The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does a cat add to christmas?

IMO, a cat is a crucial ingredient for this holiday.

There are many reasons:

You don't even have to ask a cat to help with the wrapping. They just show up, work boots on (read: claws unsheathed).

The whole "bring a tree inside (where the heat is) and hang shiny, rarely-seen stuff on it" is a cat-centric idea.

Staying home with your family doing your very best to embody a Norma Rockwell day gets tough. That's why people give up and go to movies, go out to eat chinese food, get tired in the snow outside. A cat is almost as good. It's also cheaper and less work.

Any other reasons to keep a cat on christmas?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    go to movies, go out to eat chinese food,
    OMG this IS what we will be doing on Sunday!!

Apparently my one cat, Ben, has decided I'm bad at tying ribbon on presents and has been giving me helpful hints on which ones need redone all week by undoing them for me. I've caught him in the act several times.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Who else will:
    *Shed (decorative) hair on your holiday clothes?
    *Walk across the festively set dinner table while non cat-owning guests look on in horror
    *Reach a paw onto the table fishing for scraps - adding demanding Me-Ow! when guests fail to dispense
    *ingest tinsel strands then display from the other end
    *separate holiday trash into recyclable & non (this is what they're doing when they empty the bin, right?)
    *assist you in the kitchen by winding helpfully through your legs as you rush from counter to oven, preferably when you are holding something hot and/or liquid
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Entertainment Value: Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Who else will:
    *Shed (decorative) hair on your holiday clothes?
    *Walk across the festively set dinner table while non cat-owning guests look on in horror
    *Reach a paw onto the table fishing for scraps - adding demanding Me-Ow! when guests fail to dispense
    *ingest tinsel strands then display from the other end
    *separate holiday trash into recyclable & non (this is what they're doing when they empty the bin, right?)
    *assist you in the kitchen by winding helpfully through your legs as you rush from counter to oven, preferably when you are holding something hot and/or liquid

Mine have gotten out all the wrapping supplies for me. Helpfully arranged them all on the dining room floor, too.

It's also a source of amazement that my girl cat knows which stocking is hers. There are catnip mice in four stockings--3 cats and the dog that only likes catnip toys. But my girl cat has taken her own stocking down three times now and removed her own toy. She has no interest in the other stockings. She sits on the mantel and stares down into her stocking for hours.

yes, ll of the above!

Reminds me...I did not buy new catnip toy.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

^ I found the best cat toy ever. I bought my boys a laser pointer this year.

I didn't expect it to be a hit. My boys are 10 and 14, I adopted them when they were already seniors, and I figured a laser pointer would only appeal to kittens. But it was something different and the price was right, so I figured I'd try it.

Not true they wouldn't like it - they are amazed by the dot. They'll bite at it and bat at it then meow to themselves all WTF? cause nothing's there. It's too cute.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Mine will keep me from putting anything that resembles bows or ribbons on my gifts. "Damn Kitty" likes to eat said items and then pukes them all over the house.

We have gone for a small table top tree these past couple of years so this is more of a non issue now. But when we did a normal sized tree...I couldn't put any ornaments on the bottom half because Damn Kitty would have them strewn all over the house as well. When Damn Kitty finally decides to go to the light...we'll go back to a regular sized tree.

I talked about Damn Kitty in that "pets you don't care for thread" that's why I call him Damn Kitty.

I just left the home of a friend where her black cat had enchantingly wound himself around the nativity scene, and was staring up at us with his gorgeous, yellow eyes. So, I would say that enhancement of the decor is something cats bring to Christmas. And count me as another who forgot to get more catnip mice for the stockings.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

If you didn't have a cat at christmas who would inspect every bag that came in the house? And who would test out all the presents by at least laying on every one of them if not opening them? LOL!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I returned home today to find my white cat asleep on the chair next to the computer, sleeping soundly while classical Christmas music emanated from my computer, with her head resting on a store-bought green bow. Adorable!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

They keep you warm while you watch Christmas movies.

They keep you warm if it rains all day Christmas Day and you go back to bed after breakfast.

They are far more entertaining than most Christmas movies.

They don't tell you the catnip mouse was the wrong color/size/thing and then wake you up at the crack of dawn the day after Christmas Day to take them to the mall to exchange the mouse.

They help you eat up the leftover turkey.

They keep you warm when you can't afford to turn on the heat and they aren't embarrassed if you tell them you couldn't afford a catnip mouse this year and they will eat canned tuna with you if you can't afford turkey. AND they will make biscuits on you all day long!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Here's what my kitty added to my Christmas wrapping tonight -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

(let me know if it doesn't work...I did change the permissions!)

Haha - that is so cute! She's got the prettiest big eyes - adorable kitty!!

They keep me humble, and I love having two of them jockey for position on my lap.

They made my Xmas decorating so much easier this year - we put up the plastic tree for a day with no ornaments and everything else was at least three feet off the ground.

Boy were they easy to please at gift giving time!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It's entertaining watching them get "high" on catnip and then sleep it off slumped over the cat tree.

It gives you a great excuse to leave the Christmas boxes laying around. They make great cat houses. They add a special challenge when trying to crochet a Christmas scarf.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.