mothers of the stallions you breed with , you don't know anything and you're just inseminating mares..... not breeding them.

If it's impossible to see the mothers of say QDR......get on the horn and talk to breeders and find out EXACTLY how these horses are breeding. The info is out there.
    Many thanks, Reece!

In the instance of QDR and the expected custom foal, we did do due diligence and that, coupled with our client's wishes, prompted us to endorse the choice.

That particular mare, Julia du Brio, is currently in foal to Contendro I, a choice that we ourselves made. Her performance record (international GP), temperament, rideability and SIZE confirmed us in this choice.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Is anyone going to this event? I'd love to go see these boys and can't read all of the German details dates/times. Anyone care to pass along translation?

Here is some info:
    "2012 Munich Stallion Days
    The Southern German breeders will all come together in Munich on January 26th through 28th to present a total of 80 three year old stallions for licensing. The stallions will all be presented in hand, have to free jump and be shown on the lunge line. The majority of the stallions will become for sale at the auction, which starts at 2 pm on January 28th, 2012. Videos of most stallions are available (see above link to the catalogue)."

You can contact Susanne Lauda and she will be more than happy to give you all the info you need. I did see a timeline in English but I can't find it now. You can contact Susanne at wuerttemberger@comcast.net I want to go and am not sure at this time if I will be able to make it or not. Looks like a very nice collection of stallions will be presented with some interesting bloodlines.
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    Many thanks, Reece!

In the instance of QDR and the expected custom foal, we did do due diligence and that, coupled with our client's wishes, prompted us to endorse the choice.

That particular mare, Julia du Brio, is currently in foal to Contendro I, a choice that we ourselves made. Her performance record (international GP), temperament, rideability and SIZE confirmed us in this choice.
    I'm glad you have a custom foal coming out of two top jumping parents but as often is the case......the foal doesn't perform like the parents.

I have had customers demand foals from top of the sport mothers. So far , not one of them has reached the potential of the parents performance. Top performing mares are very often individual exceptions with tremendous ability. They need to come from a line of known inheritors.

You have this top performing mare in foal to world famous QDR. Nice........but as an example, the non famous Cicera's Icewater might make the better horse .

Not knocking all your written hype surrounding your contract for this custom foal, as you have every right to be proud , but for me..... it's all just hot air because at the end of the day , you have just a foal. we don't ride those , jump those or breed those. This is where selection comes in.

You have this top performing mare in foal to world famous QDR. Nice........but as an example, the non famous Cicera's Icewater might make the better horse .

...you have just a foal. we don't ride those , jump those or breed those. This is where selection comes in.
    Your advice is always welcome and useful, Reece. Actually, it is not "we" who just have a foal, which will be owned by our client, a GP competitor in Europe and, of course, there is "many a slip between the cup and the lip", the lip being in this instance a GP horse competitive in Europe. It is the client who has selected QdR as a sire ( a choice that we endorsed after careful research and consultation), it is the client who will be riding and jumping and who knows, possibly breeding. Cicera's Icewater is indeed an interesting sire given his dam--Cavalier Royale is a sire whose name had been mentioned by our client as a possibiltiy. His unavailability in NA as well as Cicera's Icewater's lack of approval by a European-based studbook preclude their use by the client competing and possibly breeding in Europe and using our mare who is located here. We do recall your own assertion that the sons of QdR seem to be outshining their father.

Be that as it may, we have taken into consideration the advice of a European world-renown breeder of jumpers to breed international GP competitor to international GP competitor and that this is an excellent choice for Julia. We have sought not to trumpet this breeding excessively as we have nothing to prove except, perhaps, that it is possible to sell back to Europe to a knowledgeable pro.

Christmas is nearly here- let us now celebrate its spirit and the opportunity learn from one another, rejoice in one another's successes and future projects and take full pleasure in the wonderful horses we are so fortunate to have!
    Last edited by Sakura Hill Farm; Dec. 24, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook