The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas present spinoff....

fivesock's link has a cart for sale that I've seen them advertise around a time or two and it always turns my head.

http://www.carolinacarriagesuperstor...carts.html#top

scroll nearly halfway down, on the left, its the little red one called Single Horse Driving Cart 2408014

Now, I dislike the red, and its not the right size for my horse anyhow... but am I crazy for finding this to be a cute sporty little style cart? I really like it a lot and would jump all over one if it showed up in my price range and size and not needing repairs.

Given that I am prone to impulsive purchases, could anyone tell the drawbacks of this cart? What I should keep an eye out for?

For instance, two weeks ago I very nearly bought this:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...3/7e85eed4.png

Sadly it was pony sized, but I half thought about buying a pony I'd been eying just so I could have an excuse to buy this

Am I crazy for liking these very stripped-down / minimalist vehicles? There must be a drawback to them as I don't see them a lot so they must not be popular. I don't even know what they might be called. Obviously for schooling on flat ground, not going to go out on trails in one of these. It just seems so sporty and light and simple.

I've been watching "Driven Dressage On the Aids" with Larry Poulin (neat he invented the bit my horse loves!), and have been lusting after the cart he drives his morgan stallion with, seems similar to what I'm interested in.

Thank you so much!

Oh and happy holidays everyone, I really am incredibly grateful for everyone's help and continued support.
    Replaying a painful memory over and over in your head is a form of self abuse. Toxic thoughts create a toxic life. Make peace with yourself and your past.

really?? Oh I'm so glad for you to steer me in the right direction and away from a mistake...

they're miserable to drive I take it?
    Replaying a painful memory over and over in your head is a form of self abuse. Toxic thoughts create a toxic life. Make peace with yourself and your past.

It looks like an OK cart. We have seen carts going thru the auction with a similar build, light, one seat, slat basket for your feet. Common name seems to be "Stallion or Stud Cart". Back in the day, stallions traveled to the mares, not the other way around. So this design of cart used was light to not wear horse out. They often had long miles to travel, only needed to hold the stallion handler, to go service the mares. Often they drove over and back home again the same day, so horse really got miles on him. Some well-bred or "name" stallions did a circut of towns. Owners put up posters with the day they would be in town for the mares, price of stud service, contract details for those interested. Stallion could do a couple hundred miles each month on his rounds. Covered a lot of mares to earn money for the owner.

Cheap for the few parts needed, spring for the seat. Have never figured why there was no backrest for long rides.

I am back to the same points named with the black wheeled cart, no backrest and too low seated to see over a horse of any size. Not what I would want.

Sellers have it advertised for a 16-17H horse, while the person holding shafts level, has them about waist high. I am going to say that the cart would not fit a horse that large, PROPERLY. Shafts would be tipped up, making seat lean backwards, VERY uncomfortable to ride in the cart very long, having to lean forward to stay in. Would also make the cart heavy on the shafts, not any kind of balanced with the tall horse. Cart could easily fit a smaller horse, but measuring level shaft height would be the best place to start. Maybe the person holding shafts is REALLY TALL, so my eyes got tricked.
    Last edited by goodhors; Dec. 23, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you so much, what a great history lesson! Really thank you.

Ok, I feel I should keep focused on something more modern and better suited like a Frey Sprint cart then if I want a light two wheeler.

Thank you a thousand times.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I can also tell you that this style is very common in breed barns for just simple exercising or jogging a horse. I use a similar style for breaking out horses. It's light weight and very minimalist if a horse has a fit, not much to get broken up in. I can vouch that they are very hard on your back. I really dislike having to use them for our breed classes but it's what's expected.The ones used if show have a vinyl basket for your feet but the seat is the same. imagine running a mile while stooped over. That's how my back feels after driving a horse for fifteen minutes.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Buck,

I am sure its a fine little cart, I am just not a fan of 2 wheels, they hurt your back, are hard to balance (sometimes) not easy to get in and out of.

Its just a personal preference.