The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Maybe you could try this: I have very long thighs but am thin, so a saddle with a big seat is not always a good solution for me. On some saddles, I take a couple of ponytail bands or even a 1/2 inch or so length of hose and put that over the front of the stirrup bars. Moves the stirrups back a bit and the flaps fit better. Just an idea.
    friend of bar.ka



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep. 17, 2011
    Location
    Cheney, WA
    Posts
    541

    Default

    I might have to try this trick! It will certainly make my husband happy if I stop buying saddles!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Maybe you could try this: I have very long thighs but am thin, so a saddle with a big seat is not always a good solution for me. On some saddles, I take a couple of ponytail bands or even a 1/2 inch or so length of hose and put that over the front of the stirrup bars. Moves the stirrups back a bit and the flaps fit better. Just an idea.
    Wow, that is BRILIANT!!! Not only would this help skinny-butted long-legged peeps, but also those who need/want the stirrup "back" a touch further. I'm going to try it, too (I'm the type that likes a stirrup bar set back slightly further)

    THANKS!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    Bumpin to see what OP did do with this found out my 9.5 yr old has the same problem, very long from hip to knee. She's battling her 15 in short flap Pessoa but it always puzzled me because according to her butt she still fits it. Now after dealing with some horrific chair seat for the last few weeks, i am understanding that it's the saddle causing the problem, but not just as easy as going up a size, she needs a forward flap too. So OP, what did you end up doing?



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep. 17, 2011
    Location
    Cheney, WA
    Posts
    541

    Default

    I'm curious too, I'm in a similar position but I'm 29! I need a 16" but can tend to do a 15.75 but the flaps are generally not where they need to be like these girls. I ride mostly in 16.5 and I can get my entire hand including my thumb and another finger or two behind me. I need a shorter flap (11-12") but something more forward. Much less because I have to put my stirrups up 2 holes when I go from my 15.1 and 15.3 hand horses to my new 12.2 pony! It seems like the only way to find something is to go custom, which I can't afford or hope that a used one with those specs come up in my price range! (Antares has one but its over budget) I'm on the saddle hunt right now and it makes me want to bang my head against a wall because I don't want to waste money shipping saddles back and forth across the country only to find that the flap won't work(tack stores around here suck when it comes to saddle shopping) I know certain models that won't work so that makes it easier in some senses but there are so many out there that I don't know about!



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2010
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I have VERY long legs. The only saddles I've ever found to fit are Butets. I know they make children's saddles so maybe check there? They are awesome saddles on top of it all.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2011
    Posts
    427

    Default

    I will definitely try that trick the Nines suggested as well!

    I'm only average in height (5'4'') but am all legs as well and most of the length is from my hip to knee.

    Very flat flaps were my best friend and when I had a horse of my own, I lucked into purchasing an older semi-custom saddle (originally made for a similarly built horse and rider). Definitely keep an eye out at your local consignment tack shops and see what is available.

    I also found that when I have to make do (by using a saddle with a too large seat so that my knees aren't going over the flap), a seat saver does seem to help me feel like I'm not swimming so much.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2008
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I had to order a saddle for my daughter at the same age. same issue. Now she has outgrown it and I had to order another. PM me. Might be able to help you out.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    Just found a saddle that fit her beautifully, like custom fit to her. It's an Equipe Pony saddle in 15.5 medium tree. Fit her leg so nicely, problem may be in fitting our TB/welsh cross narrow high withered pony it was too wide on her, though fixed with a Mattes pad somewhat. Trying an Antares tomorrow. I don't want to go with a more narrow tree since she's very underweight and undermuscled right now and is only going to get bulkier. ARGH. And the Equipe was 50% off... so I'd sure like to make it fit



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Ahhh, these super model baby girls!

    Right now we are waiting for a good time to either order an anteres or find a pessoa in better condition than hers and have my neighbor do a custom flap on it. She is riding with her stirrups too long to jump in a month, I need a solution. Pushing stirrup leather back DOES help but is quickly being outgrown, too.

    Head to wall on delay fo 30 days
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    ugh!!! I can't stress how much I loved this Equipe saddle... there's one on ebay for $1099 with a best offer option... 15.5 if anyone is interested. I think it may still work for us, just have to see if we can find anything else that fits our mare AND the kid.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Well, buy it. If it doesnt work for you and it works for me I will buy it from you!

    I dont think LMEqTs rear end will outgrow that for a long, long time...

    One more idea. Prestige hunter classic in a 16". LMEqT rides my big horse in one sometimes and it fits her beautifully.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Just found a saddle that fit her beautifully, like custom fit to her. It's an Equipe Pony saddle in 15.5 medium tree. Fit her leg so nicely, problem may be in fitting our TB/welsh cross narrow high withered pony it was too wide on her, though fixed with a Mattes pad somewhat. Trying an Antares tomorrow. I don't want to go with a more narrow tree since she's very underweight and undermuscled right now and is only going to get bulkier. ARGH. And the Equipe was 50% off... so I'd sure like to make it fit
    A mattes pad will not help the saddle fit much. Try an ecogold pad

    https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....dlglsq41kemp13

    or something with shims.

    When I was young...I struggled with this. Tall long legs (very skinny--not the problem anymore). You have to get something with a forward cut flap. And she may need to be in a larger seat size---seat size affects the balance it has nothing to do with a bigger butt. A saddle with a good balance that fits makes an unbelievable difference for a rider.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    A mattes pad will not help the saddle fit much. Try an ecogold pad

    https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....dlglsq41kemp13

    or something with shims.

    When I was young...I struggled with this. Tall long legs (very skinny--not the problem anymore). You have to get something with a forward cut flap. And she may need to be in a larger seat size---seat size affects the balance it has nothing to do with a bigger butt. A saddle with a good balance that fits makes an unbelievable difference for a rider.
    The Mattes pad we tried with it had shims... that's the only way we could get it to fit at all...



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    The Mattes pad we tried with it had shims... that's the only way we could get it to fit at all...
    bummer.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I second the ecogold pads. I have helped many clients whose horses were underdeveloped make due until they were closer to their final body shape or in some case when they were sales horses that you dont want to buy a saddle for.



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep. 17, 2011
    Location
    Cheney, WA
    Posts
    541

    Default

    I had an Equipe pony when I first got my filly. She outgrew it in about 6 mo! It was a very nicely made saddle though. I highly recommend them.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug. 31, 2011
    Location
    southeast Georgia
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    It's not conventional (anymore) but go with a completely flat flap. It will give you way more flexibility with fit than any flap with a knee roll. Joe Fargis has always had a similar "problem" with saddle fit in that when he rides a small horse he uses shorter irons. His knees sometimes go past the front of the saddle flap so he uses a flat one to this day.

    http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...2057/8752b.jpg

    I promise you will love what using a flat flap will do for the security of LMEqT's leg position.

    You will also love the prices. We have two Hermes saddles with knee cushions, but we ride this mare in a perfectly flat Crosby Sovereign that I got in mint condition last summer for $250.

    http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...illeHCJ2-1.jpg .
    If anyone is looking for a new flat youth saddle, check out this deal:

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=469



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2011
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ahhh, these super model baby girls!

    Right now we are waiting for a good time to either order an anteres or find a pessoa in better condition than hers and have my neighbor do a custom flap on it. She is riding with her stirrups too long to jump in a month, I need a solution. Pushing stirrup leather back DOES help but is quickly being outgrown, too.

    Head to wall on delay fo 30 days
    OMG!!! Is she going to be my jumping buddy? Now I know why we are making a jump field!!

    Another thought, what about pony jumper saddles? The European brands usually make a model with more forward flaps. They do tend to have deeper seats though too, but it is a thought.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep. 12, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    I found a saddle that I love that we bought for my daughter today. It's Antares will have to research what the numbers mean but it's 16 in seat and I think that alone helps her with her long thigh. The flap is not "forward" just the whole saddle has more room for her to fit into it. She still fit the 15in seat but her thigh did not Anyway I love the one we got! When we were in the tack shop, I met a woman who was looking at her in this saddle and said was 5'2" 100 lbs soaking wet and she said she rides in a 18 in because of her long thigh, so there you have it, it's not the size of the bum, it's the length of the thigh



Similar Threads

  1. equestrian themed dog names for tiny little girl!
    By rapazzini09 in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: May. 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
  2. Saddle Help-Long Legs, Flat Back
    By caryledee in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 11, 2011, 12:31 AM
  3. Saddle suggestions for long legs
    By Flipper in forum Eventing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Apr. 2, 2010, 11:42 AM
  4. ME: long legs HORSE: short back SADDLE HELP!!!!
    By Petstorejunkie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
  5. Super Long Hip to knee rider... saddle issue
    By jumpingmaya in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Mar. 30, 2009, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •