The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question High neck turnouts vs. regular neck turnout?

Has anyone had problems or was unsatisfied with high neck (heavyweight) turnout? Did they put pressure on withers and/or rub? Or do you guys prefer a regular cut heavyweight turnout with a hood? Let me know! Thanks!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

I have a Saxon heavyweight with a neckcover, and haven't found that it rubs at all. If anything I think having the neckcover lifts it off the withers a bit more. I would never turn a horse out with a hood, there's just too much potential for it to slip/ block their vision etc.

my mare wears only high neck turnouts b/c of her narrow shoulders. her heaviest winter blanket has an attached neck cover. no issues with pressure or rubs on the neck or withers with any of her turnouts. (shoulders are a different story but i'm hoping to put an end to that with a bossy bib).
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Love love LOVE love love LOVE my high neck turnouts LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I find that more pressure on the point of shoulder and withers with the regular.

Meh.

I tried a high neck that was on sale two winters ago, and thankfully it went from the large pony mare I bought it for to the short-coupled ISH 2.5 yo this winter just fine. But the neck part just...folds/wrinkles back. No real benefit. Maybe because it's a sheet, with no fill? No real issue with rubs on either the shoulder or the mane (a bit on the mane of the pony mare, who was blessed with sharky withers), but no real benefit either.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Meh is a good term.

I have several of each, and although the higher neck ones (I'm talking a small way up the mane) do keep their chest and shoulders drier, I hate how they rub the mane.

I have recently become a convert to detachable neck covers, since I now own a mostly-white pinto who loves to grind his head and neck into the mud several times a day! It does a very nice job keeping him warm and dry (and clean!) and it does not ruin his mane. The blanket to which it attaches also fits him well, which helps.
    Click here before you buy.

I really like the very high neck ones that some makers are calling combo neck. I find it rubs my guy's withers less than the standard neck ones do. If I layer I actually will put the standard neck sheet or blanket on top of the high neck. Looks strange but no rubs.
    He is also a grey and white pinto. I love that it keeps his whole neck clean.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

In my opinion my gelding's high-neck turnout blanket reduced pressure on the withers, reduced shoulder rubs, and kept the mane nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    In my opinion my gelding's high-neck turnout blanket reduced pressure on the withers, reduced shoulder rubs, and kept the mane nicer.
    me too.
    I have a Rambo high neck turnout sheet that my horse loves and it does not push, pull, smash or otherwise constrict his body. Same with the Schneiders high-neck, though that one is a HW and we don't use it much here in temperate CA.

I think it depends on your horse. My guy's high withers and wide shoulders are really constricted by the regular style weatherbeetas. Am happy to have the option of high-necks.

My stocky mule wore a high-neck blanket last winter and by the spring his neck-hairs stopped growing in on the tiny spot where the blanket rested. It was only a 1/2" gap in his hair growth but it was enough to give me pause about using the blanket again.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I had a retired mare that spent all her time scanning the pasture boarders for horse eating monsters.

She was out 24/7, and never completely used her run-in even in the severest weather. The extent that she used the run-in was to park her butt inside, and leave her head and shoulders exposed to the elements so she could remain ever vigilant to her imaginary dangers, walking into the run-in quickly to grab a bite of hay from the rack where her gelding friend would be peacefully nibbling, and then circling back to guard the entrance once again.

In a regular blanket this mare with her 24/7 giraffe like watching posture, caused all the rain and melted snow to trickle down her highly held neck and run under her blanket causing her to become soaked during any severe wet weather.

In a well fitted high neck blanket she always remained dry, so therefor that is what she wore.

Are you asking because of the sweet Tack of the Day deal?

Depends on the horse's neck and shoulder conformation, in my experience.

I like how the Rambo Wug with the high neck sits on the Thoroughbred I'm riding. He's a withery, medium build with an average neck.

The same blanket sort of creased and folded on my tubby, bull-necked Appaloosa.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I've used a number of different blanket designs. I think how well the various choices work really depend on how well the blanket is made, and what the horse really needs. Climate & clipping, turn-out or stall-kept, etc. Horses generate a lot of their own heat, and the high-neck holds in more heat - that can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.

I have found that high necks work better for smaller shorter lengthwise horses. My 15.2hh mare gets wither and shoulder rubs from the standard neck blankets, the just don't sit right on her so she gets a high neck or "european cut" blanket. My 17.1hh gelding on the other had fits very well into the standard neck blankets. The standard neck comes up past his withers so it doesn't sit on them like it does my mare and fits his shoulders very well. My gelding also gets cheap blankets because it only take him a week or so to get a good rip in his blanket, my mare on the other had has had all of her blankets for at least 3 years. I don't care what the "D" is on a blanket if they're going to rip it they rip it.

My gelding is about 17hh with monster withers. I got him the high neck in order to keep the pressure off his withers and I think it works. He also has a low neck set which makes wither pressure more of a problem, but the high neck seems to work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    Are you asking because of the sweet Tack of the Day deal?

Depends on the horse's neck and shoulder conformation, in my experience.

I like how the Rambo Wug with the high neck sits on the Thoroughbred I'm riding. He's a withery, medium build with an average neck.

The same blanket sort of creased and folded on my tubby, bull-necked Appaloosa.
    I got my Tack of the Day blanket today (Rambo Wug no-fill sheet from 12/23 TOTD) and it's beautiful. Very dark chocolate color with green trim, and the front closure looks more secure than my other Wug (I got it in 2007- it's been on two horses and is still in nearly-perfect condition)- more Velcro on the front. I'll report back with how it sits on Wizard's neck.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Love the high neck blankets. In my experience they fit so much better through the shoulder/chest (no gaping) and wither than the normal blankets. I used one on my pasture ornament to keep her warm instead of the full on neck cover - those things never stay on straight.

It probably just depends on the build of your horse what fits better, but I definitely give them a thumbs up.

Default Definitely Recommend!!

The Rambo Wug fits my horse absolutely perfectly and it's the best blanket I could've bought.

My horse is hard to fit blankets on because he has a big chest. Blankets are usually low-cut and could be very tight on his chest, no matter what the size - but the Rambo Wug solves this problem. No rubbing on the withers and is overall a better fit.

It's better to have the Rambo Wug rather than a turnout with a hood because the hood doesn't always stay on right.

The really high neck like this one -
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...e=PriceGrabber
    the velcro under the neck always comes off and I end up just folding over. Then it becomes a nice horse toy..

The necks like this one -
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...e=PriceGrabber
    Are really nice and these are the ones I try to buy. I have neck covers but havent used them yet.

These type put too much pressure on the withers and I have gotten rid of all these ones -
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

Now this high neck looks nice and I wanted to order one but I cannot find one big enough for my horse -
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...ket-7378p.aspx
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Default Good price on Rambo Optimo on ebay

350$ if no one bids it up. Says used little, but always ask if it is waterproof. Then if it isn't, you can get your $ back. These have only been out for a year, so even though I'm wary of used blankets, it should be in good shape.

The seller is also including a 200gm liner which does not come with the optimo when you buy it. So you would be getting another 40 or 50$ item for 350$ total.

I need that 200gm liner for one of my horses. I'd be delighted to buy it from anyone who buys this optimo.